Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#213258 - 12/17/10 11:13 PM Re: Latest US Government advice on surviving nukes [Re: Russ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Russ
Don't confuse surviving a (singular) nuke with surviving nukes (plural) as in nuclear war . . very big difference.

An excellent point. I was discussing this with some friends at work, and these former air force (US and Can) members were talking about the kind of destruction you get in a strategic yeild airbust.

OK, in fairness, a low airburst would be easy- put it in a light aircraft, take it up to 10K feet, and pull the pin. But we'd be most likely looking at a tactical device or a small strategic device, maybe 25kt. Yes, that is the class that ruined large parts of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but in a ground burst a very significant portion of the blast and radiation effects are going to get soaked by the terrain. Sure, set off a FatMan in Central Park and you'll probably break windows in Brooklyn and maybe have a few small fires from the thermal pulse, but you are in a much greater danger from the fall out. (Brooklyn- spark plug sized fallout?) That's where the FEMA duct tape and drop cloths will come in handy. Hopefully.

If people shelter in place, (a) they aren't clogging the streets, (b) limiting exposure, and (c) probably staying put long enough for the radiation levels to drop to the point that it fairly survivable.

Of course, I expect them to panic.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#213268 - 12/18/10 02:51 AM Re: Latest US Government advice on surviving nukes [Re: Brangdon]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

We'd see how much people trust the government and its assurances that they should shelter in place.

By the way, how much does a Geiger counter cost?

#213269 - 12/18/10 03:03 AM Re: Latest US Government advice on surviving nukes [Re: Dagny]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Dagny,

Terrorist wise, a geiger counter would mean exposing yourself to take readings.

In a WW III scenario, given your location, I do not think you will be needing one.

Sorry, I deal in the truth.

RIP OBG

#213277 - 12/18/10 08:51 AM Re: Latest US Government advice on surviving nukes [Re: Brangdon]
LED Offline
Veteran

Keep in mind that although the affected area would be relatively limited in scope, the panic stricken response of the populace and government could be quite problematic and would affect everyone. Martial law, grocery stores stripped/looted, long lines for gas, price gouging, etc. Not to mention the affect on worldwide commerce, travel, equity markets, etc. In a word, a giant sh!t sandwich. Lets seriously hope nothing like this ever happens.

#213279 - 12/18/10 10:53 AM Re: Latest US Government advice on surviving nukes [Re: Desperado]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Dagny,

Terrorist wise, a geiger counter would mean exposing yourself to take readings.

In a WW III scenario, given your location, I do not think you will be needing one.

Sorry, I deal in the truth.

WWIII -- you're right, I certainly would not be needing a Geiger. Would be part of the mushroom cloud(s).

Probably won't be needing one in the 10 kiloton single terrorist nuke scenario, either. But if I were home sick that day, and in the basement when it happened....

I don't suppose weather.com has the kind of info. And my cable Internet would probably be a bit slow.... or gone.

#213282 - 12/18/10 12:33 PM Re: Latest US Government advice on surviving nukes [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
You can probably find a Geiger counter on eBay . .

wow, look at that Geiger Counter & Survey Meter CDV-777 Radiation Kit cool

Every well equipped bomb shelter needs two . . what do you take for EDC? wink

#213292 - 12/18/10 06:27 PM Re: Latest US Government advice on surviving nukes [Re: Dagny]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

#213301 - 12/19/10 12:26 AM Re: Latest US Government advice on surviving nukes [Re: Russ]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I don't think the forum software allows merging of threads, so cross-referencing threads:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=21317

#213303 - 12/19/10 01:35 AM Re: Latest US Government advice on surviving nukes [Re: Dagny]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Dagny
By the way, how much does a Geiger counter cost?

I think a solid state dosimeter would be more useful, particularly if it had a current and a log mode, assuming it survived the EM pulse. They are smaller, similar in price (I've seen both starting about $350) and I know geiger need to be recalibrate regularly.

A scintillator might work, but I only know of them from theory- I have now idea how big they have to be to be effective. Apparently they glow when hit by ionizing radiation. If it is being all pretty and sparkly, you need to be going someplace else. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#213304 - 12/19/10 01:55 AM Re: Latest US Government advice on surviving nukes [Re: Brangdon]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

IMO a dirty bomb is by far the more likely danger. But either way, if such things seem likely enough to be a realistic concern, you might want to keep something like this handy:

http://www.nukalert.com/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.