The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 16 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#212665 - 12/08/10 02:35 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Frisket]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
This is my peanut butter of choice, in my Jeep. I buy it at whole foods whenever it's on sale. It taste great & can be stashed just about anywhere.

#212678 - 12/08/10 04:11 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Frisket]
ajax Offline

I'm going out to buy this immediately.

#212734 - 12/09/10 01:32 AM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: hikermor]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
In the interests of leading this thread a bit astray, let me point out that winter weather is not a big problem in Florida. Late summer and fall weather, on the other hand, can sometimes be a bit challenging.

Yep, winter means different things to different locations. Ask a Canadian what he does in the winter time (late October to March). Personally, my conditions are the prairies which typically means not a lot of snow but the snow turns icy and gets "polished" with wind and more snow. Snow tires don't really help much but winter ice tires like the Blizzak or X-Ice work great because of the softer rubber. Keep your tires inflated at the proper pressure so a tire gauge and foot air pump or compressor come in handy. Ditto for the SPARE TIRE. Those tire inflate-in-a-can products don't work well in the cold weather and muck up your tire pressure sensors.

Nobody uses tire chains around here. A lot of winter troubles will happen because somebody is travelling a bit too fast for the conditions and spin out and find themselves stuck in the ditch. And with the relatively low traffic in the rural areas it can be quite a while before someone can get to you. So as long as you are in cell-phone range it is best to hunker down in the vehicle, keep yourself warm and your vehicle visible. A cell-phone charger should be kept in the car at all times. So should things like charcoal hand warmers / candles / extra clothing / reflective markers / flags / reflective clothing are all great things to have. Obviously you should also have a shovel, sand/kitty litter, tow strap and snow brush/ice scraper.

Food is handy but really not that necessary other than to relieve boredom. Yes the calories are helpful to generate energy and heat but not for a life preserving item. Water is necessary to keep you hydrated, especially if in liquid form but if it is frozen you will spend a while thawing it. I might as well reach out and grab a few mittfulls of snow as that is easier to melt than ice in a bottle! You won't have many hours of sunlight so an alternate light source is high on your list.

Since my vehicle seems to be prone to the gas line freezing, I keep a stash of gas-line antifreeze which doubles as fuel for my alcohol stove. Extra windshield washer fluid. Gas can. Jumper cables (the larger the gauge the better - 4 or 6 gauge 12-16' length please.) Extension cords to plug in the block heater. I also use a "battery blanket" - this term may be foreign to most Americans, let me explain. It is an electric warming pad that encircles the battery and comes with a cord so that it can also be plugged in. It consumes between 75-150 watts and basically keeps the battery several 10's of degrees warmer which allows you to turn over the engine easier. I also practise upsizing the battery - put the largest battery in the vehicle that will fit the battery tray. The more cold cranking amps the better in cold weather. Make sure I also clean the battery terminals. Install a cold-weather bra on the vehicle front so that the cold air won't circulate around the radiator as much (in the old days, I wired a sheet of cardboard in front of the radiator!) A lot of vehicles come with heated front seats - if you have ever been in a car at -40*C and felt the warmth of a heated seat you will know exactly what I mean by "heaven on earth".

Personal protection:
Blankets, parka, overalls, scarf, mitts that will fit over your gloves, balaclava, toques, hoodies, long underwear, extra socks, warm boots, charcoal warmers, face shield goggles to protect your eyes from the direct blast of cold air. Warning: if you come up here with flip flops or crocs I will personally kill you with my laughter! And you WILL DESERVE IT!

#212735 - 12/09/10 01:39 AM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Tyber]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Tyber
OK I am loving this thread!!

1 Grain shovel

Glad to see that somebody even knows what a grain shovel is! smile

#212737 - 12/09/10 01:44 AM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Art_in_FL]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
All that equipment sounds like you're [sp] driving to the north pole and are planning on homesteading if you have a problem. Any kits that don't weigh a thousand pounds, force you to take out the back seat, drag a trailer and/or take out a second mortgage to buy?

Edited for spelling.

Perhaps -- but what would you pack in you vehicle during hurricane bug out season???

#212738 - 12/09/10 01:56 AM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Paul810]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Paul810

Personally, I've got GM's On-Star in my truck, which works on the same network as cell phones, but uses a significantly more powerful transmitter (3 watts). Typically I can get a signal with that when I can't get one with my cell phone. The downside though, is that it's built into my vehicle.

I've a question about the ON-star system. When it first came out it worked on analog cellular technology. When the analog system was killed off the older vehicles with analog on-star lost their connectivity. The new system is digital but what type? GSM, CDMA, TDMA, frequencies? Are these available everywhere?

#212742 - 12/09/10 03:15 AM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Roarmeister]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Originally Posted By: Paul810

Personally, I've got GM's On-Star in my truck, which works on the same network as cell phones, but uses a significantly more powerful transmitter (3 watts). Typically I can get a signal with that when I can't get one with my cell phone. The downside though, is that it's built into my vehicle.

I've a question about the ON-star system. When it first came out it worked on analog cellular technology. When the analog system was killed off the older vehicles with analog on-star lost their connectivity. The new system is digital but what type? GSM, CDMA, TDMA, frequencies? Are these available everywhere?

The newer OnStar setups use a CDMA digital based system with roughly 3 watts of power. It mainly connects to the Verizon network (in the U.S.) and Bell Mobility (in Canada).

It works pretty well. My cell phone is Verizon and I've been able to call with OnStar just fine in places where my cell phone doesn't have any signal.

Here is their coverage map:

OnStar Coverage

#212748 - 12/09/10 05:19 AM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Frisket]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
OK I'll break the Ice!Everyone's Kits/Idea's/Suggestions/etc. Missed One Major Point!What are you using, When Your Futilities turn Towards The Facilities,& There are NO Accomodations in Sight? All That Freeze-dried food/ Peanut butter/Crackers/MRE's/Hot Coffee/Cocoa are gonna' turn into CaaCaa,Eventually! I'd think one of those Fold-up Porta-potty w/bags,couple rolls o' TP & Maybe a cheap shower curtain set-up,Would Certainly be more comfortable,than a "Bear in the Woods" or Squat in a Blizzard,let alone digging a Cat-hole thru the Ice or Falling into some Frozen Water,which is Often found on the Roadside!Think of the Many folks in The UK that drank Coffee & Ate a Bran Muffin,Whilst commuting to work,Then All of a Sudden,Traffic comes to a Halt,& You are in a Full- Blown Blizzard!This Really happened 2 days ago!Maybe some Grampers/Pampers? Think about It!

#212753 - 12/09/10 08:39 AM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Richlacal]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Snow balls work just fine...and they are very stimulating.

#212756 - 12/09/10 10:41 AM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Frisket]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
My hygiene kits in BOB and car include wag bags, personal wipes, and TP; in PFAK and PSK there are a couple personal wipes.

But I had not thought about protecting a place to go.

Page 8 of 16 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 232 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.