Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#214929 - 01/14/11 01:41 PM TV opportunity – from the makers of Gold Rush
RawTV Offline
Stranger

I work for the TV production company Raw TV – we are the makers of the hit Discovery show Gold Rush Alaska (Fridays 10PM E/P) that follows a group of men from Portland as they risk it all to mine for gold.

We are currently searching for individuals to take part in our next exciting network TV series ‘Pioneers’. We are looking for American families who are considering starting new lives for themselves in the great American wilderness and are willing to be followed throughout their experiences by our cameras.

Have you always dreamed of making a new life for your family in the wilderness, away from bureaucracy and the rat race? Have you and your friends been talking about starting a new community with your own rules? Or are you already living in a community away from society?

If you answer yes to any of these, or know someone who would – we would love to hear from you.
Please email your contact details and your story to pioneers@rawtelevision.co.uk

Thanks so much for your time,

Seth

Raw TV

#214930 - 01/14/11 01:49 PM Re: TV opportunity – from the makers of Gold Rush [Re: RawTV]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
for real?

#214932 - 01/14/11 02:13 PM Re: TV opportunity – from the makers of Gold Rush [Re: RawTV]
6pac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: N.E. Alabama
That's great, can't wait to see how this turns out. This reminds me of when Les Stroud was starting his show and he came to this site asking questions and opinions.

#214938 - 01/14/11 04:15 PM Re: TV opportunity – from the makers of Gold Rush [Re: RawTV]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I enjoy these shows. I haven't seen all the episodes of Gold Rush but am looking forward to finishing it.

I have to point out that a PBS series called "Pioneer House" did something very similar and in that show they had to deal with the fact that they did NOT get to make their own rules because no portion of the United States is without hunting laws and therefore they could not hunt for game since game seasons were not within the window of the show's filming.

I also have to note that the "easy" land for settling has all been taken long, long ago. Any frontier land left nowadays will be extremely difficult to make a living from. A counter to that would be to rent some of the "easy" land for this endeavor. But even then, the fidelity to the original frontier will be hurt (no supply of buffalo chips for fuel, no herds of buffalo to hunt, can't hunt anytime, have to protect the Preble's Jumping Mouse habitat while plowing, etc)

(Note that the Gold Rush guys ran afoul of Alaska Fish & Game for digging in the creekbed......)

I'm looking forward to watching it :-)

#214939 - 01/14/11 04:17 PM Re: TV opportunity – from the makers of Gold Rush [Re: RawTV]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Good practice for TEOTWAWKI. Will look forward to checking out the show.

I'd need Wi-Fi. And my family consists of Gidget, a Samoyed who would be prone to lick the camera lens. She would enjoy a snowier clime.

Where is this "great American wilderness?"

#214941 - 01/14/11 04:40 PM Re: TV opportunity – from the makers of Gold Rush [Re: RawTV]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Why yes, I want to be on TV so I can show all my warts, pimples, foibles and be second guessed by anyone and everyone. I do have some questions however:

Just exactly what would I be paid and in what currency? Hope it's not in pounds, I can't understand farthings, quid, and stuff. I'd prefer some of that gold the Gold Rush guys can't find.

What would I be required to provide? Can I bring my own weapons and what are the restrictions? How about tools and other stuff? Can I bring my generator? Is wi-fi provided?

Where will I be going and for how long? Alaska isn't a frontier, it's been settled for quite some time, so can we go to a South Pacific island? I don't like being cold, but can hang with being warmish.

Do I get to keep the land I homestead on? Who provides it anyhow? There's not a lot of free land in Alaska.

Do I have any say in what is and isn't shown on TV. I'd prefer not to be shown running around in my undies or less. My potty breaks are private too. As is my nap time. Eating too, I've been known to spill stuff and that would be embarrassing. So if you want to show pics of me strutting around looking all manly and macho and stuff, good luck with that, lol.

How far from the local Holiday Inn will we be, and most important, what are the rules on the mini-bar?

#214943 - 01/14/11 05:39 PM Re: TV opportunity – from the makers of Gold Rush [Re: RawTV]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Hi Seth. Thanks for posting, this looks like an interesting show. I'll admit I dreamed of doing such a thing, however my wife dreams about having a place even CLOSER to Walmart than the 8 minutes away we are currently. frown

Like many on this board, I am curious about some of the details of this project. I'm reading it as you want to follow a family that has already taken the first steps in homesteading including already having a peice of land picked out or purchased and you just want to follow them along with a camera. Is that correct or do you have a peice of land for the family already in mind? If Raw TV will be supplying the land what happens after the show? Is it given to the family, sold to them, or are they expected to leave when it's done?

Of course the big question is what sort of financial incentive will be given to the family? I realize that will be somewhat open to negotiation but a ballpark figure would help people out. For instance, I was offered $8k-$10k for a ten week stint as a colonist on the second season of "The Colony". That wasn't enough to make up for being fired if I took the role. I had to pass but obviously it was enough for the other cast members.

I look forward to seeing how this pans out and offer my assistance/connections in any way you might find useful.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (01/14/11 06:01 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#214944 - 01/14/11 05:48 PM Re: TV opportunity – from the makers of Gold Rush [Re: RawTV]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Can I be the token Brit?

#214946 - 01/14/11 05:58 PM Re: TV opportunity – from the makers of Gold Rush [Re: RawTV]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Could probably come up to our house and film us as-is for this show wink My wife may not be on board for that, although we are needing a new chicken coop, I wonder if they pay in supplies :-D

#214948 - 01/14/11 06:15 PM Re: TV opportunity – from the makers of Gold Rush [Re: RawTV]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Having done a tiny bit of "reality" tv, I may point out that is much less being a pioneer and more of Producers making up the rules as they go along to get interesting tv, i.e. Adding conflicts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.