Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#214016 - 12/31/10 01:41 PM Re: Determining if downed power lines are live? [Re: JohnN]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: JohnN
Originally Posted By: bws48

Please, treat all downed lines as live at all times just like you treat all guns as loaded.

I suppose that means we shouldn't learn anything about firearms, either.

-john

Nope, quite the opposite.

Treating all guns as loaded should be common sense since the gun in question (per the quote) is in your control and you are responsible for the potentially destructive results. This means you should be very familiar with this tool that you control.

The downed power line is every bit as potentially destructive but the power is not in your control and is probably under some automatic control that includes cycled resets. With downed power lines all you control is your actions.

Maybe it would help to think of the downed power line as an firearm that someone is pointing at you ? At that point I am going to assume it is loaded no matter what the ill considered person on the other end says.

- Eric

#214036 - 12/31/10 05:51 PM Re: Determining if downed power lines are live? [Re: JohnN]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sorry, I figured the sarcasm would be self evident.

Despite considering all firearms loaded, we still can talk about how they work, and by understanding the danger and how they function allows us to deal with them if we come across them.

Despite having a firearm pointed at you there is plenty of reasonable discussion of doing something other than just complying (probably the closest analogy to waiting it out).

In any case, I regret starting this thread. Sesh.

-john (the obviously stupid and careless, walking casualty)

Edited by JohnN (12/31/10 06:23 PM)

#214049 - 12/31/10 07:41 PM Re: Determining if downed power lines are live? [Re: JohnN]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: JohnN
In any case, I regret starting this thread. Sesh.
-john (the obviously stupid and careless, walking casualty)

Don't be discouraged, your thread was useful and interesting. Riling some folks up should not stop creative thinking and questioning - indeed it just demonstrates the need for more intellectual tolerance and reasoned debate.

So, post on!

#214052 - 12/31/10 10:13 PM Re: Determining if downed power lines are live? [Re: JohnN]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Sorry about missing the sarcasm. Odd that, I tend toward excessive sarcasm most of the time. Similarly, I am sorry to add to your frustrations.

I have been trying to provide information for consideration and discussion, while also including what I thought were appropriate cautionary statements. Personally I find the need for the cautionary statements a royal pain since most of the people visiting this forum are what I would consider reasonable people. Unfortunately it only takes one "unreasonable" person to ruin a good thing so on this particular topic I have probably been erring on the side of paranoia and excessive CYA verbiage.

-Eric

PS - I never said I would comply if someone was waving around a gun, just that I would assume it was loaded. whistle But that is completely off this topic

#215411 - 01/21/11 08:21 PM Re: Determining if downed power lines are live? [Re: JohnN]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
After reading all this again, I had a scary thought:

If power lines fall on your car, catch the car on fire, and its icy out, you're pretty much screwed ( I think... ).

Not exactly sure how you will be able to jump away from the car and land safely and then hop.

Any ideas?

#215415 - 01/21/11 09:58 PM Re: Determining if downed power lines are live? [Re: JohnN]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I was thinking of this thread when I read of a tragedy killing three people when a power line came down in their backyard. Victim #1 approached the line, tried to step over it - Zap. Victim #2 came to his aid - Zap. Victim #3 also came to render assistance - ZAP.

I cannot find the URL for the life of me or I would post it...

To get to your question, I might try to extinguish the fire first, although that could easily not work. Otherwise, choose a location where you can achieve maximum distance. I believe it is best if you can land on one foot. Wear rubber soled foot gear-it will help a little.

#215418 - 01/21/11 11:53 PM Re: Determining if downed power lines are live? [Re: hikermor]
PSM Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Cochise Co., AZ
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I was thinking of this thread when I read of a tragedy killing three people when a power line came down in their backyard. Victim #1 approached the line, tried to step over it - Zap. Victim #2 came to his aid - Zap. Victim #3 also came to render assistance - ZAP.

http://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/news/ci_17153942

#215600 - 01/24/11 12:53 PM Re: Determining if downed power lines are live? [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: hikermor

Here's another link, along with a different incident where three people were electrocuted:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/01/3-electrocuted-in-backyard-of-san-bernardino-home.html

http://www.livevideo.com/video/093FDF0DDD964E229220F22930B4B10E/three-people-on-a-pole-get-ele.aspx

#215604 - 01/24/11 02:44 PM Re: Determining if downed power lines are live? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
That second link is really startling and very impressive ( I almost said electrifying, but I decided not to).

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.