The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#214226 - 01/03/11 08:23 PM Queensland Australia
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
In case you missed it, the largest flood - in recorded history - is happening right now in Australia.

200,000 people displaced
An area larger than Germany and France COMBINED under water.
Water is still rising.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6BU09620110102

#214234 - 01/03/11 09:50 PM Re: Queensland Australia [Re: MartinFocazio]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe

#214242 - 01/03/11 11:55 PM Re: Queensland Australia [Re: raptor]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX

Pic. #4 of that snake really creeped me out.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#214254 - 01/04/11 03:40 AM Re: Queensland Australia [Re: MartinFocazio]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I work with a Aussie as well, he's a real good guy, I kinda feel sorry for his country. Australia has the most dead-least snakes and spiders in the world, there temperatures in the deserts are some of the highest in the world and drouts as well, the seas have the box jellyfish, great whites, etc.. Then you have all the satellite and space junk from all the big space players keep raining there junk all over their island. Then on top of that, they have a government that is cracking down on knives, guns, crossbows, etc.. So basically you are in the target zone no matter what you do there, rough living, but their are some nice places to live there, you just have to keep on your toes.

#214257 - 01/04/11 04:19 AM Re: Queensland Australia [Re: MartinFocazio]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
It's Quite Funny,Some of The Finest Minds Refer to Austrailia as An Island,When in Fact,It is a Continent! A Flood,Larger than the state of Texas!Man! That is Unfathomable,No Pun Intended of course!

#214870 - 01/13/11 09:49 AM Re: Queensland Australia [Re: MartinFocazio]
scrounger Offline
Stranger

Loc: Australia
Stories in all Australian media about "panic buying" across supermarkets, along with reader comments about how they went down to grab a few last minute essentials but has been beaten to them by "panic buyers" (upon reading which my head exploded).

Rocklea markets : Brisbane's main wholesale produce markets where grocers source their produce is under several metres of water, so fresh produce is going to be thin on the ground for a while. They're organising alternative sites but with many roads cut off distribution is going to be a problem.

Lockyer Valley : Brisbane's salad bowl more or less. Much of Brisbane's vegetables are grown out here and it has been utterly devestated by the flooding. Rail and road are out all over the place. Australian Army still conducting SAR for survivors (and recovery of victims).

Panic Buying Strips Shops
"PANICKED shoppers stripped supermarkets of basic supplies in Brisbane yesterday, preparing for a flood siege that could last a week. Shelves were denuded of drinking water, canned goods and batteries yesterday as residents raced against the rising inland tide to stock up on food and emergency supplies."

Major supermarkets shut down
"Major supermarkets in Brisbane and Ipswich are shutting their doors due to staff, power and stock shortages as "panic buyers" empty the shelves."

Food stocks low in Brisbane
"Woolworths, one of Australia’s largest supermarket chains, has closed 13 stores in Queensland and on Thursday said it was “increasingly concerned about stock levels in Queensland stores given the extent of road closures, supply issues and staff shortages”.

Now these are the conditions in Brisbane, the state capital with a population of 2.5million in the Greater Brisbane area. If one moves further afield the conditions are worse, with some small towns being without safe water for several days now and essentially out of food (Australian army in the process of providing emergency assistance).

Australians in general, and particularly those in the capital cities really don't have a preparedness mentality. Many people have no more than a few days food on hand, and little or nothing in the way of non-perishable food. The Queensland government has tried a 'softly softly' approach of advising people to construct emergency kits for the Brisbane summer "storm season", but as we have been in drought for the last decade it really isn't taken seriously. In cyclone prone areas in the far north of the state, people have a more considered outlook, as a result of devastating cyclones in the past.

Edited by scrounger (01/13/11 09:54 AM)
Edit Reason: It ate my paragraph om nom nom

#214873 - 01/13/11 01:35 PM Re: Queensland Australia [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Small town where I went to school flooded in the 80's, after it was cleaned up every other house had one of those aluminum fishing boats in the back yard.
I need to work on getting my food preps back in boxes, I just have things stacked on shelves in my crawlspace, needs to be in something easily moved and somehwat water resistant.

#214909 - 01/13/11 11:33 PM Re: Queensland Australia [Re: MartinFocazio]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Maybe you have already seen it but I came across this incredible video where a fast rising creek is taking away cars from a parking lot - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUpkPTcqPY .

Edited by raptor (01/14/11 12:27 AM)
Edit Reason: Sorry, I didnt notice a separate thread about it was already in this section.

#214925 - 01/14/11 11:13 AM Re: Queensland Australia [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It can be powerfull. The river that flooded the town I went to school in did flowed through a military base and people reported seeing tanks floating down the river. They don't really float but just kind of bounce along the rocks on the bottom, but as soon as one hits a bridge it takes down the bridge.

#214940 - 01/14/11 04:26 PM Re: Queensland Australia [Re: MartinFocazio]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Scrounger -- thank you for the insights into the runs on groceries. Certainly is a stark illustration of the need and benefit of preparedness. For the sake of pets as well as peops.

Is the entire country pulling together to help?

A friend lives in Melbourne but this seems a distant news item even for them.

Interesting that the Australian government's "Pantry List" recommends 14-day supply. The U.S. ready.gov emphasizes 72 hours, though it notes that services could be off longer.

http://www.pantrylist.com.au/pantry/dloads/PantryList.pdf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 455 Guests and 73 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.