Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#215703 - 01/26/11 11:34 AM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: Craig_Thompson]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Craig_Thompson
Lights that turn on as one walks around will spook most intruders. Any dog that barks, even a very small dog will also scare away most intruders.

We had a few vehicle break-ins on our street a couple of years ago. We all thought it was kids in the neighborhood but nobody saw anything. Most of the parents took the responsibility seriously and put the fear of god into their kids. The rest of us put in motion-sensor lights, and the combo seemed to put an end to it.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#215704 - 01/26/11 11:38 AM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: bws48]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bws48
I have been known to call in, for example, a car parked in front of my house at 3 AM, lights off, engine running. . .and had a patrol car pull up behind it about 5 min. later. . . never did find out what was going on. . .

We had a similiar situation a couple of years ago. It happened on a regular basis, so we thought the neighborhood was being cased. Turned out that a drug dealer lived down the street. He's now gone to the clink. After a few misguided buyers knocked on the wrong door a few times, the problem seems to be gone now. A couple of calls to the police really made a difference.

#215705 - 01/26/11 11:39 AM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: Eugene]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Eugene
Some of the advice will depend on where you live. My city isn't that big bug big enough that the police won't respond to alarms and the insurance companies won't give discounts for them. There are enough that false alarms have become too many, I've tried calling the police when I heard an alarm and they get very annoyed.

A definite problem. After enough false alarms, we tend to tune out those noises as annoying. Better safe than sorry, but alarms almost seem to make things worse sometimes.

#215708 - 01/26/11 01:16 PM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: Dagny]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I agree completely that a dog is a long-term commitment, but feel there are several additional benefits of dog ownership. There is evidence that pets can provide a significant amount of emotional comfort beyond their possible role as a security aid. Dog owners have the additional benefit of taking their “security alarm / deterrent” along with them on walks. I would venture to say that dog walkers are less likely to be attacked than their non-dog walker counter parts. While a dog is clearly not an option for everyone, it is an option, which I believe has several advantages (and some possible disadvantages) over traditional security systems.

Pete

#215709 - 01/26/11 01:49 PM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: Mark_R]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
A dog is indeed for the long term and is not just a cheap intruder alarm.
If a real dog is not viable, then at least pretend that you have one. Others have suggested leaving dog bowls and toys around, to which I would add, get an electronic sounder that sounds like a dog barking. This may be trggered by a motion sensor, or manually if you are in, or linked to a door bell.

#215710 - 01/26/11 01:57 PM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: paramedicpete]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
I agree completely that a dog is a long-term commitment, but feel there are several additional benefits of dog ownership. There is evidence that pets can provide a significant amount of emotional comfort beyond their possible role as a security aid. Dog owners have the additional benefit of taking their “security alarm / deterrent” along with them on walks. I would venture to say that dog walkers are less likely to be attacked than their non-dog walker counter parts. While a dog is clearly not an option for everyone, it is an option, which I believe has several advantages (and some possible disadvantages) over traditional security systems.

Pete

Dogs are wonderful companions. Gidget's a certified therapy dog (pediatric oncology, psych). I just wanted to caution against an impulse acquisition of a dog that could live for 15 years simply to protect material possessions from an immediate threat. And dogs aren't cheap.

Most of us wouldn't walk much but for our dogs (no big yards here).

Several detectives and a 20-year police captain told us that homes with dogs rarely are burglarized. Hence the benefit of faking dog ownership and even if you have a dog, advertising that you do.

My biggest fear of a daytime burglary is Gidget's being harmed by a scared or desperate intruder. In that scenario, there's no insurance for her suffering, or mine. The security system protects her as well as my stuff.

#215712 - 01/26/11 03:15 PM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: Mark_R]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Great info Dagny.

I concur with everything Dagny, posted regarding dogs and also add the time commitment necessary especially with the higher drive breeds that would probably actually protect yourself and possessions. I’ve owned Dobermans for 40 years and they need to have daily activity, training and be part of the family unit or they will find their own form of entertainment. You can’t just build a dog house and put these guys out in the back yard without fence running, nuisance barking, digging etc.

My biggest fear too would be someone hurting or taking my dogs, everything else could be replaced.

#215713 - 01/26/11 03:41 PM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: Mark_R]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
If a person doesn't already have a dog, telling someone to get a dog for security is misdirected advice. Dogs are like kids. You don't just get a dog for the sole purpose of security. It won't work like that. Over 99% of the time with a dog will be spent loving the dog in a way that has zero to do with security. If you're not a dog person and you can't provide that love that has nothing to do with security 99% of the time, then I advise DO NOT get a dog.

#215714 - 01/26/11 03:52 PM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: ireckon]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: ireckon
If a person doesn't already have a dog, telling someone to get a dog for security is misdirected advice. Dogs are like kids. You don't just get a dog for the sole purpose of security. It won't work like that. Over 99% of the time with a dog will be spent loving the dog in a way that has zero to do with security. If you're not a dog person and you can't provide that love that has nothing to do with security 99% of the time, then I advise DO NOT get a dog.

Wonderfully stated, Ireckon.

Excellent points, Rebwa. I hadn't calculated destruction in Gidget's $14k-and-counting tally. In puppydom, she destroyed three pair of pumps, one brand new pair of Lowas and ate all the plastic off some Maui Jims (fortunately, my optometrist was able to rebuild them).

Thankfully, her digging was confined to her water bowls.

I love her but she is my priciest indulgence.

#215716 - 01/26/11 04:29 PM Re: I think my house may have been cased [Re: Dagny]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Dagny
Originally Posted By: ireckon

Wonderfully stated, Ireckon.

Excellent points, Rebwa. I hadn't calculated destruction in Gidget's $14k-and-counting tally. In puppydom, she destroyed three pair of pumps, one brand new pair of Lowas and ate all the plastic off some Maui Jims (fortunately, my optometrist was able to rebuild them).

Thankfully, her digging was confined to her water bowls.

I love her but she is my priciest indulgence.

Yikes with the shoes, Lowas and Maui Jims, I owned a male Dobe who pretty well chewed all the leather off of a steering wheel in about 10 minutes.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 463 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by M_a_x
11 minutes 35 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.