Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#213971 - 12/30/10 10:07 PM Survival Fishing - Crayfish and Crawdads
Paulb Offline
Journeyman

#213980 - 12/31/10 12:00 AM Re: Survival Fishing - Crayfish and Crawdads [Re: Paulb]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I have eaten crayfish (we call them 'mudbugs') from cleanwater creeks. You can catch as many as you want with a curved stick and a little net. They are excellent eating when steamed or quick boiled. Since we were camping last time we caught and ate them, we had butter with us to melt and dip the tails in.

#213986 - 12/31/10 01:58 AM Re: Survival Fishing - Crayfish and Crawdads [Re: Paulb]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Paulb

Oh man, I love crawdads! I've wondered if that bottle trap really works. If the pictures can be trusted I guess the answer is yes.

Something I've been looking for is a crawdad trap that folds flat for easy storage in my backpack. Has anyone seen anything like this or do I need to invent it myself? smile

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#213991 - 12/31/10 02:22 AM Re: Survival Fishing - Crayfish and Crawdads [Re: Paulb]
Newsman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NW Arkansas
Blast, that type of device works.

One modification I used as a kid was to enlarge the funnel hole by cutting below the screw top. The small diameter of the top limits the size of crawdads that can get inside. If you want the big boys you've got to open the hole.

Also, I dug a hole to bury most of the bottle, then piled rocks up around it to make it easier for them to climb inside.

One thing we discovered is that crawdads can't really swim up -- meaning that you don't really need a funnel to keep them if the trap is small and tall. If the trap is on its side the funnel is mandatory -- but if it's standing up the funnel won't be needed.

The trap works in cloudy/deep water. And it works without supervision -- a much better survival technique because it gives time to do other things. Multiple traps increases the size of supper.

Fishing also works well. But it has to be done by hand and by sight. Meaning it's time consuming. But if you don't have something to transform into a trap, fishing might be the only method that a person in a survival situation can use.

While the trap requires meat of some sort for bait, fishing for crawdads does not. Any bright tidbit of cloth tied to strip can entice a crawdad to pinch. But bait works better.

Regarding a folding trap, I guess any box will work -- a plastic one of some sort. Because the crawdads can't swim up, as long as the box is tall and skinny, it should work as a trap.

Sounds like something to add to the spring experiment list.

#213994 - 12/31/10 03:16 AM Re: Survival Fishing - Crayfish and Crawdads [Re: Blast]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
1Qt.Plastic Milk Jugs,Work Like No Tomorrow! You can Flatten them out,& Reshape them a few times,Before they start to Crack.A 90% Velveeta/10% Anchovy Paste mixture,Rolled into 1" balls,then put into a corner of a Baggie(Lunch size),twist it up, snip with scissors,Rubberband to twisted end to seal,Done!When you get to Your destination,Blow into the Jug to Reshape,Doesn't have to be perfect,Tie some Paracord to the handle,Aprox.8' of Cord,Stake the other end into the Bank,Take out a bait ball,Poke a few holes into it(Toothpick size),Stuff it into the Jug,Dig out enough Muck,about 1' from shoreline,to sink the jug-7/8-of it's length into the Muck hole,Mark your stake,Move on to your next hole.Jugs should be placed No closer than 10' from each other,& It helps Alot to, Place jugs where You've seen them!Comeback in 8 or more hrs,& Pull your Load in,& Enjoy!Since this is a Survival Thread,The Best Natural bait for Crawdads,Are a Crawdad with a Split Underside,They are Cannibals! Now Enjoy!

Edited by Richlacal (12/31/10 03:23 AM)

#213999 - 12/31/10 04:43 AM Re: Survival Fishing - Crayfish and Crawdads [Re: Blast]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: Blast
Something I've been looking for is a crawdad trap that folds flat for easy storage in my backpack. Has anyone seen anything like this or do I need to invent it myself? smile -Blast

Promar has at least a couple sizes of traps that fold flat.

#214118 - 01/02/11 07:11 AM Re: Survival Fishing - Crayfish and Crawdads [Re: Blast]
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
Blast:

I think you can still find the fold-flat nets around here. If I can get one, I'll see if we can stick it in the luggage in a few weeks.

But, they only work for crawfish - we don't eat crayfish round these parts. Wouldn't know what to do with the darn things. grin

.....cliff
(like, who else?)

#214926 - 01/14/11 01:22 PM Re: Survival Fishing - Crayfish and Crawdads [Re: Paulb]
morto Offline

Loc: Melton, Victoria, Australia
I don't know about these crawdads and crawfish, in Eastern Australia we call them yabbies. Just as tasty though, and easy to catch.

#214933 - 01/14/11 02:24 PM Re: Survival Fishing - Crayfish and Crawdads [Re: Paulb]
6pac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: N.E. Alabama
I like the name "Yabbies", but I've never eaten them. I'm guessing they taste like shrimp or rock lobster?

#214955 - 01/14/11 11:23 PM Re: Survival Fishing - Crayfish and Crawdads [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Frabill, also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 435 Guests and 189 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.