Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#213822 - 12/29/10 01:15 PM Re: Crossing a small flooded river in winter [Re: dweste]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: dweste
How about this:

At the waters edge, by lashing, build a semi-rigid "pole" of roughly harvested trees longer than the river is wide. Use as few trees as you can to minimize the number of lashings. "Hinge" the pole solidly at the downstream end with whatever you have or make. Make yourself as buoyant as possible to insulate your core as much as you can. Push off on the upstream end of the pole and the current will rapidly "close the door" by pushing the upstream end of the pole across the river - where you better get off pretty quickly before the river destroys the "door."

What TV show did you get this ill conceived idea from?

John Lubbock

#213825 - 12/29/10 01:52 PM Re: Crossing a small flooded river in winter [Re: paramedicpete]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
You have created a false situation where the only alternatives are bad ones. If you truly cannot go around the swollen river, the only safe alternative is to wait it out. Find a safe spot on higher ground where you can build a camp and wait.

Patience is your best asset in such a situation, although in the real world you will have other options.

Crossing a swollen river like you described by yourself is extremely dangerous, especially in the winter.

Bob

#213833 - 12/29/10 03:26 PM Re: Crossing a small flooded river in winter [Re: Teslinhiker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
What TV show did you get this ill conceived idea from?

While I am sure this is a re-invention of the wheel, I plead guilty to believing I just thought it up.

#213834 - 12/29/10 03:32 PM Re: Crossing a small flooded river in winter [Re: ILBob]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ILBob
You have created a false situation where the only alternatives are bad ones.

It is an exercise in creative thinking. You know, like you might have to do in a survival situation if you run out of the more conservative alternatives.

If you think awful, "impossible" things cannot happen, or that what you have thought of up to now is all you'll ever need, then good for you and there is no need to play the game.

Edited by dweste (12/29/10 03:34 PM)

#213855 - 12/29/10 06:29 PM Re: Crossing a small flooded river in winter [Re: dweste]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
First step: Break out the map and look for bridges or other crossings. If you recall, Chris McCandless got stopped by the Teklanika River 1/4 mile from a tram across the river. Hike to crossing and walk back down other side.

Second step: If that doesn't work, hike upstream and look for less lethal places to cross. Next, go downstream and repeat.

Third step: Accept that you're not going to cross the river today and either make camp for the night, or head toward toward a road that doesn't require crossing the river. EDIT: Now would be a really good time to break out the cell phone

Save the "heroic" solutions for TV personalities. You don't get paid enough to get yourself killed off camera.

Edited by Mark_R (12/29/10 06:39 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#213856 - 12/29/10 06:52 PM Re: Crossing a small flooded river in winter [Re: Mark_R]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
First step: etc.

Good ideas, though not a scenario solution.

#213865 - 12/29/10 08:20 PM Re: Crossing a small flooded river in winter [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: dweste
Originally Posted By: hikermor
It is an immutable Law of Nature that streams become smaller as you ascend them (eventually)....

Which is why the scenario rules that option out.

I'm sorry dweste. I just don't get the point of this. I guess I could try to imagine a scenario where my kid was stuck on the other side of that river, maybe sick or hurt, and my natural instinct for survival would come second to saving his life, but, even then, the laws of nature still rule. A dead mom can't help him.

If we're ignoring immutable laws of nature in this scenario, then why can't I use one of Harry Potter's spells to create something out of thin air to get me across? Or maybe we could disrupt gravity for a little while so I could float across?

I'm sorry. Crossing would be foolhardy so I'm not playing.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#213873 - 12/29/10 09:16 PM Re: Crossing a small flooded river in winter [Re: dweste]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Think I'll use my mini belt hatchet to knock a bear unconscious and then use him, or her, as a raft which I'll guide with a hiking pole until the water gets too deep and then I'll use a titanium spork to paddle the rest of the way.

Or there's always the zip-line that I keep carabinered to my backpack.

#213876 - 12/29/10 10:07 PM Re: Crossing a small flooded river in winter [Re: dweste]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If the river is 50 feet across i.e about 15 metres then diving to the centre of the river in your speedos (15 feet is deep enough) should be doable from a raised embankment or platform and should get you about 30-40 feet across before resurfacing. (if you can do a pool length 25m underwater) Your gear will be rolled up in your waterproof jacket tied to your one of your feet with the paracord. You should be able to get to the other side within about 30 seconds. You can then pull your bundle across once you have made it to the other side. Dry off and get clothed again (dry clothes wrapped in the waterproof bundle) and build an emergency fire to ward off potential hypothermia.

It won't be a very pleasant swim and could be potentially dangerous and life threating resulting in grim reaper deciding its your turn, but should be doable. As always practice will help.

Broughty Ferry Dook

Edit: Make sure that you bring your knife (around you neck) with you in case you have to cut the paracord if it gets snagged and is unrecoverable.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (12/29/10 10:31 PM)

#213877 - 12/29/10 10:31 PM Re: Crossing a small flooded river in winter [Re: dweste]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Sorry, this may apply in winter in some places, but in the northern half of North America it's foolhardy at best. Immersion in ice water shuts down the human body with frightening speed.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.