Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#215595 - 01/24/11 11:28 AM Re: Emergency car kit recommendation? [Re: Eugene]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Eugene
If your battery is in good shape and just run down from leaving something on (and I'm still amazed that some modern cars from brands that supposedly paid attention to even the smallest details don't have any kind of anti rundown protection) then one of those jump start kits will work, but if you have a battery that is having issues or very cold weather then they are seldom powerful enough. Jumper cables can get you started in those situations.
I've seen jumper cables used to work around a failing started solenoid as well.

Thanks Eugene. I've been debating getting a stand-alone unit like the Eliminator, or something similar. It's a bit bulky but I've used one a couple of times, both in non-winter, and it was a breeze. I thought about it again this morning when both our vehicles reconsidered the wisdom of going anywhere in the sub-arctic temps. If it won't work when it -30 outside the value is definitely less.

We have tried one of those little thingies that attach to the battery to give it a shot of juice if you leave you lights on or something and it was just crap. There may be better models out there but good old jumper cables and a friendly neighbour still seem more reliable than anything.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#215635 - 01/24/11 11:42 PM Re: Emergency car kit recommendation? [Re: hikermor]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Do you have the owner'smanual for your car? That is a good starting point for both repairs and tools you will need. The manual will also tell what fuses to get.

The owners manual also has the correct procedure for jump starting your car or using the spare tire. Some cars have a quirky jump starting procedure or it may not be recommended at all. The owners manual for one of my cars recommends only installing the spare tire on the front axle because using the spare on the rear axle may damage the differential. Reading the owners manual can save you from an inconvenience becoming a major repair.

#215647 - 01/25/11 03:39 AM Re: Emergency car kit recommendation? [Re: Bingley]
IanRay Offline
Stranger

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Originally Posted By: Bingley

[*]16' 6 gauge 500 amp jumper cable

Among the many weaknesses of the commercial kits are their short and wimpy jumper cables. Good choice for the heavy duty, long cables. I once was on a single lane, dirt road, with a mountain on one side and a cliff on the other and had to jump the car ahead of me. I was happy to have jumper cables that would reach to the front of the car in front of me.

Now, I'm not sure of the following things
  • Road flares vs. magnetic strobe that you can mount on top of the car. Do I need both?
  • Tools. I home-improve and repair my computers, which often results in repairing both the home and the computers some more, but I have no experience fixing cars. What sort of tools will I need? I found the standard list of screw drivers, plier, wrench, etc. But these guys vary a bit.
  • An even bigger question is how I can gain the knowledge to use them. As Eric points out, some of these items are useless without that knowledge. Are there manuals, or "automotive first aid" classes?

I'm trying not to have too much stuff in the kit, but the list just grows by itself...
Da Bing

I carry flares and triangles. Now they have some new triangles with built in flashing LEDs and I am contemplating those. I like having both. Flares are quick and easy and very bright. Triangles take a little more time to set up, but are useful in situations where you might not want to introduce fire (spilled fuel, etc). Also, they last longer than flares. Oh, and flares can be great fire-starters . . .

#217735 - 02/22/11 03:58 AM Re: Emergency car kit recommendation? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Guess what, guys, I've had to use my emergency kit already!!! Here's an account of my humble little adventure for those who helped me.

On the first trip I took with my new (used) car, I ran into trouble on the highway. The electrical system started going haywire, and the dash gave absurd readings on everything, and the car seemed to start shutting itself down (though the engine was still going). So I pulled up to the side of the road, hit the hazard lights, and I started -- excitedly, I confess -- digging through my emergency bag. I thought about putting out the warning triangle, but it was during the day, the visibility was decent, the road was straight, and if people couldn't see the car, they weren't going to see the triangle. So I put some extra flashing lights on the car & popped the hood. It didn't seem like an easily reparable problem, so I called roadside service, and had the car towed. (Truck showed up within 30 minutes.) Long story short, some part of the electrical system shorted, and the repair shop is working on it.

What is the lesson? While putting together the kit, I mentally ran through what I'd do with each piece, and that helped. Fortunately the conditions weren't bad, so I had time to run through my options. But I think rehearsing (even if just in your mind) is an essential part of preparation.

Da Bing

Edited by Bingley (02/22/11 04:04 AM)

#217739 - 02/22/11 05:09 AM Re: Emergency car kit recommendation? [Re: Bingley]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hey, Bing_, it's a good feeling to have gear to help yourself.

Your fellow motorists appreciate you adding the extra visibility, believe me.

