Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#216 - 02/23/01 02:09 AM Alligators and sharks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I live in Florida and any ditching around the state brings up the good chance of running into alligators, sharks, bears, and yes panthers.<br> <br>Any suggestions on how to survive a ditching at sea or in swampy area with those nasty critters?(not to worried about bears and panthers)<br> <br>I have wondered about carrying a small firearm that could be fired underwater ( navy seal style). Maybe this is a little crazy but what might work? Any suggestions?<br> <br>Thanks, <br><br>

#217 - 02/23/01 10:37 PM Re: Alligators and sharks
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Canon,<br><br>First and foremost, forget about discharging a firearm underwater. It simply isn't practical or safe, regardless of what you may have read or seen on TV or the movies. Just don't do it.<br><br>In the grand scheme of things, neither alligators nor snakes are a big danger. For the most part, they don't want anything more to do with you than you do with them. <br><br>If you are in a raft and not splashing around, you're not likely going to appear an attractive meal. <br><br>Many swampy areas have hillocks, which you'll want to find anyway, and a good fire will keep all the critters away (and no, it's not that difficult to start a fire in swamp land areas with hillocks or similar areas above water).<br><br>If you want to carry a firearm to use on something like an alligator, best carry something with a lot more stopping power than a small caliber. While you could stop one with a .22, you'd better be an incredible shot because you aren't going to get a second chance to put a bullet through the eye into the pea brain of that critter. As for snakes, for the average person and shotgun will be your best bet, but for the most part a long stick will discourage then just as well and keep them out of reach.<br><br>Again, I'd put concern about these critters way down my list of worries.<br><br><br>Doug Ritter<br>Editor<br>Equipped To Survive
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.