Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#215097 - 01/17/11 01:15 AM Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Well, another week has passed, so it's time to post another stove. This week, the stove of the week is the Tibetan Ti Wing Stove. At 12g, the Tibetan Ti Wing Stove is one of the lightest backpacking stoves there is. Every investigation I've read lists hexamine as the lightest overall fuel, all things considered (stove, packaging, the fuel itself).

The Tibetan Ti Wing Stove is a solid fuel stove. It is typically used to burn hexamine cubes or tablets. Esbit brand is shown on the left and Stansport brand is shown on the right. Esbit it the "name" brand and is generally more expensive but is also, at least where I live more widely available.

The Ti Wing stove can also burn other things like military trioxane (toxic), Wetfire Tinder, etc.

OK, let's head out to one of my local test beds, the Verdugo Mountains of Southern California.

Finding a suitable spot, I unfold the three "wings" of the stove and place an Esbit cube onto the burner pan. Note that I've displaced the cube to the right. Sometimes the cubes are a bit hard to light. Being able to get a flame under the cube helps substantially.

And after a moment, we have flame. Note that the flame is quite yellow. Apparently the US military abandoned hexamine as a fuel because of this yellow flame and went to trioxane instead which has a much more subtle, blue flame. Trioxane is however toxic both in terms of touching the fuel and in breathing the fumes. Use trioxane with care.

Ti Wing Stove in use

Hexamine isn't a powerful fuel. If you're used to the boil times of stoves that use petroleum based fuels, hexamine will be considerably slower. Hexamine's power compares favorably to alcohol. Nonetheless, in fairly short order, we pass the "tea test".

The steam is a bit hard to see, but for you doubters, here it is, a full roiling boil:

And now, for a delicious cup of tea.

There are a couple of downsides to hexamine. 1) It's generally the most expensive fuel out there and 2) it leaves a brown residue on your pot. It wouldn't be so bad if the residue were a hard residue, but, no, the residue is sticky and gooey and gets all over things. I bring a plastic bag to put the pot in after use. The good news is that the residue comes off with ease.

One nice thing about hexamine is that it can be blown out. You do not need to burn the entire cube once lit. As it cools, hexamine forms these odd crystals.
[img]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_o5608HJMn44/TTMWP579eCI/AAAAAAAAJe0/4AkkTtQJhGQ/s800/P1050407.JPG[/img]

Finally, tea enjoyed full well, I fold the wings of the Ti Wing Stove. She's now ready to be stowed.
[img]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_o5608HJMn44/TTMWQze1zyI/AAAAAAAAJe4/F9zIJIj8UgI/s800/P1050408.JPG[/img]

A most compact package. The stove weighs a mere 12g (less than half an ounce). The pot less than 3 ounces. For less than a quarter pound, I've got a nice set to brew up with. This is the lightest, most compact set up out there for hikers, hunters, mountain bikers, etc. It's not the most powerful or versatile. Definitely not one I'd want to have along in foul weather, but very light, compact, and easy to use.

I went hiking with my daughter yesterday by the way. We had a fabulous time sitting by a creek together. She enjoyed splashing her feet in the water. Daddy enjoyed a break. Can you see the family resemblance?
[img]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_o5608HJMn44/TTMWSoQ1rXI/AAAAAAAAJfA/TB02W2aoofY/s800/P1050422.JPG[/img]

I hope you've enjoyed this, another installment in my "Stove of the Week" series.

HJ

#215100 - 01/17/11 02:12 AM Re: Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Great that you're doing these reviews, Jim.

Thanks.

I recently got the Vargo Titanium Hexagon but remain interested in these ittier-bittier stoves.

#215104 - 01/17/11 03:34 AM Re: Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Since when did the Tibetan's Prosper well enough to,Afford Titanium Anything,lol?Very Cool Test,& These put my Steel Wing stove to shame,Practically 3grams lighter,though Much more Rigid,than the steel ones,However... My Wing stove costed-$2.99 w/ 3-Hexamine tabs included!Your Daughter is Adorable,& I see she has the Gy-Jeen Ears/Chin,:)

#215107 - 01/17/11 04:17 AM Re: Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
ok..first a big stove,now a tiny one,next a middle size.this is like like the three bears!!

#215108 - 01/17/11 04:25 AM Re: Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove [Re: CANOEDOGS]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Nice!

#215116 - 01/17/11 03:06 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove [Re: Dagny]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Dagny
Great that you're doing these reviews, Jim.

Thanks.

I recently got the Vargo Titanium Hexagon but remain interested in these ittier-bittier stoves.

I've heard mixed reviews of some of Vargo's Ti stove offerings. How is yours working for you? Any photos? smile Seriously, I do hope my posts will "shake a few closet stovies out of the woodwork". Love to see what other people have got and hear how they're working.

HJ

#215117 - 01/17/11 03:07 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove [Re: Richlacal]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Since when did the Tibetan's Prosper well enough to,Afford Titanium Anything,lol?Very Cool Test,& These put my Steel Wing stove to shame,Practically 3grams lighter,though Much more Rigid,than the steel ones,However... My Wing stove costed-$2.99 w/ 3-Hexamine tabs included!Your Daughter is Adorable,& I see she has the Gy-Jeen Ears/Chin,:)
Well, I can't beat your price, and mine didn't include hexamine.

Good eyesight on picking out my daughter's features. You're dead on.

HJ

#215118 - 01/17/11 03:08 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
ok..first a big stove,now a tiny one,next a middle size.this is like like the three bears!!
And we're going to keep going until we find the stove that's "juuuust right." smile

HJ

#215119 - 01/17/11 03:12 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove [Re: dweste]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: dweste
Nice!
Why, thank you.

And it is nice. That's about the only stove that I've seen that I might actually include in a PSK. There's little excuse not to have a stove when they're that small and light.

Of course a pot is more important than a stove (you can boil water without a stove, but can't without a pot), but there are places where fires are illegal, fuel is scarce, etc. or where a quick heat up (onset of hypothermia) might make a difference. If one had some kind of base, I would think my little wing stove would work in a snow cave. I would not try a wood fire in a snow cave!

HJ

#215123 - 01/17/11 03:55 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The BOBs I've built for me and my wife contain Esbit stoves and fuel. For small, light, inexpensive and shelf-stable, I don't know anything that tops it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.