Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#215780 - 01/27/11 08:38 PM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: Dagny]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
Those are the folks most miserable during quarterly winter fire drills that force them to stand outside the office building for 30 minutes.

I guess some people need them to be longer and more frequent. Those who are out of touch with reality are the ones I find most irritating.

Sue

#215782 - 01/27/11 09:06 PM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: Jesselp]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Much hot chocolate was consumed to celebrate digging out!

Hopefully you won't have to do the same next week. There looks to be the potential for an even more intense blizzard next Wednesday. One to keep an eye on once more.

http://www.accuweather.com/video/655578741001/three-more-storms-on-the-horiz.asp

What sort of time scale will the mains electricity repairs take for the nearly half million households affected. Folks will tend to get a little upset by the 3rd day with no power.

#215783 - 01/27/11 09:36 PM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: Dagny]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
It's sunny and in the mid-60's here. My garden is looking great. Tonight when I get home from the cannery I'll probably sit out on the back patio in a thin jacket and have a cold beer.

And I still keep "winter" gear(shovel, ice scraper, hats, mittens, blankets, food, water, etc...) in my truck.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#215785 - 01/27/11 09:56 PM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: Blast]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There's a "brand new" 10 year old ice scraper under the seat of my truck . . been there 10 years smile I recently had to pull everything out of the bed to haul some stuff so I took the opportunity to repack and tighten it up. Good stuff in there. One container of truck stuff, two containers of me stuff and a duffel of winter clothes. My GHB rides separate.

It's 79F here now, will get a tad below 50F tonight; the beer is cold...

#215795 - 01/28/11 02:16 AM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

Last year I told them. They need to prepare for things like this. They ignored me. Said it "cost too much" ...

Maybe this will do the trick Izzy. I've never been more scared than during the 2003 East Coast blackout, when I couldn't feed my baby. I vowed then and there that nothing like that would ever happen again.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#215800 - 01/28/11 02:57 AM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Izzy,

Organic evaporated milk is available.

The first thing this page mentions is SWEETENED CONDENSED milk, but if you go all the way to the bottom, you'll see that they also have regular evaporated milk.

Sue

#215809 - 01/28/11 03:41 AM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Compounding my friend's anxiety while trying to get home was not being able to reach her 8 months pregnant daughter-in-law who was also struggling with her commute -- whose cell phone battery had run out and she did not have a charger in the car. It took her several hours to get home from the office and she was without a working phone most of that time.

We're only half way through the prime snow season here, so my friend would like to quickly assemble a car kit for her daughter to have in the car at all times (another phone charger was purchased today). And she wants to build a kit for after the baby is born.

I don't have children so would very much appreciate the advice of mothers and fathers (and others with knowledge, of course, such as EMTs) on this forum as to what a woman who is 8 months pregnant should have in the car that's in addition to what everyone should have.

Also, what should be in a car kit for the baby once she/he is a passenger?

1) 8 months pregnant car kit

2) infant car kit

Obviously it would vary somewhat in summer as opposed to winter, but I'm frankly not sure how much.

The baby is due to be born on February 22.

#215819 - 01/28/11 11:41 AM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That's too bad Izzy. "Live and Learn" is what "they" always say but sadly, "they" are either in the minority or don't practice what they preach.

#215820 - 01/28/11 11:56 AM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: Susan]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Susan
Organic evaporated milk is available.
Sue

I was in the dentist office today and read an article in Canadian Living Magazine. (A generalist magazine, geared to women, focused healthy eating, family life, fashion, weight-loss, etc. Not at all survival focused but often also containing articles or at least ads for 72 HR Canada) The article recommended "purging all canned food from your kitchen" because it's high in sodium. (To be fair, they said "kitchen" not "pantry" but the difference will be lost on most.) It seems counter to their consistently seasonal advice to stock up on supplies for emergencies. I realize canned good aren't the be all and end all BUT they do address the cost issue and are pretty easy to procure and store. Of course, organic evaporated or condensed milk will probably still seem to expensive if someone already has the mindset that extra supplies are an unnecessary expense.

#215821 - 01/28/11 12:08 PM Re: DC Snow Turns Into Disastrous Situation [Re: Dagny]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dagny
Also, what should be in a car kit for the baby once she/he is a passenger?

1) 8 months pregnant car kit

2) infant car kit

Obviously it would vary somewhat in summer as opposed to winter, but I'm frankly not sure how much.

The baby is due to be born on February 22.

For a pregnant women, I'd start with the standard set-up but add extra food and water, suncreen (in the summer), maxi/bladder pads and emergency birthing supplies.

It will vary by age and personal preferance, but for an infant kit, I'd start with: diapers, wipes, cream, plastic bags, formula, bottles, water, extra sleepers, socks and blankets, a soother and a sling or chest/back child carrier.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.