Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#214354 - 01/05/11 02:27 PM How do you extend the wick on a Peanut lighter?
DavidEnoch Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Texas
How do you extend the wick on a Peanut lighter? I am not very lighter savvy.

David Enoch

#214363 - 01/05/11 04:06 PM Re: How do you extend the wick on a Peanut lighter? [Re: DavidEnoch]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The savvy folks are sleeping in today, and I am not one of them, but just a suggestion - try physically on the wick to advance it - gently, gently.

I am intrigued by the Peanut lighter - there is just enough room on my keychain to accommodate one. How is it working for you?

#214371 - 01/05/11 05:46 PM Re: How do you extend the wick on a Peanut lighter? [Re: DavidEnoch]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Just pull. If it's too short to grip get some small pliers or tweezers. If you pull too much and need to trim it nail clippers work great.

#214372 - 01/05/11 05:54 PM Re: How do you extend the wick on a Peanut lighter? [Re: ducktapeguy]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Yes Dave, see link below. All peanut lighter parts are interchangeable with a normal zippo, when changing out the flint, you have to use a little sand paper or file from a leatherman, concrete or something to reduce the diameter down a little. The wick can be replaced with a pair of hemostats or pliers. Also the higher the wick, the bigger the flame. Bottom line is you need to pull the cotton out of the lighter, pull the old wick out from the bottom, twist the new wick really good to feed through the hole by inserting it in from the top, when it sticks through at the bottom, pull the amount you want out with the hemostats. Experiment with the link left out at the top and notice the flame size difference.
See below:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post188856

Now that's a fire!

#214378 - 01/05/11 07:26 PM Re: How do you extend the wick on a Peanut lighter? [Re: DavidEnoch]
DavidEnoch Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Texas
Thanks everyone, and especially Falcon5000 for the pictures and information. I had tried to pull up the wick before with my Leatherman pliers and it just frayed the wick and seemed to be stuck. But, just now I tried again and this time it did pull up. I get a much better flame with 3/16" or so sticking up than with 1/16".

David Enoch

#214380 - 01/05/11 08:00 PM Re: How do you extend the wick on a Peanut lighter? [Re: DavidEnoch]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Where's a good place to buy Zippo wicks? I didn't see them at Walmart, and employees there don't even know that a Zippo wick is.

By the way, thank you Falcon5000! It's good to know those wicks and that fluid work because that's what I have.

#214385 - 01/05/11 11:43 PM Re: How do you extend the wick on a Peanut lighter? [Re: DavidEnoch]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

ireckon, both our walmarts and Walgreen's here had both the flints and wicks, although lately I haven't seen them at walmart but still are at walgreens. Worst case you can get them from zippo or smokey mountain knife works. I would recommend your primary peanut lighter you are going to carry with you to change out the flint and wick with either zippo or rosen and you will have a greater quality of components and tweaking the length of a good quality zippo wick can make a pretty decent size flame.

Dave, glad to help. I have had very good luck with peanut lighters once I put better parts in them. I continue to randomly test them to see if they still light up years latter. Always carry one 24/7 and a fov of fuel for longer run time.

#214401 - 01/06/11 03:51 AM Re: How do you extend the wick on a Peanut lighter? [Re: DavidEnoch]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'll try out better quality parts (Zippo wick and flint) to see how it goes. Lately, I've had more confidence in plain mini Bics. Mini Bics just work, while Peanut Lighters are relatively high maintenance.

#268787 - 04/02/14 05:40 PM Re: How do you extend the wick on a Peanut lighter? [Re: DavidEnoch]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Old thread wake up...

I just got around to changing the wick on my Peanut Lighter. The old wick appears to be the same size as a Zippo wick. So, I tried a Zippo wick. It's basically impossible. I am going to try to glue the end of the wick so that it will stay together while going through the hole.

EDIT:

A little glue on the wick did the trick. I twisted the wick with a dab from a glue stick (the kind for binding paper).

Edited by ireckon (04/04/14 12:43 AM)

#268795 - 04/02/14 10:42 PM Re: How do you extend the wick on a Peanut lighter? [Re: ]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I'm at the point after about two years where I need to replace the wick in mine. For some reason CC used those British copper/tin weave wicks I've only seen in overseas lighters. Which apparently conserve fuel, but the metal melts over time and burns up the wick quicker. At least that's what I figure. Not sure what I'll do when my wick totally kicks the bucket.

I'll probably totally disassemble mine and rebuild it.

Zippo wick is the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.