Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#212297 - 12/03/10 02:31 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: njs]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: njs
Extra windshield washer fluid is a must have for winter driving around here. Its possible to run through that fluid faster than gas on a trip through the Colorado front range or mountains in the winter months. Good wipers are a must have as well. Although not technically survival items they can help keep you safer on the road and are things people forget about until they are needed. In addition to survival type gear I carry extra washer fluid and spare wipers.

That's one of the things I love about my Envoy. The washer fluid tank holds a little over 2 gallons, which is two entire bottles of fluid. Most other vehicles I've owned only hold a gallon...if that. grin

#212298 - 12/03/10 02:41 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Art_in_FL]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
All that equipment sounds like you're [sp] driving to the north pole and are planning on homesteading if you have a problem.

Tyber's truck kit is more-or-less what you'll find in any work truck that goes well off the beaten path.

#212301 - 12/03/10 03:48 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Frisket]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Another reason to be prepared is you can be stranded in a snow and or ice event through no fault of your own. Even if you have a vehicle that is equipped to can handle the conditions--roads can be blocked from accidents or storm damage--- and there you sit. As soon as the weather broke enough here after the recent storm--for the state patrol to fly-- they were up in the air with some sort of heat seeking camera checking stranded vehicles for occupants that might be in trouble. And it was only luck they had a break in the weather to do that. Even in a vehicle exposure can be brutal or even deadly without proper cold weather gear and supplies. So far this fall/winter season the PNW has been hit with two storms (one wind and the snow/ice) that came in much more severe than the weather service had predicted. So one can’t just depend on weather reports!

One more piece of equipment that I always carry in my SUV is a small battery powered radio (along with extra batteries) which would give me the ability to keep up on news and weather reports without constantly running the engine or risking running the vehicle battery down.

And most importantly keep those gas tanks topped off in the winter months. During the recent storm here many vehicles ran out of gas when stuck in the jam on I-5.

#212307 - 12/03/10 05:48 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: rebwa]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: rebwa

One more piece of equipment that I always carry in my SUV is a small battery powered radio (along with extra batteries) which would give me the ability to keep up on news and weather reports without constantly running the engine or risking running the vehicle battery down.

And most importantly keep those gas tanks topped off in the winter months. During the recent storm here many vehicles ran out of gas when stuck in the jam on I-5.

Excellent point about the portable radio. And topping off the fuel tank is a very wise habit to get into.

I'm putting together a winter car kit for my sister for Christmas. It fits in a ditty bag. Will take pics and post inventory when its completed. Want to mail it off next week so hopefully can wrap it up this weekend.

In addition to the gear in the kit, I'm going to include some instructions and a check list of other items she should have in her car, such as coat and blanket or sleeping bag. She's driving on Mt. Hood frequently as she has a vacation home at 4000-feet (Government Camp).

So thanks again to the OP -- this thread, most of it, is useful.

#212318 - 12/03/10 07:20 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: rebwa]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: rebwa

If those vehicles ran out of gas by running their engines to keep the car heater going, they were taking chances with carbon monoxide emissions. Problems with CO increase when the vehicle is stationary, and especially if the exhaust pipes should become blocked with snow.

Nice warm clothes are a better alternative.

#212340 - 12/03/10 11:00 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Tyber]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Tyber

To speak to the volume of my stuff, I have a 4x4 truck throwing this gear in the bed of the truck gives me traction and the gear is functional. So rather than driving around with sandbags in the back of the truck for traction (it is rear wheel drive when the 4x4 isn't engaged) I have gear that I can use.

Oh, if I had a 4x4 I would stuff it with stuff... absolutely.

Having a more modest family car (actually, quite roomy) I am very much against filling the cargo space or the passenger compartment with all kinds of stuff. We no longer haul strollers around, which gives a bit more room for emergency equipment, but I still hate having stuff perpetually rolling around back there. The only thing back there is actually the first aid kit (velcro'ed to the side panel) and the emergency triangle, both designed to live there by the manufacturer (and no way to fit them anywhere else, or I would move them too...)

I make great use of the spare wheel drum, which holds a minimalistic "emergency-only" tiny wheel in a normal size wheel drum. This leaves quite a bit for the most basic equipments, including
- Tools
- Jumper cables
- Towing rope
- Gloves
- Poncho and plastic rain suit (single use only)
- 1 litre of sand
- the NATO folding tri-shovel equivalent
- chains

In winter, I add an avalanche shovel (plastic) and some wheel mats (3' long plastic thingy to put under the wheels when stuck in deep snow, untested but probably far better than the floor mats, which I never have been able to make work). I also add a few extra window scrapers and snow brushes (the kids fight over them whenever the car needs scraping or brushing, so I just toss in a few extra). Oh, and I put on really good winter tires.

Glove compartment holds a lighter, flashlight and Mora knife. Side panels hold reflective vests (required by law) and working gloves.

Frankly, we either just drive around locally, in most cases we could just walk home if stuck. And when we drive further away we usually do it for a purpose involving either a day trip or an overnight trip. In both cases we're fairly well equipped.

I am in the process of rethinking this strategy and put together a bigger car cit, along the lines of some food, blankets and such. We'll se how it works out.

#212348 - 12/04/10 03:53 AM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Art_in_FL]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hypothermia,Frostbite,Dehydration,Starvation,Insanity,etc.Will get you,A week in the Hospital or Worse,& The cost could be Astronomical!If I lived in an Area Prone to Freezing-@$$ Weather,I'd Stock up on Everything Possible to Keep my Vehicle & It's Occupants in the Best of The Circumstance!2nd,3rd Mortgage?Ain't Nothin',Compared to Loss of Life & Limb!Equipment is Cheap,No Matter How Expensive it is,Better to have it & Not need it,Than Otherwise!Thanx to Dagny & Tyber,They have Taught me a Good lesson of Winter Minimalism,Should I find myself on that Road!

#212361 - 12/04/10 03:43 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Richlacal]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
No Matter How Expensive it is....Dagny & Tyber,They have Taught me a Good lesson....

Now you have the attitude to survive. Read about all of the dead that were unprepared. Read about those in the hospital that were tough, lucky or under prepared. Understand why some people spend many hours, days or weeks in a survival situation. They did not eliminate the word SEARCH out of "SEARCH & RESCUE". Had it been done, they would have been home for dinner.

DON'T BECOME ONE OF THEM.

CARRY A PLB WHEN RURAL
CARRY COMMUNICATION WHEN URBAN

Edited by ponder (12/04/10 03:45 PM)
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#212362 - 12/04/10 04:55 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Frisket]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
it's just not out on the brush you need a car kit.over in St Paul Mn a couple 70+ years old ladies were stuck in their car for about four hours only a few miles from home.they called for a tow but with a ice storm underway no one showed up.a city sanding truck stopped,they were on a ice covered hill,and said they would send help.nope,nothing.a second sander came hours later and the women and some people behind they finely got moving.i don't carry much in my "city" car thinking a cell phone and blanket should be enough but i'm going to add more including a heater of some sort and a couple bags of sand.

#212364 - 12/04/10 05:38 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: CANOEDOGS]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
heavy snow = instant wilderness. Add unpreparedness and stir well for calamity.

Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.