Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#215172 - 01/18/11 03:48 AM Re: Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Great review. I do, however, have one question: What type of genetic engineering did you participate in to get you and your daughter both born with headlamps? crazy She's a cutie. I pass along a "ditto" on the comment regarding sharing these moments with your daughter. Great job!

#215209 - 01/18/11 05:00 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove [Re: MoBOB]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Great review. I do, however, have one question: What type of genetic engineering did you participate in to get you and your daughter both born with headlamps? crazy She's a cutie. I pass along a "ditto" on the comment regarding sharing these moments with your daughter. Great job!
Yeah, I'm loving it when I get a chance to take her out. She's eating it up too; her eyes are all over looking at everything. smile

HJ

#215250 - 01/19/11 12:43 AM Re: Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
HJ,

Love your daughter!! Enjoy the time. Before you know it she will be older (but a trip to Admiralty Island with mine does help to make up for it).

I bought the Wetfire version, and found it to be worse than the Esbit I have used for years. You must use a smaller tea cup than I do, neither will boil the water here in FL. Both will do it at 10,000 plus feet, but that is not so much of a chore.

I have tried the stove as a pot stand for a small wood fire (I used them for years for "boiling the noon kettle") where it worked fine. Just a double handfull of thumb sized squaw wood (Rocky Mtn. pines) will do for a quick cup. Not a lot cleaner than the Esbit though.

I will keep it for a PSK or something, it is nice and light but I wish they had the fuel cup on a pivot (working on that) so that it would pack flat.

Respectfully,

Jerry

p.s. I am enjoying your "stove of the week" very much. I am not much of a stovie(4 stoves in 40 years, two of them the same), but I enjoy learning about them.

#215285 - 01/19/11 08:33 AM Re: Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove [Re: JerryFountain]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain

Love your daughter!!

p.s. I am enjoying your "stove of the week" very much. I am not much of a stovie(4 stoves in 40 years, two of them the same), but I enjoy learning about them.

+1 on all of the above, even the number of stoves - but even with my meager collection I consider myself a stove fanatic!

#215317 - 01/19/11 06:13 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
The addition of a bit of tin foil to act as a wind barrier would be a welcome lightweight addition to the stove.

#215321 - 01/19/11 07:55 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove [Re: JerryFountain]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I bought the Wetfire version, and found it to be worse than the Esbit I have used for years. You must use a smaller tea cup than I do, neither will boil the water here in FL. Both will do it at 10,000 plus feet, but that is not so much of a chore.
Jerry,

That little pot that you saw in the photos holds 2 cups just barely if you fill it to the brim (about 500ml). It can boil about 350 to 400 ml reasonably well. I didn't show it in my post, but I had a couple of other people with me on that outing. I had to refill and boil again in order to get enough water. The cup you saw me drinking out of was a Snow Peak Ti Sierra Cup. It comfortably holds 250ml although it can hold a bit more (300ml?).

I am enjoying your "stove of the week" very much. I am not much of a stovie(4 stoves in 40 years, two of them the same), but I enjoy learning about them.
Hey, no requirement to "join the club." Glad to hear that you're enjoying the posts. That's what they're there for. This is just my little project: to get my stoves out of their boxes in the attic and get them out and use them. This will stretch me since in order to post 52 unique stoves, I'm going to have to fettle (repair) several non-working stoves. Also helps me to remember just how many freaking stoves I really have. lol

HJ

#215322 - 01/19/11 08:03 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove [Re: Roarmeister]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
The addition of a bit of tin foil to act as a wind barrier would be a welcome lightweight addition to the stove.
Yes. Indeed, more than welcome: essential in many circumstances. I normally do carry a little Titanium windscreen. The day was perfect and I was running a little late, so I didn't grab it out of my other pot set, but you're absolutely right that a windscreen is in order. Particularly on low heat output fuels (such as the hexamine I was using), a windscreen can be vital.

HJ

#215351 - 01/20/11 01:05 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
HJ

[quote=Hikin_JimThat little pot that you saw in the photos holds 2 cups just barely if you fill it to the brim (about 500ml). It can boil about 350 to 400 ml reasonably well. I didn't show it in my post, but I had a couple of other people with me on that outing. I had to refill and boil again in order to get enough water. The cup you saw me drinking out of was a Snow Peak Ti Sierra Cup. It comfortably holds 250ml although it can hold a bit more (300ml?).

(Content Deleted)
This will stretch me since in order to post 52 unique stoves, I'm going to have to fettle (repair) several non-working stoves. Also helps me to remember just how many freaking stoves I really have. lol

HJ [/quote]

The top explains the problem I have -- A Drinking Problem shocked -- I normally use a 750 ml pot and put 500 -600 ml of water in it to fill my cup. One tab will not boil that much water.

You have 52 stoves! cool I am even more interested now, there must be a few in there I need to try.

Thanks,

Jerry

#215359 - 01/20/11 02:49 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove [Re: JerryFountain]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I normally use a 750 ml pot and put 500 -600 ml of water in it to fill my cup. One tab will not boil that much water.
Well, yes and no. It depends a bit on your set up. I have a set up that will boil at least 500 ml per Esbit. I'll have to post that one up at some point.

You have 52 stoves! cool I am even more interested now, there must be a few in there I need to try.
Oh, I probably have double that, but there are some that need "a lot of love".

HJ

#215430 - 01/22/11 09:12 AM Re: Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
The caldera cone is probably efficient enough to boil a half liter or more on one esbit tablet.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 166 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.