Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#213227 - 12/17/10 10:46 AM Re: Hiking solo - Yes or No? - your thoughts [Re: Hikin_Jim]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I don't know about hiking, but I do know that snowboarding with a buddy is probably about 10 times safer than snowboarding alone. If you have a serious crash in the back country, you can have all the best equipment in the world, but a snowboarding budding is most likely going to be able to keep you alive. A buddy can go get rescuers, help you move out of powder snow if you physically can't, etc. - been there, done that, have the T-shirt.
Yeah, winter conditions really up the ante, particularly if you're in avvy country.

HJ

Agreed. I have frequently hiked/backpacked & hunted alone and continue to do so. Other activities get dramatically more dangerous solo. Travel over glaciers, cayoneering, and a number of other activities too frequently create conditions where the solo adventurer is at a HUGE disadvantage.

#213244 - 12/17/10 05:52 PM Re: Hiking solo - Yes or No? - your thoughts [Re: bsmith]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Yes yes YES a thousand times Yes.

Solo hikers have many advantages - from being able to travel at their own pace, being able to make changes to the plans on the fly and best of all they are better able to witness with stealth and quiet the various animals in the wilderness.

#213355 - 12/20/10 02:29 PM Re: Hiking solo - Yes or No? - your thoughts [Re: bsmith]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
hey, i'm back.

i have been able to read all of your posts several times.

what i take away is that hiking solo is a personal decision based on personal beliefs and on external factors.

where i hike is very different from where many of you hike.

and then we have all of you hunters who are out there by yourself in order to bring home the meat. solo, vs group hunting, wins the day in my book.

i also noticed in the thread that if not solo, then solo with a partner and then becomes solo with two partners and then higher numbers and then on to a group hike. which several posters pointed out could be counterproductive in that groups might take chances whereas a solo would not.

although i certainly see both sides of the arguments you all have put forth, for me i'm not convinced 1+ or more has an advantage over solo.

for me, i'd prefer to hike solo. but i am fortunate to have a hiking buddy who i can spend 8 - 12 hours a day with - without annoying each other or feeling like we're having to take care of each other.

thank you for all of your thoughtfullness and great ideas.

#213658 - 12/27/10 01:16 AM Re: Hiking solo - Yes or No? - your thoughts [Re: Roarmeister]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I have done most of my hiking solo (or with my beagle) but it is not 100 miles from nowhere, or on trails that are especially difficult. I am more concerned about getting her out if she gets hurt.

Most cases if I had a major problem there is cell phone coverage where I hike, although sometimes it is spotty.

I guess I never really thought about it much. I think it is more dangerous walking around in my neighborhood on our morning walks these days. Everything is icy and snow covered, and where there are sidewalks, they are often not cleared of snow and I end up having to walk on the street.

At 5:30am there is not that much traffic but I am not sure just how alert people are to pedestrians.

Bob

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.