The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#213709 - 12/27/10 08:07 PM Re: 1-1-11 adventure celebration [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Wise words that ring with the kind voice of experience!

Thanks.

#213721 - 12/28/10 01:35 AM Re: 1-1-11 adventure celebration [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Throw some Chopped Walnuts/Raisins into it,Add a Pt. of Stoli or Grey Goose,Serve in Copper-clad Snifters,Glug och Skole!

#214023 - 12/31/10 02:32 PM Re: 1-1-11 adventure celebration [Re: dweste]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
The weather forcast is clear and cold (around the freezing level) for the next couple of days. Decided to spend a couple of days at and around the Chief . There is a small walk in, tent only camping area there that will be most likely deserted this time of year.

Will be leaving in a few hours and will post some pics on my return if I can find my camera battery charger that has decided to hide somewhere...

John Lubbock

#214026 - 12/31/10 03:12 PM Re: 1-1-11 adventure celebration [Re: Teslinhiker]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
The weather forcast is clear and cold (around the freezing level) for the next couple of days. Decided to spend a couple of days at and around the Chief . There is a small walk in, tent only camping area there that will be most likely deserted this time of year.

Will be leaving in a few hours and will post some pics on my return if I can find my camera battery charger that has decided to hide somewhere...

Go dté tú slán

#214104 - 01/02/11 02:58 AM Re: 1-1-11 adventure celebration [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

A fine adventure that did not follow the script. Up and out early to meet in some low California hills west of lake Berryessa for a lesson in survival-useful rock collecting. The predicted rain looked to let up at about the time we would reach the meeting spot.

It did stop raining - because it began slowing! A little heavy, wet snow began sticking to the road when we were about 30 minutes out from the meet spot. A novelty on the side of the hillsides, then a little roadside accumulation and upper side piles on bare branches and inanimate objects, then more, and more.

Initial flow of traffic speeds in the 50's, dropped to the 40's, and then the 30's and cars began leaving long, defensive distances between themselves. We began a point-of-no-return debate and looking for a place to turn around without success as we went through the last narrow canyon.

As we neared our destination, we were driving through snow and slush with tire-created "clear lanes" in about an inch plus of sloppy wet slush and snow. Speeds in the teens to 20's became the rule as we went up and over the last small ridge.

Of course, our vehicle was a small 2-wheel drive SUV that never sees the snow, so no snow tires or chains. Both my passenger and I had lived for years back East and fancied ourselves cautious and somewhat experienced with these conditions.

We had decided to check in with our leader and turn around to drive out before much more snow, slush, ice, etcetera, accumulated. There was no cell signal even for text messages.

We arrived about 20 minutes early, the snowfall slowed to almost nothing. We waited until 15 minutes after the appointed meet up time. We drove back toward home with caution and had no driving incidents.

I did stop roadside in a low, clear valley to pick one of a bunch of large mushrooms growing just off-road. A non-edible but handsome Lactereis. We also noted spots where there were ripe Toyon berry bushes for later return.

A fine New Years' Day adventure in sunny California!

#214152 - 01/02/11 05:57 PM Re: 1-1-11 adventure celebration [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

On or drive home we also arranged to meet family and friends for a New Year's celebration lunch at a small, favorite Chinese restaurant. Just before getting to lunch we also stopped to bring New Year greetings to our favorite air- and pellet-gun rangemaster, his wife, and their dogs.

It was a good day!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 389 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.