Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#213983 - 12/31/10 01:04 AM Use of Limited Run Knives
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I've been thinking about this since I ordered one of Doug's new RSK Mk2 Perseverance fixed blade knife ...

If you've purchased one of Doug's limited run Mk1 knives (with M2 or M4 steel), or with the soon-to-ship Mk2, - or any other really nice limited run knife - do you use those knives as you would the standard Mk1 (or any great knife), OR do you leave it unused and pristine, as a collectible?

Hi. My name is Ken, and this is where I have to admit that I have both the M2 and M4 Mk1 folders and they remain essentially unused and pristine personal treasures.

My regular & mini Mk1's get used a LOT, as does my fixed blade Mk3, but the limited run blades are stowed carefully away in my treasure box. Now I'm kind of bugged that I'll do the same thing with the Mk2.

It would be kind of a like buying a Chevy Corvette and leaving it in a garage so it doesn't get worn or damaged (insurance-related issues aside).

Silly eh?!! Are there any other closet knife hoarders out there?

#213989 - 12/31/10 02:06 AM Re: Use of Limited Run Knives [Re: KenK]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I use, and collect knives, and have since 4th grade when I received my first one as a gift!

I have used every knife I own. Some sit more than others but I`m not afraid to use any.

If I don't use it I sell it, and get one I like that I would use more.

#213992 - 12/31/10 02:35 AM Re: Use of Limited Run Knives [Re: Todd W]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
knives = tools. Tools get used. But if collecting is your bag, knives make a lot more sense as collectibles than teapots, IMHO....

#213995 - 12/31/10 03:27 AM Re: Use of Limited Run Knives [Re: KenK]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

If you buy knives as an investment or art object you will want them to remain in mint condition.

I buy knives to use. I remember an interview with a knife-maker, Pauly I believe, and his take was that even though his custom knives are held as art pieces he considers a knife that goes unused as a waste. He makes them to be used. He said that he considers a knife that has been used hard, shows wear, and sharpened to a fraction of its original length to be beautiful.

He made his reputation making knives using exotic materials and highly polished blades but with this realization, and a certain level of financial security, he shifted to less flashy materials matte finishes and single color micarta handles.

#213998 - 12/31/10 04:33 AM Re: Use of Limited Run Knives [Re: KenK]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I confess that I also have a few knives that have never seen the bush. Some are limited edition knives, others are ones that I ordered online that did not feel right in my hand after they arrived, they are unused as they will be sold/traded off.

Picked up 2 SAK's over Christmas, a Farmer and a My First Victorinox Plus, both were about half price!

Yesterday I ordered a GB Wildlife Hatchet, a classic carbon Mora with a lower gaurd, a Mora Two-Handed Push/Draw Knife and some sharpening supplies.

Mike (I admit have a problem)

#214007 - 12/31/10 12:55 PM Re: Use of Limited Run Knives [Re: Art_in_FL]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I buy knives for both collecting and use. Some of my knives are works of art that could be carried, but I won't because they are art. Others are simply limited editions with different blade or handle material and those are available for the right occasion.

My RSK's are all users. I had two of the RSK in M2, carried one, kept the second as back-up. Both retired now that the M4 version is out. One of my EDC knives is an RSK in S30V -- no collectible there.

#214008 - 12/31/10 12:57 PM Re: Use of Limited Run Knives [Re: KenK]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

My name is Doug and I hoard knives. grin

I do have an minor advantage, but since I only get one of my own knives free, I always buy another one to use. Prototypes get well-used and abused, of course.

I do have a handful of safe-queens that I hold onto that have come into my possession or that I have bought. Mostly rare knives, short runs or "last of" knives, that I couldn't resist or were given to me and I want to keep unused for the reason given.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#214009 - 12/31/10 01:01 PM Re: Use of Limited Run Knives [Re: KenK]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I have a couple in my collection I haven't used. Some are SAKs that are destined to be taken apart for custom work if I every have a workspace. Others are my dressy ones- those get carried when I dress up, which is basically never, but on the occasion they are what I have in my pocket they are what I'll use.

If I get a Mk2 (thinking about it), I'll carry it. It might not get used as much as some of my other knives, becuase I wouldn't keep it in the truck and most of my off the blacktop trips are kind of off the cuff, but for planned trips it might just make me leave the Ka-Bars at home.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#214121 - 01/02/11 07:18 AM Re: Use of Limited Run Knives [Re: KenK]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Man o' man. I have dozens of knives, but will state that I rotate the vast majority of my folders. The fixed don't get out much.

#214131 - 01/02/11 01:03 PM Re: Use of Limited Run Knives [Re: hikermor]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: hikermor
knives = tools. Tools get used. But if collecting is your bag, knives make a lot more sense as collectibles than teapots, IMHO....

Excellent point. And timely as just yesterday I was among many admiring a friend's English teapot collection. Pretty but so fragile and useless (unless you wear your teapots out).

If I had the last twenty years to do over, I'd have less art and more knives (some of which are art, IMHO).

Doug's knives are all users. Good-looking but not garage queens. I have the MK1s (reg and mini and even the pink), MK3 (a handsome knife but so perfect for actually being used that I carry it in my daypack and car kit), MK4 (elegant and suitably at home in my purse where it will rarely be needed). Have so many MK5s I've lost count -- they're in wallets, backpacks, purses, PSKs, bike bag... My hesitations with the MK2 have been that it's not as sleek, looks a tad tacticool and larger than I've thought I need (have a Golok and many hatchets) yet I still gaze at it occasionally.....

My Barkies are garage queens -- too pretty to scuff when I have so many other knives to use. And quite heavy compared to the MK3 -- which makes far more sense to carry.

Thank goodness for Moras -- my first-line fixed blades, backups, loaners and gifts. If they are lost, broken or stolen, I won't cry. Would be steamed, but not heartbroken.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 346 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.