Earlier today, in medium heavy traffic, I drove by a small jeep-ish vehicle stopped/stalled in the middle driving lane (!). Hazard lights on, but geez, anybody distracted for more than 3-4 seconds would have plowed into that dude directly ... at speeds ranging from 90 kph (posted) to 110+ kph (typical). Talk about a bad ending waiting to happen ... yikes. eek

Edited by dougwalkabout (02/22/11 05:10 AM)

#217797 - 02/22/11 07:24 PM Re: Emergency car kit recommendation? [Re: Bingley]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
1. Almost everyone includes jumper cables in their car kit. How useful are these actually?

I can write volumes on how much AAA sucks based entirely on my own, real-life experiences. If you took their subscription fees and put it in a savings account you'd be much better off on money, time and aggravation.

I've had my battery go dead a couple of times, and was able to get a jump from a passer-by by raising my hood and standing roadside waving my jumper cables in less than 20 minutes each time.

2. Some people have both towing ropes and chains in the kit.

Here's a thread about tow ropes: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=191610

The summary is that a good recovery strap, rated at least 4x the weight of your vehicle, and without attached hooks, plus an appropriately-rated D-Shackle are all you need.

3. What do you do with tea lights? I will include a flashlight and matches. But it seems that some people include this ancient technology for reasons beyond my ken.

Even a candle can provide some warmth in a small, enclosed space. I guess tea candles are better than nothing, but I'd prefer a UTCO candle/lantern instead.

#217799 - 02/22/11 07:35 PM Re: Emergency car kit recommendation? [Re: Eugene]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Eugene
If your battery is in good shape and just run down from leaving something on (and I'm still amazed that some modern cars from brands that supposedly paid attention to even the smallest details don't have any kind of anti rundown protection) then one of those jump start kits will work, but if you have a battery that is having issues or very cold weather then they are seldom powerful enough. Jumper cables can get you started in those situations.
I've seen jumper cables used to work around a failing started solenoid as well.

Many of the standalone jump start kits have a starting mode where it will use the lower capacity battery to charge a high-discharge capacitor, and then the capacitor actually is used to start the car. This is the same principal as employed by low-current battery charges that have a jump start mode.

Others specify in the instructions that you have to leave them connected for a certain period of time to recharge your primary battery, but this assumes there's any charge capability remaining in your battery.

#217807 - 02/22/11 08:16 PM Re: Emergency car kit recommendation? [Re: Mark_M]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
re car batteries, the first time the battery in my truck dies it flatlined . . there was no recharging it . . when the next battery reached it's manufacturers (Interstate) drop dead date, I replaced it with a new one just like it because from my perspective it was totally trouble free. Interstate batteries seem to be pretty good -- no affiliation.

Tires are next . . .

#218280 - 03/03/11 03:04 AM Re: Emergency car kit recommendation? [Re: Russ]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Russ
re car batteries, the first time the battery in my truck dies it flatlined . . there was no recharging it . . when the next battery reached it's manufacturers (Interstate) drop dead date, I replaced it with a new one just like it because from my perspective it was totally trouble free. Interstate batteries seem to be pretty good -- no affiliation.

I prefer the Sears Diehard Platinum batteries, which are private-labeled Odyssey PC5100's, largely considered the best batteries made at present. I do a lot of recreational off-road driving and camping, these batteries have significantly more reserve capacity for winching,using vehicle lights to setup camp after dark, and running a 12V/DC Engel refrigerator. I've also used Interstate deep-cycle batteries on my camping trailer, and they were okay for the money, but didn't last as long as I liked.

#218296 - 03/03/11 04:56 AM Re: Emergency car kit recommendation? [Re: Bingley]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

I carry so much gear in my Jeep that I'm embarrassed to list it all. I think I could gain 2 or 3 MPG if I ditched the stuff, but can't bring myself to do it. Normally I carry enough food and water (both lifeboat food/water rations and other food/snack items), rain/warmth gear, a well-stocked first aid kit, all to handle four people for 72-hours. Plus there's my tools, just about everything I might need to fix anything on the Jeep short of an engine or transmission rebuild, enough flashlights to illuminate an entire neighborhood, air compressor, shovel, spare clothing, even spare parts and fluids when I go off-road. And then there's my GHB, designed for 72-hours and high mobility, but could just as well be used to extend my in-place supplies.

Most of the stuff I've used to good result both on- and off-road. For example, I helped one family change a tire during a rainstorm when their lug-wrench broke (I have interchangeable sockets for my breaker bar), and twice this year I've strapped people back onto the road during a blizzard (in one case a pickup truck had an exit ramp blocked resulting in a two mile-long backup). Of course off-road I'm that guy who has whatever tool you need when your rig breaks, and often the spare part as well. In fact, that's really why I got interested in survival preparedness, for the long, often solo trips I take every now and then.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 292 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.