Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#212458 - 12/06/10 11:55 AM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Frisket]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Because power isn't the only factor. S/N of the receiver, antenna design, etc all factor into being able to send and receive a signal. My droid can get a signal and call through in a lot of places my wife's LG env3 can't on the same carrier.

#212478 - 12/06/10 04:50 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Frisket]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Going through camping gear this weekend I came upon a roll of Reflectix insulation that I'd cut in pieces to fit in the rear and side windows of my Honda Element. That is a popular and cheap method for warmth and privacy on the Element forum among those of us who have slept in our Elements on camping trips. The pieces roll up quite compactly and have been durable. The pieces, cut with scissors (not with precision) fit neatly in the windows, with light pressure.

A 24" by 25' roll took care of my rear and side windows with about half the roll left over (which I've used to envelop my cooler on hot days). For the windshield I use the sunshield that I carry all the time.

Am thinking that for winter road trips, especially with snow in the forecast, it would be wise to throw the Reflectix in the car. It cuts down markedly on drafts. Can't see out of it but I've always left the driver and passenger doors uncovered (and cracked for air) and the Reflectix still makes a notable difference in the rear.

$23

http://www.homedepot.com/Reflectix/h_d1/...catalogId=10053

Anyone else have experience with using Reflectix on camping trips?

#212480 - 12/06/10 05:04 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Dagny]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Dagny
...I've always left the driver and passenger doors uncovered (and cracked for air) and the Reflectix still makes a notable difference in the rear...

That's interesting, and surprising, to me. I would've thought that enough heat escapes through the metal car body that covering the windows wouldn't really make that much difference, but it sounds like it does.

#212485 - 12/06/10 06:08 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Frisket]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I covered the inside walls of my truck with that, headliner, behind the seats, door panels, kick panels, firewall. I drove to work one morning with temps in the single digits and was getting hot and went to turn down the heater and it was already down on cold.

#212486 - 12/06/10 06:10 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Frisket]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I think most vehicles have some degree of insulation in the doors and roof for soundproofing. Covering the windows with reflective bubble wrap could very well be worthwhile.

I've been experimenting with a semi-transparent foam-plus-vapour-barrier material used as underlayment under basement subfloors. It comes in huge rolls, weighs nothing, and adds more insulation than you'd expect. Perfect for temporary winter windows in my house during renovations. I think it would be highly useful if stranded in a car. Similar to this: http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/store...tk=P_PartNumber

Edited by dougwalkabout (12/06/10 06:12 PM)

#212487 - 12/06/10 06:14 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Dagny]
Murph Offline
Stranger

Loc: Virginia
including a blaze orange waterproof hunting coat that I got a sensational deal on ($17 for an $80 or so coat).

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/60155?feat=506569-GN3

I've got a similar looking jacket, does your's have a fleece like exterior? Mine does, and it seems to soak through pretty easy in the rain.

I'm also an occasional Beltway traveler and there is no way I'd ever want to want to break down on it.

#212494 - 12/06/10 07:15 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Frisket]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Perhaps this is toooo obvious: plane tickets to a sunny destination - break glass in case of opportunity!

#212496 - 12/06/10 07:27 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Murph]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Murph
including a blaze orange waterproof hunting coat that I got a sensational deal on ($17 for an $80 or so coat).

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/60155?feat=506569-GN3

I've got a similar looking jacket, does your's have a fleece like exterior? Mine does, and it seems to soak through pretty easy in the rain.

I'm also an occasional Beltway traveler and there is no way I'd ever want to want to break down on it.

The exterior feels more like a thin felt than fleece. The inside is a light fleece.

I have not worn it in the rain. It sure is bright!

The Beltway and I-270 -- gives me the heebie-jeebies to think about being stranded on either. You'd be a sitting duck.

On that note, I just got a reflective safety triangle from Red Flare. It augments a strobe light and LED road flare:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65534?feat=9519-GN2

#212499 - 12/06/10 07:58 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Dagny]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Currently there are 10,000s of motorists (estimated 20-40 mile motorway bumper to bumper tail back) know stranded on the main motorway between Glasgow and Edinburgh (M8) facing an unexpected overnight (currently 20:45 GMT) stay in their cars in -15C temperatures. Many of them were morning commuters so have already been stranded for 12 hours in freezing temperatures. The motorway network in central Scotland is now basically unusable and the authorities are unable to help due to the weather conditions. Many are now running out of fuel so its going to be an uncomfortable chilly overnight stay in their vehicles.

The police have advised people stranded on the Scottish Motorway network to stay in their cars and have advised anyone this evening who need to make journeys to use public transport (which is quite laughable as public transport is currently non existent). The army have now been brought in to help with the ambulance services as they are now basically unable to reach patients or emergency 999 calls throughout most of Scotland. Even the London based media are starting to take an interest, as the current media spin in more akin to a 'isn't everyone having a jolly good winter snow sledging holiday at the moment'.

If only more folks were prepared with Winter car kits, so this is a very relevant thread.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (12/06/10 08:10 PM)

#212503 - 12/06/10 08:20 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Frisket]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

5 degrees Fahrenheit -- OMG! I've camped down to 19 degrees and that was not delightful with a zero-degree sleeping bag and fleece head-to-toe in a teardrop trailer.

I hope they topped-off their gas tanks before hitting the road.

5 degrees Fahrenheit would be a miserable night with my half-ton of gear.

Going to the bathroom would be miserable (and too public for comfort).

Best wishes to the Scottish people who are in harm's way in these storms.

BBC coverage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/scotland/

Page 5 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.