Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#218673 - 03/10/11 12:36 AM Re: Emergency car kit recommendation? [Re: Bingley]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Any time I do any maintenance, from changing the oil, rotating the tires, change the belt, etc I use my truck tools to make sure I have what I need. If i don't have it and have to use from the garage I go buy that tool and add it in.
I've replaced a couple peoples batteries, alternator and removed and replaced my starter with my truck tools before.

#218687 - 03/10/11 03:59 AM Re: Emergency car kit recommendation? [Re: Eugene]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Eugene
You have to be careful, the torque is spec'ed with a dry bolt in mind. If you put anything on it, never seize, oil, etc you will need to dig out an engineering book and look up torque tables and adjust accordingly. You'll probably have to look up the existing torque in the chart then look at all the other inputs then look up the corresponding based on what you put on the threads.
If your not careful you could end up loosing the lug nuts, if a lug centric wheel break the lugs off with.

Actually, I think if you apply dry torque specs to a lubricated nut, you will put excess preload (tension) on the bolt. This will cut it's lifespan (PING!). If you want the nuts and bolts (no pun intended) of how this works: google "Modified Goodman Diagram".

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

I was in a parking lot jumping up and down on my lug wrench to change a flat not all that long ago. It occurred to me after the second time I fell that my wife probably would not be physically able to change a tire in a similar circumstance.

Same thing here. I needed to change a tire, and the guys at the shop must have gotten impact wrench happy. I had the same setup as CANOEDOGS, except instead of an extender I was using a 1 lb rubber mallet to break the lug nuts free. I have since replaced the tire iron with an 18 inch breaker bar and socket. It's a lot easier to change tires now.

I've broken my kit down into things I can ignore, things I can fix, things I can't, and emergencies.

Things I can fix by the side of the road: Extra water, oil, brake fluid, clutch fluid, and light bulbs. repair manual, tire pressure gauge, tire changing tools, bicycle pump (200 pumps from full flat to full inflated), channel locks, adjustable wrench, needle nose pliers, utility knife, and cowhide gloves. Bungee cords and duct tape as a last resort.

Things I can ignore: If I can't fix it and it's not involved in moving, turning, or stopping; it gets ignored.

Things I can't fix: walking shoes and a flashlight

Emergency: FAK, fire extinguisher, jumper cables. I also have one of those "Emergency car battery chargers", but I've never used it.

All the small stuff fits into a 5 gallon bucket. Jumper cables, fire extinguisher, and bicycle pump are strapped together

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.