Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#214887 - 01/13/11 05:38 PM Re: Google Earth question [Re: Susan]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Susan
Okay. I had heard that Google Earth was in real-time, as opposed to Google Maps. I got the idea when that millionaire took off in his small plane from Reno and disappeared. Half the world was looking for him, and some kind of request had gone out for people to search via Google Earth.

That was the search for Steve Fossett. There were special efforts made to get the freshest data and specially link it to the search area within hours of a satellite pass. This was a special situation. GE is not by any means real time. (for instance, is there snow on the ground when you look at Atlanta with GE today?)

I spent many hours looking for Fossett on my computer. It was an interesting challenge but bore no fruit because his tube-and-fabric airplane had crashed under a small conifer and burned up. So what was left was blackened tubing, much like a burnt up chaise lounge. Visual resolution on the photos wasn't good enough to detect that. And if it was, the number of false targets would be overwhelming.

#214994 - 01/16/11 12:00 AM Re: Google Earth question [Re: unimogbert]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: unimogbert

I spent many hours looking for Fossett on my computer. It was an interesting challenge but bore no fruit because his tube-and-fabric airplane had crashed under a small conifer and burned up. So what was left was blackened tubing, much like a burnt up chaise lounge. Visual resolution on the photos wasn't good enough to detect that. And if it was, the number of false targets would be overwhelming.

The false targets were overwhelming. There is an excellent documentry (trailer on Youtube) made on the Steve Fossett search in which the search coordinators state that they had so many people who used Google maps to search for Fossett and report false leads that the coordinators had to change their phone number. You can hear them briefly describe this starting at about 1:50 in the above Youtube link. There is also mention of it on Wikipedia's Steve Fossett entry

The documentary can be purchased online here. Scroll down to the "OTHER ONE-HOUR SPECIALS" section. Note that the documentary was made before Fossett's remains were discovered.

John Lubbock

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 266 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.