The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#212931 - 12/13/10 09:04 AM Re: Butane gas stoves [Re: Paul810]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Paul810
If you can get it, I think Everclear is the best thing on the market for alcohol stoves. At 190 proof it's 95% alcohol and it's completely food safe. Price varies, but by me it's less than $15 for a fifth. It also works as an antiseptic, and you can even drink it if need be (though I wouldn't advise drinking it straight).

Absolutely agree Everclear (or any consumer grade 95% alcohol) is the best stove fuel hands down. Thats if you can buy it (unfortunately many states do not sell 190 proof) and if its around the price you mentioned. But thats still 750ml of Everclear for $15 vs. almost 1L of denatured alcohol for $6. More than double the price. frown

#212943 - 12/13/10 02:50 PM Re: Butane gas stoves [Re: LED]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Here is the (Mini 3hour refillable stove)

http://zenstoves.net/Canister.htm

It can be used mostly for warming purposes, not cooking.
Much like a sterno canister

The Sterno is actually much simpler and for picnics and short camping trips, a sterno seems more practical (Maybe evn putting 2 or 3 cans simultaneously for cooking) . But for travellers, there is no guarantee of finding Sternos everywhere I go.

#212947 - 12/13/10 03:56 PM Re: Butane gas stoves [Re: Chisel]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
What would be the advantage of a rechargeable stove over one where you simply attach a canister? Wouldn't a canister be just as easy?

If you're looking for something more compact, the MSR Pocket Rocket is quite compact although the Pocket Rocket uses specialized canisters which are a bit more expensive, and I don't know how available such canisters are in your location.

HJ

#212957 - 12/13/10 07:06 PM Re: Butane gas stoves [Re: Chisel]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The MSR Pocket Rocket is, hands down, my most used stove and I am very happy with it. It has the advantage of being the last type of stove to be banned under dangerous fire conditions. The Achilles heel of the stove is the availability of fuel canisters, although you can use any brand with a Lindahl(sp?) valve. I have done bike tours where I was unable to use the stove, for want of canisters. My solution is to back the PR with an alcohol stove, basically a cat food can with holes. You can get some variety of alcohol fuel anywhere.

There are a couple of other brands, essentially the same as the PR, which I imagine work just about as well. You are basically looking at a burner which screws onto the fuel supply. BTW, you will need to fabricate some type of wind screen to use with this stove (a good idea with almost any setup).

Edited by hikermor (12/13/10 08:24 PM)

#212958 - 12/13/10 07:20 PM Re: Butane gas stoves [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
What would be the advantage of a rechargeable stove over one where you simply attach a canister? Wouldn't a canister be just as easy?

Generally yes.
But I have explained that a rechargeable stove is easier and safer to put in the luggage and when I reach the destination , I go to ANY store and buy a lighter refilling canister to refill the stove.

A normal detacheable stove canister is only available in camping stores, but a lighter refill canister is available almost everywhere.

And I am not intending this stove for wilderness or camping , but for urban travel (by car or bus).

#212959 - 12/13/10 07:30 PM Re: Butane gas stoves [Re: hikermor]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
The MSR Pocket Rocket is one of my favorite stoves as well. It's relatively inexpensive, compact, light weight, simple to operate, and requires virtually no maintenance. I keep one in my FEMA kit/Bug-Out bag along with a couple of fuel canisters. I also use one with a 4oz fuel container when I'm going day-hiking (or a solo overnight) in areas where fires aren't allowed.

If I wanted a stove for long term use or travel use, I would go with an MSR XGK-EX, simply because it runs on just about any liquid fuel. But, for short term stuff, where I can just replace the canisters when I'm done, I love the Pocket Rocket.

In fact, I think I'm going to buy another to keep in my car. grin

#212962 - 12/13/10 08:44 PM Re: Butane gas stoves [Re: Chisel]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I'm no travel expert, but I think Chisel's approach makes a lot of sense. Especially in the less developed world. Use what the locals have. If it's kerosene, use kerosene. If it's butane, use butane. If it's buffalo chips, use a pot with a tight fitting lid. grin

Edited by dougwalkabout (12/13/10 08:45 PM)

#212970 - 12/13/10 10:07 PM Re: Butane gas stoves [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
The MSR Pocket Rocket is, hands down, my most used stove ... you can use any brand with a Lindahl(sp?) valve.
In the US, that's pretty much true. The canisters with Lindal valves generally have the standard 7/16ths UNEF threaded connector on them.

HOWEVER, in many places, Europe in particular, Lindal valved canisters will not be threaded. Instead the non-threaded Camping Gaz type Lindal valve canisters are more prevalent. You can buy an adapter, or you can buy an MSR Superfly stove which can take either type of Lindal valve canister, the standard threaded or Camping Gaz non-threaded.

Note: In Eastern Europe and the Middle East, from what I've read, the older type, piercable canisters are all that are available. This type of canister does not have a valve (Lindal or otherwise) and cannot be safely removed from the stove until the canister is empty.

All that said, as much as I like the Pocket Rocket, you have to know where you're going to be using it. The standard, threaded Lindal valved canisters that we take for granted in the North America, Great Britain, Australia, South Korea, and New Zealand (and possibly a few other places) aren't necessarily available elsewhere.

HJ

#212973 - 12/13/10 10:35 PM Re: Butane gas stoves [Re: Chisel]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Chisel
sterno... is only found in large stores with camping or barbeque sections.

Really? Every grocery store around here sells it- chaffing and fondue pot fuel. If you want to buy in bulk, look for a resturant supply store, you can get it by the case.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#212974 - 12/13/10 10:38 PM Re: Butane gas stoves [Re: Chisel]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Chisel
Quote:

Generally yes.
But I have explained that a rechargeable stove is easier and safer to put in the luggage and when I reach the destination , I go to ANY store and buy a lighter refilling canister to refill the stove.

A normal detacheable stove canister is only available in camping stores, but a lighter refill canister is available almost everywhere.

And I am not intending this stove for wilderness or camping , but for urban travel (by car or bus).
OK, OK, I'm a little slow, but now I see exactly why you want a refillable stove. Butane refills for a cigarette lighter would be the most widely available; I agree. I honestly haven't seen refillable stoves available. You might try eBay. If you're just traveling by bus or train, I personally would buy a canister ahead of time and carry the canister with me.

If some type of alcohol stove is an option, then I might try that since I think it will be hard to find a refillable butane stove. There are three types of alcohol that are commonly used for stove fuel:
ethanol (ethyl alcohol) -- Best
methanol (methyl alcohol) -- OK
isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) -- Bad

Ethanol could be a problem in the middle east because ethanol is the kind of alcohol people drink. However, if it's mixed with something that renders it undrinkable, it may still be available. When mixed with something that renders it undrinkable, it is sometimes referred to by names like denatured alcohol, methylated spirits, and meths. You can often get this undrinkable type of alcohol at hardware stores, paint stores, industrial supply stores, pharmacies, etc.

So, I hope you can find a refillable butane stove, but I think you may have a hard time.

Alternatively, get a stove that has detachable canisters and just bring a canister with you. This is what I normally do on trips where I travel by any means except air.

Lastly, you could try some type of stove that burns undrinkable type alcohol if you can find a source of undrinkable type alcohol.

Those are my thoughts. I hope that helps,

HJ

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.