The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#214920 - 01/14/11 04:04 AM Re: basic tool kit - Home [Re: TeacherRO]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I can't live without wire cutters, the larger kind. I think they might also be called 'diagonals'. And a 4' metal ruler and a 24" level.

The warranties on the batteries of cordless stuff really is a joke. By the time you need them, they don't make them anymore. Just get a cheap cordless drill/driver and toss it when it dies. Then get another cheap one. I just broke down and bought an 18v cordless Skil drill/driver for $29. It's about a dollar more than the cost of a battery for the old 12v.

Most of my tools last a long time... until my brother uses them. He destroys the power tools and loses the hand tools in the dirt or weeds. I find them months later, a lump of rust. So, if someone wants to borrow your tools, collect a cash deposit of the price of the tool. THAT tends to discourage them!

Sue

#214921 - 01/14/11 05:31 AM Re: basic tool kit - Home [Re: Susan]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I work in construction and we use Dewalt cordless powertools (specifically their 18v models). From what I've seen these are pretty much the standard of the industry. Some of our Dewalt cordless tools are from 1995 and are still in use today. If I need new batteries for them (I usually get 3-6 years out of a battery), Home Depot, Lowes, and various other stores sell them in a twin-pack for around $110 and have for years now.

I could never see going back to corded tools, even for home use. The good cordless stuff now works just as well and we no longer find ourselves tripping over cords, having to run ridiculously long extension cords, having to deal with cut, tangling, or fraying cords, or needing to run generators or vehicles constantly just to power simple electric handtools. They've made our job significantly less frustrating and a lot safer.

#214923 - 01/14/11 10:49 AM Re: basic tool kit - Home [Re: TeacherRO]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
The best value I've seen are the kits of tools that bought individually would be several times the price. same for the little boxes of screws nails etc. forget multi tools good as they are this is a home kit.
qjs

#214924 - 01/14/11 11:11 AM Re: basic tool kit - Home [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Susan

The warranties on the batteries of cordless stuff really is a joke. By the time you need them, they don't make them anymore. Just get a cheap cordless drill/driver and toss it when it dies. Then get another cheap one. I just broke down and bought an 18v cordless Skil drill/driver for $29. It's about a dollar more than the cost of a battery for the old 12v.

The battery not being available only applies to the cheap cordless tools, if you buy better ones the barreries are sold for many years.
My father buys the $29 cheap tools and I bought a $99 makita in 1995. 16 years later he had spent $230 on cordelss drills replacing them with another $29 one every couple years and I still had the same $99 one and went out and bought a $29 battery for it around the 10th year so I ended up spending $130 total.

So be careful of the low end stuff, it may cost a little less to buy the tiawan made hammer but when you have to replace it you've just spent more than you would have if you just bought the good brand to start with. That works the same for anything, in laws gave me clothes for Christmas one year that they bought at walmart and the first time I washed them they fell apart. Same with computers, I buy the business model for a little more and don't get a bunch of crap software and they last longer. Spend once for better quality and keep it a lifetime.
If you have relatives that are always borrowing and not returning things buy them a set of the cheap stuff smile

#214931 - 01/14/11 01:50 PM Re: basic tool kit - Home [Re: Paul810]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Paul -- I've got 10 years on the single battery that came with my 18V Dewalt cordless drill. It's getting tired though, doesn't hold a charge as long . . I may just stop by Home Depot today.

As for the tools, buy a quality multi-tool and look what it can do -- there's a clue in the answer to that question.

First, a small set of high quality screwdrivers and a good drill would be at the top of my home tool kit list. Followed shortly by pliers (needle-nose, Diagonal Cutting Pliers, Wire Strippers, Tongue and Groove Plier) as required. If you plan on doing plumbing you can start adding Crescent/adjustable and pipe wrenches plus a number of plumbing specific tools. A quality crosscut handsaw should also be on the list as well as a good Pry Bar.

Hammer -- sometimes, but around the house I use a drill with screwdrivers much more often. That said, I've got three different weight framing hammers, two finishing hammers an old ball peen hammer and a rubber mallet; they don't see much use.

My old Porter Cable 6 1/2" circular saw hasn't been off the shelf since I rebuilt the bedroom closets. Great saw, just nothing for it to do here. That said, a Dewalt 6-1/2 in. 18 Volt Cordless could replace it; it takes the same battery as the drill.

Go HERE and start making a list, it adds up quickly.

#214934 - 01/14/11 02:24 PM Re: basic tool kit - Home [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The adjustable channellock type of pliers are handy for plumbing things too.
I got a couple old 5 gallon buckets and have one for electrical tools/parts and one for plumbing tools/parts. That way when I need to do a small project I just grab the whole set. for example last week I had to replace a smoke detector so I just grabbed the bucket which had the wire strippers and wire nuts both.

#214935 - 01/14/11 02:35 PM Re: basic tool kit - Home [Re: TeacherRO]
6pac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: N.E. Alabama
I'm still using the same Dewalt 12v drill that I'd been using for 15+ years. They can last if you treat them well.

#214942 - 01/14/11 04:52 PM Re: basic tool kit - Home [Re: TeacherRO]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
If you have a 12/14.4/18 volt cordless tool with a dead or missing battery, then with a little ingenuity it can be used with an external 12 volt battery.
The current demand is substantial but easily supplied by a vehicle battery or similar.
At least #10 wire should be used, and not too long.

Not very convienient I grant, but cheap and works in power cuts, and safer in wet conditions than line voltage.

#214945 - 01/14/11 05:51 PM Re: basic tool kit - Home [Re: TeacherRO]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
2m Tape measure
10m Tape measure
30cm metal rule

and a good spirit level.

Measure twice cut once.

Edited by Johno (01/14/11 05:52 PM)

#214947 - 01/14/11 06:13 PM Re: basic tool kit - Home [Re: TeacherRO]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Buy them as you need them if you are on a limited budget. This way you buy what you need, and don't have to "think" you will need it.

-Tape measures at least 3.
-Scissors at least 2.
-Pipe wrenches at least 2. (I like the blue handled quick-adjust ones. They fit most residential pipes, and then get 1 or 2 large ones when you need them.) Good yard sale item to find.
-Tape. Masking, Duct, Electrical. At least 1 of each.
-Screwdriver. Pick up a complete 'set' of craftsmen pro. They cost a little more than standard but the grip is much better especially in the rain.
-Hammers get at least 2 or 3 depending on what you plan to do/type and size.
-Nail pullers. 2 or 3 depending how hard nails you want are to get. THe flat/drywall kind and also the kind you mash with a hammer for removing from decks/etc.
-Cheap multi-LED flashlight to keep in tool kit as utility light.
-Headlamp
-6' or 8' ladder and a 10'+ if you have the need.
-Pen/Pencil
-Drill + Drill bits and misc phillips/square/hex
-Wash buckets or 5g buckets
-Broom
-2-3 crescent wrenches in varying sizes (small->large)
-Needle Nose & Standard Pliers. (I like Knipex high voltage rated)
-Couple pocket knives
-Box Cutter/Razor blade knife
-2 Shovels, Pick Axe
-IF in snow, snow shovel

I like Milwaukee lithium ion batteries/tools. I have almost the complete v28 set and use the tools for everything! For impact driver I don't think you can beat the Hilti 14.4 it's light, the lights are bright, and the batteries literally last longer than any other battery tool I've used!

Depending on your property you may need some pruning tools too.
A wheel barrow, a wagon, a rake, a sawzall, etc.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 243 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.