Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#216005 - 01/30/11 09:17 PM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
There is an entire cottage industry centered around fear-mongering and carefully cultivating, farming, fear, hysteria, outrage, and hate.

True. Climate change hysteria is a perfect example.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#216007 - 01/30/11 10:15 PM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: Blast]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Blast

-Blast

LOL.

Exactly the opposite.

We have had political unrest before without irrecoverable disruptions to the energy supplies. But a rise of 5C would blow most of the assumptions about weather, growing food, and where better than a billion people presently on low lying land live, out of the water. There are Malthusian limits on what we can do and how we can do it. There are real issues that get swept under the rug as we are told to pay attention to people doing the two-step in Egypt. Anthropogenic global warming, something we have known about for fifty years, is just one of them.

#216008 - 01/30/11 10:16 PM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: Blast]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
True. Climate change hysteria is a perfect example

UK Government Global Warming Facts Leaflet TV advert. wink

#216010 - 01/30/11 10:49 PM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Oh dear gawd, let's not get into this climate change mess. sick

The true believers and true deniers are just about equally guilty of tunnel vision IMHO. Meanwhile, the rest of us are just trying to walk the razor's edge, finding the ethical and practical path through an issue that has no pure solution.

-Doug, who spends many paid hours building technical training for major oil companies ... and spends countless unpaid hours, toiling to grow his own food and generate his own energy, planting trees and recycling bloody everything (including composting cat poop -- I kid you not)

Edited by dougwalkabout (01/30/11 10:50 PM)

#216014 - 01/31/11 12:56 AM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: Paul810]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Paul810
I remember during 9/11 none of our cell phones worked

It overloaded.

As for shutting things down... Can you throw one switch and kill the web in the US? No. I know there have been attempted to legislate such a thing into being, I don't think they ever passed, and the technical issues would make it hard at best.

Now, can there be a court order served by federal agents ordering ISPs to shut down? Sure. And that would probably work- refuse a court order, the just have the power company turn off your power. The only folks that might not work for are Hughsnet and WildBlue users, but they are statistically insignificant due to their market share (high prices, suck service, low bandwidth- no one uses them who has another option).

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#216017 - 01/31/11 01:37 AM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: Blast]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Shutting down the internet would be the same as shutting down the roads. Even if you shutdown all the major highways there are still many many side roads, traffic will get through just a bit slower.

#216020 - 01/31/11 02:50 AM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: Eugene]
LED Offline
Veteran

Reports are coming out that food and bottled water are running low. Many stores in the major cities are either looted, low on inventory, or people are afraid to venture out. I imagine getting money out could be problem too since the banks were closed and working ATM's would empty out pretty quickly. US citizens were given the option of taking a charter flight supplied by the state dept. But you must pay for the flight and arrange your return home from wherever they drop you and are limited to ONE piece of luggage. This got me thinking. I usually travel with a backpack and one checked bag. In this situation I think I would take my backpack and ask the hotel if they could mail the rest of my luggage when possible. What bag would you take and what would you put in it? How would you get to the airport?

#216021 - 01/31/11 03:08 AM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: Eugene]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Eugene
Shutting down the internet would be the same as shutting down the roads. Even if you shutdown all the major highways there are still many many side roads, traffic will get through just a bit slower.

Maybe a whole lot slower. This just came out in PC Magazine.

Quote:

The bill passed the committee, but did not see any significant action before the end of the session. Earlier this week, however, CNet reported that Lieberman will re-introduce the bill in this Congress, and that the updated bill will include a provision that says "the federal government's designation of vital Internet or other computer systems 'shall not be subject to judicial review.'"

In Egypt, it appears that the government demanded that its four major ISPs shut down service. Could the U.S. government get away with asking Comcast, Time Warner, Verizon, and the like to shut down their networks to stop citizens from organizing protests? Anything is possible, of course, but at this point, it seems unlikely.

So if its unlikely, and it won't do any good anyway, why has the bill been re-introduced?

#216035 - 01/31/11 10:30 AM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: Blast]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Politicians can introduced bills saying anything they want, that doesn't mean the outcome is possible or enforceable.

#216038 - 01/31/11 11:15 AM Re: Fill your gas tanks, folks. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Originally Posted By: Blast

-Blast

LOL.

Exactly the opposite.

Anthropogenic global warming, something we have known about for fifty years, is just one of them.

Not everyone agrees with that unproven theory, and the fraud exposed recently at East Anglia underscores the debate. What's important is to personally prepare for climate change, and not cowtow to opportunistic and manipulative politicians who seek only money and power.

http://www.nolanchart.com/article805.html

Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.