Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#213781 - 12/28/10 10:39 PM Blast thought he had a good idea.
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
This morning I dug up approximately thirty pounds of greenbriar tubers...all from the same plant.

GreenbriarTuber2 by merriwether, on Flickr

I've been wanting to try preparing them as the Native Americana's did, both slow-roasting and starch removal. The N.A.'s would bury them under a large fire and bake them for three days. At this point the starch was converted to sugars which they would then chew and suck off the fibrous tuber body. I didn't have enough wood for a 3-day bonfire, but I did have a microwave...

Greenbriar tubers are very much like very fibrous potatoes and so I figured I treat it like I was baking a really big potato in the microwave. Considering the size of the tuber, 15 minutes at full power seemed like a reasonable setting. Everything seemed to be going well until around minute 12.

WHOOMP!! Suddenly the greenbriar burst into huge, leaping flames. I reacted in a split second, diving for my camera to take pictures of the burning microwave, then that annoy "reason" part of the brain kicked in and made me grab the fire extinguisher instead. A quick blast of yellow powder and the fire was out.

Of course the kitchen was filled with thick smoke. Luckily the DW and DDs weren't home so I was able to open all the doors and windows...and wash down the whole kitchen.

Surprisingly, burning greenbriar tuber smells a lot like caramel plus dark roast coffee.

When DW got home her face lite up as she walked in the door. "Someone's been cooking something yummmy! Is there any left for us?" she said and raced to the kitchen...and saw the microwave. It cleaned up pretty well but I think some of the scorch marks will be permanent. After giving her the whole story she just shook her head and sighed, "We don't have these problems when you're at work."

This started out about the size of a nice acorn squash.

Burned by merriwether, on Flickr

-Blast, who still has six more days of vacation
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#213786 - 12/28/10 11:34 PM Re: Blast thought he had a good idea. [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Well, now you know that eleven minutes in the microwave is a more suitable time. Ah, the price of progress.....

#213788 - 12/28/10 11:38 PM Re: Blast thought he had a good idea. [Re: Blast]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Moderation in all things, except Blast's cooking!!! Just remember the food is done when the smoke alarm sounds (at least that is what I tell my wife).

- Eric

#213789 - 12/29/10 12:14 AM Re: Blast thought he had a good idea. [Re: Blast]
hercdoc Offline
Journeyman

Loc: L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I really enjoy learning from other folks mistakes.

#213791 - 12/29/10 12:36 AM Re: Blast thought he had a good idea. [Re: Blast]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Blast, please consider an autopsy of the root. Is it completely carbonized? Is there a gooey, yummy center? Please relay to us both the smell and taste of several sections - for scientific reasons of course.

Edit: I understand table saws are approved tools for tough autopsies.

Edited by dweste (12/29/10 12:38 AM)

#213795 - 12/29/10 01:42 AM Re: Blast thought he had a good idea. [Re: dweste]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: dweste
Blast, please consider an autopsy of the root. Is it completely carbonized? Is there a gooey, yummy center? Please relay to us both the smell and taste of several sections - for scientific reasons of course.

Edit: I understand table saws are approved tools for tough autopsies.

It was carbon almost all the way through, though the center was still charred woody/fibrous material. It had a very pleasant smell kind of like a mixture of caramel and dark roasted coffee. My shirt still holds that smell. I'm wondering if there'd be a market for greenbriar incense. smile

The taste was charcoalish with hints of earthiness, I don't see a market for that except for people looking for a new experience with their smoker. Hmmm, note to self: send some greenbriar tubers to dad.

The remains have been added to the compost bin from which they may someday return to my plate.

-Blast, who plans on harvesting some bamboo tomorrow if the weather is good. DW already has the bandages ready.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#213800 - 12/29/10 02:34 AM Re: Blast thought he had a good idea. [Re: Blast]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
You the man!

#213809 - 12/29/10 06:06 AM Re: Blast thought he had a good idea. [Re: Blast]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
The title of this thread said it all. lol

HJ

#213810 - 12/29/10 06:25 AM Re: Blast thought he had a good idea. [Re: Blast]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Maybe you could create an Esscence of sorts,for Otherwise Petro-Stinky Charcoal!Set up a Roadside Stand:Blast's,Home of The Original Texas Caramel Coffee Burgers,Y'all Hungry Yet?:)

#213838 - 12/29/10 04:27 PM Re: Blast thought he had a good idea. [Re: Blast]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Blast..don't give up on this!!..i had a look at Wikipedia and Greenbrier,also know as smilax,has dozens of uses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.