Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#213107 - 12/15/10 08:35 PM Re: Butane gas stoves [Re: Chisel]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
The nice thing about typical alcohol stoves is that there are no moving parts. Basically, all you need is a metal cup or pop can cut in half, just something to hold the alcohol while it burns.

Once, I fired up my MSR Whisperlite after not having used it for a few years. An "O" ring had cracked, a bit of fuel leaked, and it burst into flames. Yipes! I got the fire out, but had to replace the pump.

An alcohol stove with it's "nothing to go wrong" design is a nice thing to throw in a kit that you don't intend to get out very often. I know a guy who puts caches in of food and supplies in the areas where he hikes in the backcountry a lot. An alcohol stove is perfect for something like that.

Well, enough thread-jacking for now. smile

As to the original poster's situation, I hope he'll update us on how it goes with trying an Esbit/charcoal combination for trips on the road.

HJ

#213307 - 12/19/10 03:02 AM Re: Butane gas stoves [Re: Chisel]
turbo Offline

Loc: Oregon
Butane stoves or chef Stoves

I was introduced to butane stoves by chefs friends many years ago. They are very versatile, convenient, and safe. By fire code, they are allowed to be used table side in crowded restaurants. The fuel canisters can be installed or removed in less than a second. The stove can be easily operated by anyone familiar with gas ranges, if they have common sense, a rare commodity these days. Once the fuel canister is removed, the stove can be shipped or carried anywhere. If used outdoor, a wind screen may be required. The fuel can be found at many well stocked hardware and grocery stores, but your best bet is restaurant supply stores. By the case, the fuel price is very reasonable. If your normal stove is occupied with other activities, this stove can easily fill in. Last week I used one of mine when my wife forgot she was to make fudge for an evening event when she had our large stove busy with other activities. I had it made in no time at all.

I have made many meals on hunting trips from main meals to bananas flambé on the most unstable platforms. The stove is very stable. As far as large pots are concerned, the fuel canister is protected by a closed lid protecting it from reflected heat. Most of the pots and saute pans I use are very large and heavy and I have never over heated the stove, in fact that is one of the benefits of this stove. Once I have removed the pan or pot, within seconds, the stove grate is cool enough to handle by hand.

All my permanent, alternate locations, and my truck have a butane stove and fuel since it is so convenient. Cold temperatures are its only weakness. But I usually cure that problem before I use this stove.

I carry a number of different fuel stoves with me in my truck, from multi fuel to Kelly Kettles, but if I feel lazy, I just use my butane stove. This stove comes in various forms and can be obtained with storage cases for travel.

Edited by turbo (12/19/10 03:04 AM)

#213322 - 12/19/10 10:14 AM Re: Butane gas stoves [Re: Chisel]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
They are pretty handy, and pretty cheap, too. Even a top of the line Iwatani is under $50.

#213664 - 12/27/10 02:15 AM Re: Butane gas stoves [Re: Chisel]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Chisel
I have seen somewhere a few small stoves that run on butane lighter gas. You just stick that can nozzle in the bottom of the stove, fill it up and you get a stove that is like a super jumbo lighter. Thought it cool and may need something like that for light cooking (maybe some tea, noodles ..etc.) I figured wherever I go , that butane can is available and can use it to recharge the stove.

Any idea about good ones out there ??

Thanks
Hey, Chisel,

I think I found what you're looking for. Check out this eBay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280601798704

No affiliation on my part. Just passing on something I happened to see on eBay.

HJ

#214172 - 01/02/11 11:54 PM Re: Butane gas stoves [Re: Chisel]
turbo Offline

Loc: Oregon
That eBay auction is for a butane fueled bunson burner not a stove.

#214177 - 01/03/11 01:01 AM Re: Butane gas stoves [Re: Chisel]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Perhaps a cooking system such as one of these might fit the bill;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NDJtchU0Ck&feature=grec_index

i.e.

Trangia 27-7 UL / HA or Esbit Alcohol Stove

together with a Go Systems GS2000 gas burner adapter or Trangia Gas Burner.

http://www.go-system.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/296/category/43/

A Gasmate Adapter will allow the use of the cheaper Butane cannisters with bayonet connections.

Cooking in the sub freezing conditions using these cheaper Butane Cartridges wouldn't be a problem if you invert the canister and burn the butane as a liquid rather than a gas. i.e Butane has a melting point of -138.4 °C

Now if only Trangia had an aftermarket compatible 1 litre pot with an inbuilt heat exchanger such as the Primus Eta Power pots for maximum fuel efficiency such as the Esbit Alcohol System.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (01/03/11 01:02 AM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.