Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#213561 - 12/23/10 06:14 PM Re: MRE Storage [Re: MartinFocazio]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
I just swapped out my MRE supply. It's a 7 day supply, not too bulky. I rotate them on 36 month basis and I've decided I want to up the cycle time to at least 48 months, if not 60 months. Cooler storage = more shelf life. I know that.

Here's the problem. I really don't have a "cool dry place" to store them. My woodstove is in the basement, which is wonderful, but the basement is 75+ degrees all winter long. My attic is cool and dry in the winter, but an inferno in the summer (130+ degrees). My garage is too hot and too cold no matter what time of year. I don't really want to spend the time hauling from place to place, I have a small house and allocating space is a big issue.

We are seriously thinking of digging a "root closet" directly out from my basement under the garage slab (garage is attached) - but I'm wondering if I'm missing some obvious ideas here. Can't involve electricity.

Way back in the late '70s, my Christian Service Brigade leader took us on camping trips where we used dairy milk cans buried in the ground in the shade. In the middle of summer, the butter and milk stored quite well. You could consider something similar like a large ammo can (think mortar shell cans). MREs are wrapped in heavy plastic in the first place so moisture conditions shouldn't be much a problem. You could bury this under a exterior stair perhaps or create a buried box in the shade someplace. Then cover the hole with a plywood cover and a chunk of sod to conceal it.

#213585 - 12/24/10 03:09 PM Re: MRE Storage [Re: MartinFocazio]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/mre-shelf-life.html

My favorite reference site for MREs smile

Rule of thumb: if the outer package is not "bloated" it's generally OK to eat smile

#213588 - 12/24/10 04:10 PM Re: MRE Storage [Re: MartinFocazio]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I just swapped out my MRE supply. It's a 7 day supply, not too bulky. I rotate them on 36 month basis and I've decided I want to up the cycle time to at least 48 months, if not 60 months. Cooler storage = more shelf life. I know that.

Here's the problem. I really don't have a "cool dry place" to store them. My woodstove is in the basement, which is wonderful, but the basement is 75+ degrees all winter long. My attic is cool and dry in the winter, but an inferno in the summer (130+ degrees). My garage is too hot and too cold no matter what time of year. I don't really want to spend the time hauling from place to place, I have a small house and allocating space is a big issue.

We are seriously thinking of digging a "root closet" directly out from my basement under the garage slab (garage is attached) - but I'm wondering if I'm missing some obvious ideas here. Can't involve electricity.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...-Africans.html#

Dig a hole in the ground say 4' by 4' wide and deep enough to accommodate a number of stainless steel diary churns, line with a concrete floor and building brick. Place the diary churns with MREs into the void and insulate with fibre glass roof insulation between the diary churns then cover with a water proof roof with holes cut out to take the modified evaporative coolers shown in the design above which are welded with the diary churn lids. Arrange for a solar/battery powered electronic temperature control water drip feed system to be operational during the summer months. The water supply could either be a water roof run off/tank system backed up by a mains water supply.

This system should maintain around 6C or below all year round.

#213626 - 12/25/10 11:48 PM Re: MRE Storage [Re: MartinFocazio]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Why not buy a late model scratch and dent refrigerator and store the MREs in there at 60 degrees or the highest temp setting?

#213639 - 12/26/10 04:10 PM Re: MRE Storage [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Why not buy a late model scratch and dent refrigerator and store the MREs in there at 60 degrees or the highest temp setting?

I think that this is worth considering, the power used will be very small, and short term power cuts of no consequence.
If the power goes off long term, then the MREs will still keep for years, but not for as many years as if not temperature controlled.
Tinned foods also keep better at a low and steady temperature, such as a fridge set to the highest temperature.

Edited by adam2 (12/26/10 04:11 PM)

#214630 - 01/09/11 06:10 PM Re: MRE Storage [Re: MartinFocazio]
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Martin,

If you store anything, especially food near oil or other petroleum storage vessels, keep in mind that some smells will transfer through plastic.

Also there is the almost inevetible hydrocarbon drip /spill / slosh factor that Mr. Murphy will happily toss over your edibles.

Regards,
Comanche7

#215015 - 01/16/11 04:10 AM Re: MRE Storage [Re: Comanche7]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Comanche7
If you store anything, especially food near oil or other petroleum storage vessels, keep in mind that some smells will transfer through plastic.

That's a good point. For most situations, I would agree, however, I'm curious if this is true for Martin's MRE's? The metallic layer of the retort pouch is supposed to be gas impermeable, which is primarily why it's there (and why you can't microwave the pouches).

Anyone ever eat an MRE that smelled or tasted like gasoline, diesel, etc.?

#215018 - 01/16/11 05:52 AM Re: MRE Storage [Re: Arney]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I've never had an MRE that tasted like any type of Fuel,Though I've had some that,If I had Taken more than the,Few bite's that I did,I felt I'd become Violently Ill! I had to eat MRE's for Months,So knowing what to mix with them,Can make Life Much better! Toothpaste & Alka Seltzer with a bit of water,Usually Got rid of The Slime!The Slime is on the roof of your mouth,after eating them!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (brandtb), 240 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.