Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#215923 - 01/29/11 10:41 PM Re: is dry gas still needed? [Re: ironraven]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
And that, Sue, is why we don't tell them :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#215964 - 01/30/11 12:44 PM Re: is dry gas still needed? [Re: Susan]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Susan
B_H, is your vehicle a dual-fuel type?

My work Suburban came from the factory as dual-fuel, and I've heard that that is what most government-use vehicles are. (Kind of two-faced: ready to use an alternative fuel, but preach against it to keep the favor of BigOil.)

If I remember correctly (no guarantees), you are far more likely to experience problems with bio-diesel than with alcohol in cold weather, but I think there can also be a problem with alcohol separating from the gasoline, and then it produces less power. I think that's how it goes. And the kind of alcohol is important, too. Methyl alcohol separates quite easily, ethanol does, but not as badly, and butyl alcohol doesn't at all.

Pure ethanol freezes at -173°F (-114°C), and pure gasoline freezes about -150°F, but I wonder by how much a little water throws those figures off?

Sue

Alcohol fuel comes in 4 grades in the rural areas here. I have tried both E-75 and E-85 in my flex-fuel Chevy Impala this winter with good results. When I purchased the car, the technician told me that the tank should be near empty when switching fuel types to avoid confusing the onboard computer that adjusts for different octanes. The coldest weather I have left it out overnight has been 18 below zero. I have not had any trouble with long distance driving, freezing, lack of power, or starting. There is a small difference in mileage and power, but in flatland freeway driving, the power difference is imperceptable, and fuel economy is 85-90% of gasoline. The price can be as much as 90 cents a gallon less than gasoline, but more oftern it is 50 cents less. I only wish our Chevy Trailblazer had the flex fuel option too. I am seeing more Suburbans and big pickups at the E-85 pumps these days. I'll ask some of them how their mileage is.

I pay a lot for fuel because I travel for a living. I don't mind the cost as much when cutting a check to Iowa Sheik Ole Olafsonn and his wife and 6 kids for the fuel.

#216022 - 01/31/11 03:18 AM Re: is dry gas still needed? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
I pay a lot for fuel because I travel for a living. I don't mind the cost as much when cutting a check to Iowa Sheik Ole Olafsonn and his wife and 6 kids for the fuel.

As they say, "buy local" whenever you can.

Sue

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.