Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#215832 - 01/28/11 03:33 PM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: Dagny]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Even our Lead Politician was delayed by this mess.

http://thevalleyhitmusic.com/2011/01/27/president-obamas-motorcade-stuck-in-heavy-snow-in-d-c/

Not sure how they know where to go without getting stuck themselves.

#215833 - 01/28/11 04:02 PM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: Dagny]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Dagny

Here's a good source of tire chains. I have these for low-profile AWD (in accordance, as I recall, with my Honda Element's owner's manual):

http://www.tirechain.com/sae.htm

I've gotten two sets from them in the past decade. Good service, reasonable prices.

I don't know why, but snow chains seem taboo to everyone not on the west coast. I grew up in SoCal, where they were mandatory in the mountains during winter. My wife, from Wisconsin, said no one ever uses them, or even buys them. Wierd.

I'm pretty sure my truck could have gone where I needed to, but yeah, I have a 25 mile commute. Who knows how long that would have taken. Chances are, I would have just stayed in the clinic and grabbed an exam bed for some sleep. Not my first nap in a clinic/hospital.

Another pet peeve about AWD/4WD vehicles. Most people thing it makes them invincible, that they "can go anywhere." Um, yeah. 4-wheel drive is not the same as 4-wheel STOP. Who cares how fast you're going when you ram into something and bust your car?

As for your 8-mo preggers friend. There's nothing special she'll need. A blanket, hat, some clothes for the kid. Her god-given baby-feeders can feed the baby til help comes. If she feels better, fine, grab some formula and a bottle. Diapers too, but baby poop in a newborn isn't usually copious, so a few of those is fine. The problem is delivering the kid.
http://www.med-worldwide.com/obstetrical-ob-kit-sealed-standard-28-4440010-p63349

Some in boxed/bagged, and extra goody versions. But useless if someone wont' step up and play catcher as she's pushing the kid out.

Edited by MDinana (01/28/11 04:06 PM)

#215835 - 01/28/11 04:38 PM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: MDinana]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Add to baby gear:

Infant Acetaminophen and/or Ibuprofen and a dosing chart from your doctor. They don’t mark the dosage for under 2 years old on the package. It might be hard to “ask your doctor” if you're stranded.

You can never have enough diapers and wipes. Include several sizes from newborn on up, they outgrow them fast and one that's too large is much better than two that are too small.

EXTRA CLOTHES! They WILL have an explosion the one time you leave the house without extra clothes. See above for sizes.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#215837 - 01/28/11 04:46 PM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: thseng]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: thseng
snip...

EXTRA CLOTHES! They WILL have an explosion the one time you leave the house without extra clothes. See above for sizes.

AMEN!

#215838 - 01/28/11 05:05 PM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: thseng]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: thseng

LOL -- I'll definitely put that on the list.

Thanks, all!

:-)

#215840 - 01/28/11 05:32 PM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: Dagny]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I don't have kids so can't comment there. But one thing that I think every vehicle kit should have is a small am/fm battery radio, that way one can keep up with the news without running the car battery down.

#215841 - 01/28/11 05:44 PM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: Dagny]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/headlamps/signal-and-elite/elite

I have a couple of these and if I were putting together a car kit, this multi-purpose head light would be on top of the list. I carry one set of extra batts, so I would have at least 70 hours of use. There is a flasher mode in both red and clear. Just a great little light for any kit and especially the vehicle kit.

#215843 - 01/28/11 06:11 PM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: rebwa]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Yoare correct; the e-light is a fine headlamp. My only problem is that it uses batteries that are not compatible with the rest of my electronic goodies - I tend to standardize on AAA battereis for radio, GPS, and lights.

Fortunately, there are lots of good headlamps available to suit just about any taste and pocketbook. They are always useful.

#215846 - 01/28/11 06:46 PM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: Dagny]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I'm probably too old-fashioned for most here, but WHY is an 8-mo preggie commuting during a storm??? That baby could come anytime, and stress could probably set her off. Being stuck in snow with nothing but businessmen and truck drivers around seems like a really stupid idea, to me.

A little common sense would be a good idea: watch the weather forecast, don't think they've got it down to the hour, if bad weather is coming relatively soon, don't go to work. I'm sure she isn't THAT indispensable, even if she thinks she is.

Ask her EXACTLY what she intends to do if she goes into labor in the car, stuck in a snowstorm, and no one can find her or get to her. I'll bet this is her first baby and she doesn't really have a clue. Let's toss this in: BREECH BIRTH!

Sue

#215849 - 01/28/11 07:05 PM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: Susan]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Susan
I'm probably too old-fashioned for most here, but WHY is an 8-mo preggie commuting during a storm??? That baby could come anytime, and stress could probably set her off. Being stuck in snow with nothing but businessmen and truck drivers around seems like a really stupid idea, to me.

A little common sense would be a good idea: watch the weather forecast, don't think they've got it down to the hour, if bad weather is coming relatively soon, don't go to work. I'm sure she isn't THAT indispensable, even if she thinks she is.

Ask her EXACTLY what she intends to do if she goes into labor in the car, stuck in a snowstorm, and no one can find her or get to her. I'll bet this is her first baby and she doesn't really have a clue. Let's toss this in: BREECH BIRTH!

Sue

Even taking the financial aspects out of it, careers are justifiably important to a lot of women (me included) and it’s not always possible to take time off and advance your career. And there were literally thousands stuck in that mess in the metro DC area.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 246 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.