The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#212567 - 12/07/10 04:39 AM Re: I need some electronics advise. [Re: Blast]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
You might want to consider a more dedicated data acquisition setup like those mentioned above but I'm not sure how you would get started for under your $250 price point without putting in some time in developing input circuits and figuring out how to process the results. Ultimately a low end USB data acquisition system will be much more flexible since it will provide you with at least 4 input channels (typically +/- 10 V) vs. the one to two channels on a DMM. If you are interested I'll dig around some info I have a work.

Sticking with the multimeter approach you should be able to find a capable setup for under your price point. I don't have any direct experience with any of the brands in this price range but I think Greenlee would be a good place to start since they offer calibrated units in addition to standard units. It looks like the DM-510 or 210 would meet your needs and leave you enough to buy the USB adapter kit.

There are a lot of other brands out there, including some found on the multimeter warehouse links others have referenced. After scanning through these and checking out some other web sources it looks to me like this is a good example of you get what you pay for. Several of these meters look like (and the manuals read very similar to) meters offered by more well known (or maybe just more expensive) brands. Reviews for these meters indicate that when they work, they work well enough but there seem to be occasional quality or performance issues.

Best advice is stick to brands/stores you are comfortable with or those that are recommended by people you know and trust. Realistically that means my recommendation above is suspect since I have never used GreenLee products smile.

I have no affiliation with any of these brands beyond being a regular user calibrated meters and equipment used in testing critical systems.

Good luck,

-Eric

#212577 - 12/07/10 01:28 PM Re: I need some electronics advise. [Re: thseng]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: thseng
Google "USB Data Acquisition"

These guys look promising:
http://www.dataq.com/data-acquisition-starter-kits/data-acquisition-starter-kits.htm

or

http://www.mccdaq.com/solutions/USB-Data-Acquisition.aspx

We use a bunch of these at work:
http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=OMB-DAQ55&Nav=dasc01

I'd get one that also accepts thermocouple inputs. You'll wonder how you did a lab test without it. Then again, I'm an ice machine engineer.

By the way, you want a "load cell" to measure the press force.
http://www.omega.com/toc_asp/subsectionSC.asp?subsection=F03&book=Pressure

Standard disclaimer.

Tom, that's exactly the system we have hooked up to other equipment. Unfotunately, the tech-wiz who set it all up died in a motorcycle crash several months ago. frown While my boss tapped me to be the new tech-wiz, he doesn't want me to waste time learning how to set up the Omega systems, he just wants me to do cheap plug-and-play stuff. On the plus side, I may talk him into getting the huge Lego Mindstorm robotics kit for that reason. grin

-Blast

p.s. If this actually works, some day buildings and bridges will be built out of Blastcrete rather than concrete. laugh
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#212667 - 12/08/10 02:42 PM Re: I need some electronics advise. [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks everyone. The purchase order has been for this one:
http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/VA18Bf.htm

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#212977 - 12/13/10 10:57 PM Re: I need some electronics advice. IT LIVES!!! [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Thought you might like to see the multimeter in action.

FlexTester by merriwether, on Flickr
Stress crack testing using a cheese press, conductive foam, and a multimeter hooked to a computer. laugh
I wanted to write "Front Towards Enemy" on it but figured the people at work already think I'm nuts.

-Blast

#213049 - 12/14/10 11:21 PM Re: I need some electronics advice. IT LIVES!!! [Re: Blast]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Cool set up Blast.

#213053 - 12/14/10 11:36 PM Re: I need some electronics advice. IT LIVES!!! [Re: Blast]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Very neat set-up Blast, looks like interesting testing. Mike

#213054 - 12/14/10 11:48 PM Re: I need some electronics advice. IT LIVES!!! [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
There is nothing quite like a mad scientist's lab.

But you really should have lightning rods on the roof.

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 346 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.