Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#213542 - 12/23/10 10:11 AM Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? [Re: Fabio]
WILD_WEASEL Offline

Loc: Afghanistan
My Altoids Tin Kit rides in the cargo pocket of my 5.11 pants.

Cheers,
George

#213547 - 12/23/10 02:40 PM Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? [Re: Fabio]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Dweste... I guess I don't distinguish EDC vs PSK vs GHB...I'm retired so wear pants with cargo pockets most of the time... I built my "kit" around the Vic Farmer because of the saw and awl...always carried a folder in my pocket even at school, and P38 and light on key ring...I pirated the PSK stuff from a AMK but had problem carrying the mirror... also wanted some way to transport and purify water for a 24hr period...the heavy duty zip pouch solved both problems and allowed for some additional flat storage for medical supplies... the heavier stuff like the offset screwdriver and Farmer easily went in a multitool pouch with room for the miniBic and others and weighs less than a multitool... the PS4 was recently added, and I use it and the hat clip light daily

I guess the belt pouch and zip pouch would constitute a PSK, and the other stuff is used daily (EDC) just convenient for me to split them up... regards

#213549 - 12/23/10 02:58 PM Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? [Re: Fabio]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Somebody suggested a vacuum sealed pack. I definitely would not do that. When traveling, there are numerous not-quite-emergencies, and my survival pack is oftentimes the only thing on me. I'm not going to refuse to open a vacuum sealed kit just because the problem is not quite an emergency. The kit wouldn't stay vacuum sealed for too long. For this and other reasons, I don't use vacuum sealed kits. I'll use them for food storage though.

#213550 - 12/23/10 03:16 PM Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? [Re: LesSnyder]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
Dweste... I guess I don't distinguish EDC vs PSK vs GHB...I guess the belt pouch and zip pouch would constitute a PSK, and the other stuff is used daily (EDC) just convenient for me to split them up... regards

Got it!

Always interesting to see how folks think about their stuff.

#213560 - 12/23/10 05:44 PM Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? [Re: Fabio]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Fabio

Hello all,

I´m preparing for a trip to Chile next January. I'm going to do a 5 day trek, a 4 day sea kayak trip and a volcano Climb. The problem is, how to carry my PSK in these activities?
I have a Doug's PSP in a hard case. It is a little too big to the pockets of my hiking pants. The backpack waist band prevent anything attached around my waist. a jacket pocket isn't a good alternative, because I expect to be changing insulation layers frequently.
So, what do do? Strip or divide the contents of the PSP to store well in my pants' pockets? Attach a pouch to my backpack with a quick release device? Or just keep it inside the backpack my current preferred method... ).
In this trip I will try a modified fishing vest to use over the base clothing layer, but I don't know if it will be comfortable.
I'm curious to know how you carry your PSKs while backpacking!
Best regards,
Fabio

I think you're idea of breaking it up into multiple pieces is your best best. I have a PSK and FAK that each weigh about 4-4.5 oz which I can stash in the legs of cargo pants. But normally, I carry a daypack or a detachable portion of a backpack that I can store the relevant items in. While kayaking, keep the size down and stash in your PFD vest and cargo pockets. My point is - if you keep you kit down to smaller modules you have more options to store those items on your person.

#213562 - 12/23/10 06:42 PM Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? [Re: Fabio]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
What are people's experience with a vest in a hot climate? I wish I could do the vest option in a hot environment, but I sweat way too much. The vest will have a strong stench by the second day. Also, note that while you're kayaking, you will (or should) be wearing a life vest. A vest underneath the life vest may be uncomfortable.

#213563 - 12/23/10 09:08 PM Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? [Re: ireckon]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
After some experimentation, I found that the Doug Ritter PSK rides quite well in my cargo pocket on my left thigh. If this will work or not will depend on your personal preferences and the exact configuration of that particular pocket on your particular body.

If this doesn't work out for you I would try splitting the contents among the various pockets, keeping everything as flat as possible.

The most comfortable spot is no doubt the upper front pocket of my goretex anorak, but that isn't always on me, and it needs to be removed every time I change the number of layers. And it's nice to free that pocket for other stuff. But if you know for (almost) certain that this particular jacket will be used whenever you are actively doing some activity (and only removed to adjust during periods of inactivity) then this may be a good trade-off.

For me, a west will be nothing but cumbersome. I have enough garments to meddle with as it is.

You could also consider a pouch around your neck, possibly with a sling under one arm (such as concealed gun holster). Wear it on top of whatever garment you won't remove during the day, and positioned exactly where your backpack straps aren't.

#213567 - 12/23/10 10:25 PM Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? [Re: ireckon]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Military giys and gals wear load bearing vests all the time in hot climate.Give it a few dunks in a lake or stream and call it good.You should check out a RIBZ VEST,as it was designed to wear with a pack.IZZY on this forum did a great review of it.I don't have one but want one.....badly.....

BOATMAN
John

#213568 - 12/23/10 10:27 PM Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? [Re: Fabio]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

For every-day-carry I got away from carrying a kit, as such. Given the area is suburban/rural not wilderness there isn't a huge call for an extensive kit.

Instead I distribute through my pockets a few items that have proved consistently useful like a small lighter, multi-tool, small hank of line, etcetera.

I have more stuff in the truck. And more still at home.

#213572 - 12/24/10 12:19 AM Re: Best way to carry a PSK in your person? [Re: Frisket]
MichaelJ07 Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: Frisket
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Originally Posted By: ireckon

For organization of the survival items, I used one or two dice bags from here:
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_supplies.php?viewType=Dice%20Bags&info1=Dice&info2=Bag

Cool link! I put in my favorites, but not my survival gear faves- I could use them for dice! I've got about 350 dice of various types (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, d30 & d100)...can anyone guess what for? grin

Making Tough Survival decisions in the wild?

Making Tough Survival decisions in the wild?
OMG! I fell outta my chair on that one!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.