The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#212583 - 12/07/10 05:35 PM Les Stroud and Helle team up to design a new knife
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Sorry no pictures just yet, just a press announcement from Les Stroud. Helle knives are a higher end Scandinavian (Norway) knife made of laminated steel, wood/bone/leather handles and leather sheaths. They have several dealers in the US and one in Canada. For those of you who like Frost/Mora knives, you might consider this as well. It will be interesting to see Les's take on what constitutes a survival knife when it comes out.

Press Release http://www.helle.no/Default.aspx?tabid=8457&language=nb-NO

Examples of products http://www.helle.no/Default.aspx?tabid=4937&language=nb-NO

#212584 - 12/07/10 05:52 PM Re: Les Stroud and Helle team up to design a new knife [Re: Roarmeister]
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I've had a Fjellkniven (http://www.helle.no/Default.aspx?tabid=4954&language=en-US) for a number of years. It's a nice comfortable knife that has served me well. Although I have never been in a sitation where I would beat on it, such as splitting wood with a baton. The laminated blade stays sharp and the scandinavian grind makes it easy to sharen the edge by hand.

#212626 - 12/08/10 03:55 AM Re: Les Stroud and Helle team up to design a new knife [Re: Roarmeister]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the info Rory. I am a fan of Les Stroud and since the knife is going to be call "The Temagami" a place where I spend months each year, I look forward to its release.

Helle makes a very good knife now, this could be an excellent bushcraft version.

Mike

#212644 - 12/08/10 06:33 AM Re: Les Stroud and Helle team up to design a new knife [Re: Roarmeister]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
months in Temagami!!your ether a forest ranger or very -very lucky!
i get a month in the BW or Quetico,two weeks at a time.i'm not much on knives made for bushcraft/survival but if Helle is involved it could be more than just a play thing for wana-be's.

#212686 - 12/08/10 05:16 PM Re: Les Stroud and Helle team up to design a new knife [Re: Roarmeister]
widget Offline
Addict

I too have a Helle Fjellniven model. Very well made, sharp and the handle is the most comfortable of any knife I own. It would be very easy on the hand if being used for hours.

Helle makes a variety of nice Bushcraft knives, I like the Harding and the Fjellniven. I can't say I have used mine much, I have a nice Ray Mears clone that I use which is rock solid and will take anything thrown at it. So, the Helle stays in the safe mostly.

I am interested to see what they come up with. Les is highly regarded by most other real survival experts and his take on a knife may be something to own.

I am sure with Les and Helle involvement the knife will be great. Pretty sure it will not be a mall ninja commando knife which seems to be popular lately!!

#212727 - 12/09/10 12:29 AM Re: Les Stroud and Helle team up to design a new knife [Re: SwampDonkey]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Thanks for the info Rory. I am a fan of Les Stroud and since the knife is going to be call "The Temagami" a place where I spend months each year,
Mike

I drove through North Bay a couple of times, is that close enough?

#212745 - 12/09/10 04:09 AM Re: Les Stroud and Helle team up to design a new knife [Re: Roarmeister]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hey Roarmeister,

It depends if you were driving East/West on Hwy 17 or North/South on Hwy 11, Temagami is 100km north of North Bay, Ontario. It is a small tourist town of 934 full time residents that swells greatly in number during the summer months. Neat place due to the nearby remote canoe routes/hiking trails, youth camps, large many armed deep lake, fire tower overlooking town, Grey Owl Museum/Train Station and float plane base on the main street.

Temagami, Ontario

Good Guess Canoedogs.

Mike

#215255 - 01/19/11 01:23 AM Re: Les Stroud and Helle team up to design a new knife [Re: Roarmeister]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Pictures have started to arrive. The knife was announced at the Shot Show and will be available shortly.
http://lesstroud.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/helle-1.jpg
http://lesstroud.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/helle-2.jpg

Les Stroud (aka SURVIVORMAN) to launch new signature knife The Temagami made by Norwegian knife company Helle at Outdoor Adventure Show Saturday, February 26th, 2011 from 1-3PM EST.
http://lesstroud.ca/news/les-stroud-launchs-new-signature-knife

Musician, filmmaker and outdoor survivalist Les Stroud will be at the Outdoor Adventure Show (Toronto International Centre, Hall 5) on Saturday, February 26th, 2011 for the world wide premiere of his new signature knife, The Temagami – a knife you can actually use in the wilderness. At 1:15PM EST, Les will host a Q&A at the Great Ontario Outdoor Adventure Theatre.

Designed in collaboration with Helle, an 80 year old knife producing factory in Holmedal, Norway, each knife is painstakingly hand crafted for the ultimate in quality and outdoor durability.

Only 500 limited edition carbon steel laminate knives will be available for sale at the Outdoor Adventure Show in Toronto. Buy yours at booth #501 Canada Outdoor Equipment or purchase online at www.lesstroud.ca after the show. Helle will release a second version with a laminated stainless steel blade in late February. Thereafter, both versions will be available for purchase world-wide.

The Temagami has a Curly birch handle that’s oiled with linseed and designed to fit snugly in your hand to prevent slipping. The leather sheath is fit to be used for both right and left side carry. Custom grooves on the back of the blade are fit to strike a better spark when using a fire steel.

#215261 - 01/19/11 02:36 AM Re: Les Stroud and Helle team up to design a new knife [Re: Roarmeister]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Thanks Roarmeister, Nice knife, I did not see any mention of price? Mike

#215264 - 01/19/11 02:54 AM Re: Les Stroud and Helle team up to design a new knife [Re: SwampDonkey]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Thanks Roarmeister, Nice knife, I did not see any mention of price? Mike

MIke:

The limited edition is available for pre-order ($179.00 CA) on Stroud's website here.

No mention yet on the price of the SS knife.

John Lubbock

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.