Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#213029 - 12/14/10 07:38 PM Re: Creating heat inside a stuck vehicle [Re: dougwalkabout]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
This thread is amazingly timely, isn't it!

The big storm around the Great Lakes has hit your Canadian neighbours pretty hard too. Quite a mess.

Around 300 people have been trapped in their cars in Ontario for 24 hours and counting. Here's a story with a bit of detail on how people are coping.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nati...#articlecontent

That is an interesting article, Doug, thanks:

"He keeps his SUV stocked with a shovel and candles and still had three-quarters of a tank of gas Tuesday morning. He had brought along some spaghetti and peaches, which he ate on Monday, and he and the trucker had oatmeal and pears for breakfast on Tuesday. And since he spends weekdays in London, he had a bag of clothes – and a parka.

"...Motorists were also encouraged to stay in their vehicles and consider pooling resources until rescuers get to them."

#213034 - 12/14/10 08:36 PM Re: Creating heat inside a stuck vehicle [Re: dweste]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> Doesn't the MRE FRHs use a Magnesium reaction liberating Hydrogen gas.

Yep. I've used HeaterMeals brand food for years, indoors and out, with their self-heating saltwater/magnesium combos. I wouldn't want to say the meal would be _hot_ if the ambient temperature is freezing or less, but you might get a warm meal out of it.

The boxes do say they aren't allowed on planes, but then my tube of toothpaste isn't allowed on, either.

#213100 - 12/15/10 05:57 PM Re: Creating heat inside a stuck vehicle [Re: dweste]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
has anyone tried an old fashoned Dietz lantern?... even with its glass globe they are pretty rugged and simple....light as well as heat...fashon a simple pot stand on top... could be carried empty and filled from sealed lamp oil (liquid paraffin) bottles...

#213101 - 12/15/10 07:03 PM Re: Creating heat inside a stuck vehicle [Re: dweste]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I think a Dietz lantern would work quite well. Certainly safer than an open pot of liquid fuel. I have several, and even used 2-3 of them one year to protect my tomatoes from a surprise frost. They put out a surprising amount of heat.

In my part of the world, liquid paraffin is a tricky proposition. It's less smelly, true, which would be more pleasant in a vehicle; but it also turns into a semi-solid as the temperature drops, which would be a major problem. Kerosene doesn't have this problem.

Hmm, outside my window it's -12C with a howling wind and blowing snow (semi-whiteout conditions), and a wind chill of -22C. And I have an old car parked in the middle of my yard, half buried in the snow, and I could just throw in a thermometer and do some field tests with candles and lanterns ... whistle

#213112 - 12/15/10 09:56 PM Re: Creating heat inside a stuck vehicle [Re: dougwalkabout]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Hmm, outside my window it's -12C with a howling wind and blowing snow (semi-whiteout conditions), and a wind chill of -22C. And I have an old car parked in the middle of my yard, half buried in the snow, and I could just throw in a thermometer and do some field tests with candles and lanterns ... whistle
Go, Doug, go!

Thanks for the article about all the people stuck in their vehicles in the snow. Nothing like reality to bring home the importance of some of what is discussed here.

I will never forget coming across a family stuck in a broken down old car at perhaps 7000' elevation in the local mountains one snowy November. I was wearing a big down jacket, and I was cold. They were all wearing shorts, T shirts, and flip flops. I drove into town and called a tow truck for them. It was late in the day and driving conditions were bad. Very few people were out that day. I'm so glad I happened along at that moment.

HJ

#213118 - 12/15/10 11:37 PM Re: Creating heat inside a stuck vehicle [Re: dougwalkabout]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Isn't liquid paraffin another term for kerosene?

Edit: Nope Liquid Paraffin is another term for mineral oil . .
Quote:
. . .Fire performance

Mineral oil is a fuel used by professional firespinners and firebreathers. It is chosen for its high flashpoint and low burning temperature. As a firebreathing fuel it is ideal because it will not tend to burn as a liquid, due to the high flashpoint, thus preventing blowback. However, due to the risk of aspiration of mineral oil and resulting lung damage, this use is considered a health hazard and discouraged.. . .

Edited by Russ (12/15/10 11:42 PM)

#213119 - 12/16/10 12:06 AM Re: Creating heat inside a stuck vehicle [Re: Russ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Russ
Isn't liquid paraffin another term for kerosene?

Edit: Nope Liquid Paraffin is another term for mineral oil . .
Quote:
. . .Fire performance

Mineral oil is a fuel used by professional firespinners and firebreathers. It is chosen for its high flashpoint and low burning temperature. As a firebreathing fuel it is ideal because it will not tend to burn as a liquid, due to the high flashpoint, thus preventing blowback. However, due to the risk of aspiration of mineral oil and resulting lung damage, this use is considered a health hazard and discouraged.. . .
Depends on where in the world you are. Paraffin in Great Britain refers to the higher grade of kerosene, what we would call K-1 kerosene here. See also http://fuel.papo-art.com/

HJ

#213120 - 12/16/10 01:17 AM Re: Creating heat inside a stuck vehicle [Re: dweste]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

seems like a wick lantern would be a good multi fuel choice... kerosine, diesel, cooking oil, motor oil, lamp oil... why I mentioned liquid paraffin, that is what the lamp oil I happen to have is composed of... doesn't seem to evaporate in the old fashoned desk lamps that have visible reservoirs...if it ever gets to -12C in Florida I'm filing a class action lawsuit over global warming.

#213123 - 12/16/10 01:49 AM Re: Creating heat inside a stuck vehicle [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Global climate change got mis-labeled due to early focus and research on warming of the polar regions. Overall the ecosystem has warmed but local effects vary.

#213129 - 12/16/10 02:45 AM Re: Creating heat inside a stuck vehicle [Re: dweste]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

that was a humble attempt at humor

Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.