Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#214135 - 01/02/11 01:59 PM Re: Use of Limited Run Knives [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
For a noncollector, I have quite a few knives...and as for teapots, we only have one, properly English, but then there are my pieces of Pueblo pottery, perhaps not the best choice for earthquake country....

#214144 - 01/02/11 03:19 PM Re: Use of Limited Run Knives [Re: KenK]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i went thru a buying spree about 15 years ago when my old favorite canoeing knife was sort of beat.i was getting three or four a year.some worked out,some made one trip or never left the house but i never got a knife as a collectors item.ok..now about those stoves i bought as collectors items--------

Edited by CANOEDOGS (01/02/11 03:20 PM)

#214148 - 01/02/11 05:05 PM Re: Use of Limited Run Knives [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Izzy -- are those local knife laws or state?

#214169 - 01/02/11 10:29 PM Re: Use of Limited Run Knives [Re: KenK]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
What you decide to collect is a highly personal decision. I don't view the knives mentioned in the original post as being collector items. I would want to USE each of them, but that's my personal opinion, to each his own.

#214203 - 01/03/11 04:39 PM Re: Use of Limited Run Knives [Re: ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: Russ
Izzy -- are those local knife laws or state?

State. The law is quite vague and has not been properly updated since the 1950's. Until they clarify what "A common pocket knife" is by today's standards a lot of lawyers (one I spoke to) suggested people cease carrying any single blade knives.

Basically our law says "Common pocket knives" may be carried, but then in another section says "concealment of a knife is illegal." So it doesn't say if a common knife (legal, but not sure what that means in the day of one handed openers) is legal or not illegal to carry even in your pocket.

I'm playing it safe.

that is an interesting tangent here. We have a pretty lenient carry policy in AZ but know its harsher elsewhere. Like most all of us here, I carry a folder(s) in my EDC, in my pocket, glovebox, map holder on my door, small one in each of my running packs, etc, and have considered how that would play out if asked by an LEO if I had anything sharp on me.

So a while back while eating someplace I came across a couple local LEO's and decided to ask them their opinion. It was a good conversation but basically they stated as long as I was not suspected of a crime, justed being patted down for safety, then having a modest folder in my pocket or backpack would not be seen as illegal or improper. Meaning, a general pat down was one thing, being taken into custody for committing a non-vehicular crime something else.

They also took into account the location of the blade on me and type. The actually liked my RSK Mk1 in my pocket but again situation dictates how most LEO would react to it. However if it (or any other folder or multi like Leatherman or SAK) was found zipped up in my EDC pouch inside my backpack, they wouldn't care as long as it was obviously being considered as one tool in a preparedness kit by the user and a not readily deployable weapon.

YMMV where you live and the LEO you interact with.

#214211 - 01/03/11 05:30 PM Re: Use of Limited Run Knives [Re: ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Apparently being caught with some unpasteurized organic raw milk is a much more serious crime (Federal ?) than carrying an illegal knife under local jurisdiction laws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcGuAfX_yJU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTi9ofo3QDo

Perhaps the local gangs will move out of illicit guns, crack cocaine, Crystal Meth etc and move into illicit home grown organic plums and cabbages. laugh

#214247 - 01/04/11 01:24 AM Re: Use of Limited Run Knives [Re: KenK]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
My brother and I just divided my late father's knife collection. He didn't own a single pristine "safe queen" knife. Every single one had the blade reprofiled ("convex edge" style). He spent more time sharpening and polishing than he ever did using knives. The only value any of them hold for me is sentimental. He didn't collect valuable knives. Even the two he considered the most valuable are probably under $50.

Me? I have a mix of abused knives (mostly cheap junk) from my youth and ones I've inherited. Those only have sentimental value. I have some decent knives that I've used regularly but retired - mostly Spydercos, Benchmade, and SAKs. Those don't have much value except sentimental either. Then I have some barely touched knives that I just haven't had a reason to use yet. None of them are collectible but probably held their value.

At my peak of knife-collecting, I bought a Chris Reeve Sebenza, but it's the only knife I ever sold. I couldn't bear to carry and use a folder that's that expensive and it didn't make sense to me to keep a knife like that locked away in a box. It was nice to have, but wasn't much of an investment.

I do have one "limited-edition" SAK - a gift from my wife. I don't know what the hell to do with it. I can't see it really appreciating in value, but I can't bring myself to use it either. Probably going to have to sell it.

On the knife law thing, I've never had a problem in all my years in Florida. I've carried up to 4" tactical folders clipped inside my pocket around officers from many law enforcement agencies dozens of times in different situations. Nobody's ever asked me about my knife except when I'm flying.

#214313 - 01/05/11 01:38 AM Re: Use of Limited Run Knives [Re: KenK]
Adventureboy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Peoria, AZ ,USA
Wow! Yet one more reason why I love Arizona. The knife laws are so loose I could carry my Ontario SP8 Machete out in public (legally) and would except I would get a lot of funny looks.lol. The same with gun laws, you don't even need a permit to CC a handgun! It is Awesome!
Adventureboy

Edited by Adventureboy (01/05/11 01:38 AM)

#214325 - 01/05/11 03:39 AM Re: Use of Limited Run Knives [Re: KenK]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I don't think I am exaggerating that every other day I see someone open carry (sidearm) in Phoenix.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.