Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#214529 - 01/08/11 01:53 AM Is your bag packed? (BOB)
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Relating a story from a few years ago, a major call out big event and I started to grab every thing and go...Very slowly.

I had the stuff; work clothes, ID, safety gear, ability to stay overnight...But not pre-packed. (Not even a checklist.)

Getting ready took forever. Lesson learned.

Is your bag packed? Or, at the very least, do you have a pre-printed check list?

#214531 - 01/08/11 02:03 AM Re: Is your bag packed? (BOB) [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

My bags are packed, but I haven't reserved the u-Haul.

Your neighborhood was possibly being evacuated? Or you had a work thing?

Do you live in Maryland?

And now the song "Leaving On A Jet Plane" is ringing in my head.

"All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go...."

#214532 - 01/08/11 02:21 AM Re: Is your bag packed? (BOB) [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Our BoB's are always packed and ready to grab and go. Any extra time allows for a few more nice things to be loaded.

#214539 - 01/08/11 04:14 AM Re: Is your bag packed? (BOB) [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
For a CERT call-out I'm good as long as I get the word at home; my CERT gear is by the door and fully packed. For a work-related call-out I might have to pack my laptop up but otherwise I'm ready.

For a bug out, if all we can grab on the way out the door is one of our BOBs, we're in pretty good shape. Mine is in my car and hers is in her van, at all times.

If there's time to load the rest of the bug-out/bug-in gear, it's containerized in wife-portable chunks. She can load it into the van by herself if I'm not home. One exception would be guns, which are always locked up when not on someone's person. Another exception is cash; finances have not permitted me to put together a useful amount to stash in the BOBs. I'd like to have enough on hand so that if cash still works but ATMs and credit cards don't we'd still be able to buy gas, food and lodging.

If there's a few minutes more, we start loading comfort items and the like. There's a checklist based loosely on Blast's Binder.

#214546 - 01/08/11 06:05 AM Re: Is your bag packed? (BOB) [Re: chaosmagnet]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I'm set up to shelter in place, but I don't have a BOB packed and ready to go to bug out. Honestly, I can't imagine a scenario where I'd be better off bugging out than staying in. In Colorado, we don't have hurricanes, floods (where I live), earthquakes, etc. We have the rare tornado, but they're the really small ones that do minimal damage to a small ares (where I live). Even big snowstorms are rare, and short lived. A nuclear blast in Denver might make me want to leave, but if that happened I'd probably be too crispy-crittered to travel very far anyway.

#214568 - 01/08/11 03:49 PM Re: Is your bag packed? (BOB) [Re: haertig]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig
Honestly, I can't imagine a scenario where I'd be better off bugging out than staying in.

Its the middle of the night and your awakened by the smoke alarm and smell smoke. Its cold and snowing outside so you grab your bob which has warm clothes and keys to your car so you can get dressed and shelter.

#214573 - 01/08/11 06:27 PM Re: Is your bag packed? (BOB) [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
We're packed and ready to go. In fact, this weekend's prep priority is to check and re-pack the family BOB, and add a few more things to the pantry and deep freeze.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#214578 - 01/08/11 09:38 PM Re: Is your bag packed? (BOB) [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I keep BoB's packed and ready in case of a HazMat incident on either I-10, I-49/Hwy 90, or a train derails.

I've lived here 9 years and there has been 1 HazMat incident at the rail yard in which we were just outside of the "Evacuation Area" which consisted of a 1 mile radius of the spill.

In my lifetime, I have evacuated from one HazMat incident in 1968 (lots of flames but no gas) and lived with having to have a gas mask on hand at all times through a sunken Chlorine Barge incident in the Lower Mississippi River in the early 60's (No, I don't actually remember that one). That's 3 total incidents thus far in my lifetime.

Since I am involved in the Maritime Petro-Chemical Transportation, I am well aware of what moves on our highways, railways, and rivers/canals.

#214581 - 01/08/11 11:34 PM Re: Is your bag packed? (BOB) [Re: TeacherRO]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I also have everything ready to go, in 30 min, I can have substantial amount of gear moved (for 4 weeks), In 1 hour I can have enough equipment for a extremely long duration move(over a year). All BOB's and equipment are staged. Less than 5 min, I only have a 3 day supply.

#214585 - 01/09/11 12:27 AM Re: Is your bag packed? (BOB) [Re: Eugene]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Eugene

Its the middle of the night and your awakened by the smoke alarm and smell smoke. Its cold and snowing outside so you grab your bob which has warm clothes and keys to your car so you can get dressed and shelter.

That's a point, but we have our coats hanging by the front door, along with sets of car keys, and it's only about a 50 foot walk to one of many neighbors (we're on a cul-de-sac). But in other housing situations, I can see your point.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.