The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#213505 - 12/22/10 09:07 PM Dogs Vs. chickens
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
So...some dogs - a pit bull and a small german shepherd - just came into my yard and killed most of my chickens! The dogs had tags, but my wife (I am not home) wasn't willing to approach them, even though they seemed "friendly". The dogs are gone now, but I'm not sure if i should advise my wife to:

A) shoot the dogs on sight if they come back
B) call the cops to complain and file a report
C) drive around and try to find the owners and tell them to pay up for my hens
D) all of the above

Hmmmm

#213507 - 12/22/10 09:30 PM Re: Dogs Vs. chickens [Re: MartinFocazio]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
In addition to your above list, I would contact Animal Control. Also, it is possible that through the County Comptroller’s Office, you are entitled to some form of compensation. Many years ago I raised rabbits for food, a pack of dogs killed all but one of my rabbits and the county partially compensated me for the loss of food/live stock. In some areas, owners of large animals (cattle, sheep, etc.) or other small animals (chickens, rabbits) that are raised for food can compensated if their livestock are killed by free roaming dogs.

Pete

#213510 - 12/22/10 09:56 PM Re: Dogs Vs. chickens [Re: MartinFocazio]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
So...some dogs - a pit bull and a small german shepherd - just came into my yard and killed most of my chickens! The dogs had tags, but my wife (I am not home) wasn't willing to approach them, even though they seemed "friendly". The dogs are gone now, but I'm not sure if i should advise my wife to:

A) shoot the dogs on sight if they come back

probably illegal - discharge of a firearm w/i city limits

B) call the cops to complain and file a report

yep. get it documented. maybe there are others who have had the same experience with the same animals.

C) drive around and try to find the owners and tell them to pay up for my hens

confrontations may have unintended consequences. as well as personal safety issues.

unsettling to say the least.

good luck.

#213511 - 12/22/10 10:03 PM Re: Dogs Vs. chickens [Re: MartinFocazio]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

My first order response would be to shoot them.

But people get irrational about pets and don't often seem to be able to maintain a handle on a need to control their pets or lose them. When it comes to a dog getting shot it is, for them, property and how dare you 'take' their property. But when it comes to responsibility, owners being responsible for what their property does, they turn around and claim the dogs are not property and have free will. Dogs get to be property or independent actors. Which one being determined after the fact according to whichever is easiest for the owner.

Of course once you shoot the dog/s they immediately become the bestest dogs ever. Canine saints they were. Never hurt anyone or anything. Even if the day before the owner was bragging about how viscous they are and how they tear up people and other animals. It all changes once they are dead.

If you do shoot them the best bet is to quickly bury them, clean the gun, and claim ignorance when they come around asking about their lost dog/s.

#213512 - 12/22/10 10:57 PM Re: Dogs Vs. chickens [Re: MartinFocazio]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

B, C and shoot video and sue the owners in small claims court if they don't fully compensate you.

Shooting the dogs could escalate the situation, for a long time to come.

#213515 - 12/22/10 11:45 PM Re: Dogs Vs. chickens [Re: MartinFocazio]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
The non-confrontational way is SSS: Shoot, Shovel and Shut up.

Most areas (esp rural areas) have laws that say any hunter or homeowner or farmer can shoot on sight any predator that is chasing/harassing/killing wildlife, livestock or family pets. The killer-dog owner usually doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.

Talk to your local law enforcement and get some advice.

Ask around to see who the dogs might belong to.

Take photographs and date them.

Teach your wife how to shoot.

Sue

#213519 - 12/23/10 02:29 AM Re: Dogs Vs. chickens [Re: Susan]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
There's also A few of- What If's Too! What if my Son/Wife tried to Intervene the Attack,& the Dogs had the Upper-Hand?What if I set a Trap with a Few Chickens,Get it on Camera,& Shoot the Perps.!You live in a Rural enough area to Boil Maple sugar,You are Fairly Well-Known for Your Neighborhood Participations of Emergency Response,Volunteer Fire Dept Member,NRA-Member?I would have a Talk with the Local Constable,before any Action! Lawsuits are the Very last resort,unless you plan on moving Thereafter!

#213524 - 12/23/10 02:52 AM Re: Dogs Vs. chickens [Re: bsmith]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Not only is discharge of firearms perfectly legal here, it's commonplace. I live tucked into state game lands, i have a small rifle range in my back yard. I don't think there's a single day you won't hear some gunfire around here.

We have no police department, only state police. They couldn't care less about my chickens.

#213525 - 12/23/10 02:54 AM Re: Dogs Vs. chickens [Re: Susan]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan

Teach your wife how to shoot.

Sue

No worries there. She has her own shotgun.

#213526 - 12/23/10 02:57 AM Re: Dogs Vs. chickens [Re: Richlacal]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Hmmm...

I thank everyone for the points. I think I'll be able to take care if this in a way that works out OK. Glad i don't actually need the chicken for my income.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.