Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#213479 - 12/22/10 03:00 PM It Never Rains in So-Cal?
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

How are our Californians doing in the rain onslaught?

Any of you in mudslide peril?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pyC7WnvLT4

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/con...d=moreheadlines

#213481 - 12/22/10 03:32 PM Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? [Re: Dagny]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
SoCal getting hit hardest so far. Here in the central part of Superior California things wet but okay so far. Lots of welcome wet snow in the Sierras will provide water to fight over in 2011.

#213487 - 12/22/10 03:52 PM Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The forecast calls for possible waterspouts and tornadoes. Now that is just plain wrong. The contract I signed said I would be exposed to earthquakes, but tornadoes belonged in Kansas.

Actually, Ts are recorded very occasionally from SoCal, but they are pretty wimpy, not in the same class as a good righteous midwest twister.....

#213495 - 12/22/10 06:27 PM Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? [Re: Dagny]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
No mudslides here. The terra is staying firma. Mission Valley is inundated as usual, but I haven't had any problems. The worst I've run into is the storm took out a couple of traffic lights.

I remember going through tornados and waterspounts here years ago. They redistributed some roofs out near Mission Trails Regional Park, but nothing catastrophic. I think even the trailer parks survived.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#213502 - 12/22/10 08:09 PM Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? [Re: Dagny]
horizonseeker Offline
Journeyman

traffic light outage, freeway blockage, road closure-age, all the norm when we get a deluge like this.

commute is not fun but tolerable if just for the fact that the heat wave is over (at least for me).

sure would be nice to get it over with around the end of the year though, days off is no fun when the rain is pouring and you have to drive out for gatherings.

#213506 - 12/22/10 09:11 PM Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Went for a nice non-optional drive this AM, saw a couple accidents, no fatalities, just folks losing their grip of the road and ending up on the shoulder pointed the wrong direction -- doh!! Not to mean there were no fatalities, but the accidents I saw were relatively minor . . .

A little more rain today and tonight -- clearing tomorrow. .

#213508 - 12/22/10 09:35 PM Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? [Re: Dagny]
NorCalDennis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sierra Foothills, Nor Cal
California has four seasons: Flood, Mud, Fire, and Earthquake - you get used to it after a while.

In my neck of the nuthouse we had a lot of rain with high winds. We had some roofing material blow off one of our animal shelters, but no real damage.

#213514 - 12/22/10 11:41 PM Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? [Re: NorCalDennis]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: NorCalDennis
California has four seasons: Flood, Mud, Fire, and Earthquake - you get used to it after a while.

we used to call it "landslide" instead of mud, but you've got better rhyming.

Typically in that order too. Rain causes mudslide, causes crazy plant growth, leading to fire next fall. Earthquake liberally randomly.

Have they showed the idiot in a storm drain on the TV news yet? Seems to happen with every good storm.

#213517 - 12/23/10 01:42 AM Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? [Re: MDinana]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Funny You should mention the Idiot in the Stormdrain!2 days ago,The police found a Mini-Van in Ballona Creek,Upside down,It had 4 occupants inside!I live about 300yds from the creek,There were 4 Choppers hovering over the AO,None were News/Media related,2 were Black-Kiowas,1 Red CoastGuard-Chinook,1 Blue/White-loach police,A whole Company of LAFD,Assorted Fire Vehicles,& A Grip of Black n'Whites,the AO was Cordoned off,with Sheriff deputies in Flakvests,& Shotguns!All this stuff,& it didn't even make the Local Newspaper!Yesterday,the LAFD made a rescue Not 50 yds, from where the Mini Van was found& again nothing in The News ,Whatsoever!The Ballona Creek is a Huge Concrete Channel with aprox.10% Grade,When it Rains in LA,It becomes a Class-4 Rapids of Brown Sludge,that make it's way to The Great Pacific!All that aside,No sight of Tornadic Activity,So far,plenty of trees down though!

#213541 - 12/23/10 10:04 AM Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? [Re: Richlacal]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Funny You should mention the Idiot in the Stormdrain!2 days ago,The police found a Mini-Van in Ballona Creek,Upside down,It had 4 occupants inside!I live about 300yds from the creek,There were 4 Choppers hovering over the AO,None were News/Media related,2 were Black-Kiowas,1 Red CoastGuard-Chinook,1 Blue/White-loach police,A whole Company of LAFD,Assorted Fire Vehicles,& A Grip of Black n'Whites,the AO was Cordoned off,with Sheriff deputies in Flakvests,& Shotguns!All this stuff,& it didn't even make the Local Newspaper!Yesterday,the LAFD made a rescue Not 50 yds, from where the Mini Van was found& again nothing in The News ,Whatsoever!The Ballona Creek is a Huge Concrete Channel with aprox.10% Grade,When it Rains in LA,It becomes a Class-4 Rapids of Brown Sludge,that make it's way to The Great Pacific!All that aside,No sight of Tornadic Activity,So far,plenty of trees down though!

Rich, you know as well as I do that ALL creeks and rivers in SoCal are concrete channels! wink

#213546 - 12/23/10 02:01 PM Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? [Re: MDinana]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
new skate park up in ojai, dedicated two months ago:

http://www.ojaipost.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/skatepark-wet.jpg

yep, that's the handrail going down.

unclogged the drain and all is well.

#213552 - 12/23/10 03:57 PM Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? [Re: bsmith]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Ojai will be the world center for underwater skateboarding....

#213592 - 12/24/10 07:57 PM Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? [Re: hikermor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Ojai will be the world center for underwater skateboarding....

You do realize that somebody is going to try it....

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#213614 - 12/25/10 04:04 AM Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? [Re: bsmith]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
There's a skateboard park in Olympia, WA, that always looks like that in winter. Isn't that how they're supposed to look???

Sue

#213670 - 12/27/10 02:42 AM Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? [Re: Dagny]
sotto Offline
Addict

I have a new garage addition onto the house, with a large studio space above and alongside. Fortunately, the builders are still here and finishing up, cuz this deluge turned up two substantial leaks, and some of the maple flooring got wet and buckled. They're fixing things. So glad it didn't happen a month after I'd signed off on everything and they'd left.

#214053 - 12/31/10 10:47 PM Re: It Never Rains in So-Cal? [Re: Dagny]
HanzoSteel Offline
Stranger

Loc: Woodland Hills, Ca.
This video may be more fitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKKdrpKzKWM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.