Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#199684 - 04/05/10 05:58 PM Re: Survivalist Richard Code's final hours [Re: clarktx]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
As a related point, when a "survivalist" *doesn't*: why is he still called a survivalist? Wasn't he more of an UnSurvivalist?

#199694 - 04/05/10 08:55 PM Re: Survivalist Richard Code's final hours [Re: ILBob]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ILBob
Originally Posted By: BorkBorkBork
To me it actually sounds like a planned suicide in the guise of a survival trip.

That had occurred to me too, especially considering his deteriorating physical condition. It would explain why he went so far into the woods so unprepared. Maybe he knew exactly what he was up to and wanted to make sure if he lost his nerve at the end it would not matter any.

There is just no way to really way to know for sure just what went wrong for him, while giving some thought to the idea that it went exactly as he had planned.

I suspect, it has been confided by a few of the more self-aware people I know, that a considerable number of people who are engaged in adventure type activities are in some way exploring their will to live. Some are willing to die if the terms are favorable. Quite a few people in 'survivalism' are simply looking for an appropriate setting to give up.

The diminishing prospects of the middle class and middle age whites, high unemployment, relative worthlessness of the individual and inability of people to find a place and make a mark are causing a lot of males to question the value of their lives.

Some are just waiting for a situation where they can go down in a 'blaze of glory', 'heroic action', 'noble sacrifice'. Death by cop, going postal, school shootings, and attacks on public buildings are the antisocial version. Running into a burning orphanage to save the children, and joining the military and falling on a grenade the much more socially positive side.

Going toe-to-toe with mother nature and falling short is somewhere in the middle. So far in the middle that the desire for an end may not have been conscious. He may have been in denial as to his novice status but he strikes me as having gone through enough that he was fairly self-aware. I suspect that at some level he knew he was taking a big risk. But I also think that at some level it didn't matter.

#199698 - 04/05/10 11:14 PM Re: Survivalist Richard Code's final hours [Re: Art_in_FL]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

The diminishing prospects of the middle class and middle age whites, high unemployment, relative worthlessness of the individual and inability of people to find a place and make a mark are causing a lot of males to question the value of their lives.

Gosh, Art, I was feeling pretty perky today until you called my attention to the swirling, sucking eddy of despair that is my wretched, useless life...but you do identify a significant re-interpretation of what we are about here. Add to that the observation that suicides account for more than half of the gun deaths in this country, one might conclude that the manufacturers need to add a suicide hot line button to the personal rescue beacon products.

#199699 - 04/05/10 11:38 PM Re: Survivalist Richard Code's final hours [Re: nursemike]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I sure hope we are keeping in mind that Mr Code might have just exercised really, really bad judgement.

#199705 - 04/06/10 01:01 AM Re: Survivalist Richard Code's final hours [Re: scafool]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: scafool
I sure hope we are keeping in mind that Mr Code might have just exercised really, really bad judgement.

I agree...

John Lubbock

#199706 - 04/06/10 01:02 AM Re: Survivalist Richard Code's final hours [Re: nursemike]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: nursemike
Gosh, Art, I was feeling pretty perky today until you called my attention to the swirling, sucking eddy of despair that is my wretched, useless life...but you do identify a significant re-interpretation of what we are about here. Add to that the observation that suicides account for more than half of the gun deaths in this country, one might conclude that the manufacturers need to add a suicide hot line button to the personal rescue beacon products.

I'm always happy to be the resident optimist and ray of sunshine on the board.

#199726 - 04/06/10 10:01 AM Re: Survivalist Richard Code's final hours [Re: Art_in_FL]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

Some are just waiting for a situation where they can go down in a 'blaze of glory', 'heroic action', 'noble sacrifice'. Death by cop, going postal, school shootings, and attacks on public buildings are the antisocial version. Running into a burning orphanage to save the children, and joining the military and falling on a grenade the much more socially positive side.

Several very good friends are LEO's.

I have noticed a sharp increase in single vehicle, single occupant motor vehicle accidents during the last few years in the news. When I asked the LEO's, they told me many more are actually going unreported by the news, and the number is more than ten times higher than five years ago for this area. Almost none of the occupants phone records show them to have been using their phones during the crash, but the phones were almost all used just prior to.

Many have taken a "don't ask, don't tell" stance as to whether said collisions are an accident, or an "accident".

Edited by Desperado (04/06/10 10:02 AM)

RIP OBG

#199731 - 04/06/10 11:26 AM Re: Survivalist Richard Code's final hours [Re: Desperado]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
but the phones were almost all used just prior to

Probably checking that their life insurance premiums were up to date. Getting killed by a pothole and not having life insurance could be a major headache for the victims family.

#199746 - 04/06/10 03:20 PM Re: Survivalist Richard Code's final hours [Re: Desperado]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Almost none of the occupants phone records show them to have been using their phones during the crash, but the phones were almost all used just prior to.
That could be part of the cause. Using a phone is dangerous, not because it takes up a hand, but because of the mental distraction needed to conversationally model someone who isn't present. That distraction continues for some time after the call is over.

Personally I don't think the "suicide" explanation is plausible or insightful for Code.

#199750 - 04/06/10 04:55 PM Re: Survivalist Richard Code's final hours [Re: Brangdon]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Brangdon

Personally I don't think the "suicide" explanation is plausible or insightful for Code.

Neither do I. But I do believe his life situation may have contributed to his almost pathological devotion to hard core "survival" trips. A sort of everything else stinks, let's do THIS and show I've got what it takes to make it kind of response.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 419 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.