Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#213243 - 12/17/10 05:39 PM Re: Range Trauma Kit - Need Some Help. [Re: paramedicpete]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
A couple of things with occlusive dressings:

Keep the occlusive dressing just slightly larger than the wound. If the occlusive dressing is too large, you essentially create a secondary pleural space.

This wasn't mentioned in our class but makes perfect sense to me.

Quote:
Check for exit wounds. If found, apply an occlusive dressing to any additional sites.

We covered this well, although the CERT first aid module did a better job of teaching us to assess the patient.

Quote:
Try to apply and seal the occlusive dressing when the patient exhales.

We weren't taught this but it now seems obvious.

Quote:
If possible transport with the injured side down, but monitor patient’s condition constantly.

This was covered.

Quote:
If the patient complains of an increase in difficultly to breath, a decrease in the level of conscious and/or distension (enlargement/engorgement) of the jugular veins (large veins in the neck), you may have “burp” the occlusive dressing to relive trapped air and/or blood.

We were taught to use three sides of tape or a pre-made occlusive dressing, but this makes perfect sense to me.

#213252 - 12/17/10 08:17 PM Re: Range Trauma Kit - Need Some Help. [Re: chaosmagnet]
Murph Offline
Stranger

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: Murph
Nice run down ChaosMagnet. I think there are two things worth highlighting in your post. The first is you listed out the instructor's "favorites." In my experience, it seems like every instructor has their own. So it goes without saying that students' preferences might differ too. It's always good to see what your options are, and see if something works better for you. Which comes to my second part, make sure you get training / practice using the stuff you have. smile

Are you sure you weren't in my class :-) ? Our instructor said this to us almost word-for-word. For myself, I agree wholeheartedly.

Nah, I just know the drill. smile

#213309 - 12/19/10 03:11 AM Re: Range Trauma Kit - Need Some Help. [Re: cliff]
WILD_WEASEL Offline

Loc: Afghanistan
All,

Being a civilian contractor in Afghanistan I am not allowed to carry a weapon, so having a well stocked kit and good training (Combat Life Saver, CPR for the Professional, and EMT-B course taken in country) gives me something to bring to the party. Still tinkering with the contents trying to fit in a CPR pocket mask. This bag, as its name implies, is for the first 5 or 10 minutes of an emergency until the real medics or EMS arrives. Everybody have a great Christmas!

Cheers,
W-W

Tactical Tailor First Responder Bag (CLOSED)

Tactical Tailor First Responder Bag (OPEN)

Contents of Tactical Tailor Bag

x1 SAM Splint
6” Elastic Bandage
x1 Israeli Abdominal Combat Dressing
x2 6” Israeli Combat Dressing
X2 HyFin Chest Seals
X2 Vaseline Gauze
x2 Compressed Gauze
x2 Combat Gauze
x2 CAT Tourniquets
3” Roll of Tape
x3 Triangular Dressings
x5 Nitrile Gloves (in top pocket)
x1 Nasal Pharyngeal Airway 28 FR with surgical lube
x2 14 GA Thorax Decompression Catheters
x6 Alcohol Pads
x2 Eye Shields

#213314 - 12/19/10 04:50 AM Re: Range Trauma Kit - Need Some Help. [Re: WILD_WEASEL]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Glad to see you are Handling things,Despite the Restrictions!In lieu of a frag in the bag,May I suggest, a Couple Shooter bottles of Jagermeister,Might be in Good order,If obtainable! I Bid you a Most Decent as Possible-Merry Christmas & New Year!& As it should be,Thanx for Being There!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.