Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#212295 - 12/03/10 02:03 PM Re: Best Snow Shovel for car? [Re: Frisket]
njs Offline

Loc: Colorado
I can say from first hand experience that grain scoops are not necessarily the most practical snow shovels. The blades are usually too big to fit where you need to reach and when full of snow too heavy for most people to move easily.

Also, the plastic models are too flimsy for firm snow and ice and the the aluminum blades eventually crack. The aluminum blades can be cut down to remove extra material, making the blade more rigid and functional. If weight is a concern this is an option; although, for a vehicle shovel weight isn't a real concern.

A sturdy, inexpensive D-handle flat edged, transfer or spade type shovel works great. It can break through tough snow or ice, clear snow from under the vehicle and will last for years.

Here is an example:

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Garden...catalogId=10053

Supplement this with a sturdy snow shovel, like those carried by back country skiers, for lighter duty work moving snow and you are set.

Voile and Backcountry Access make particularity sturdy shovels at good prices, here are examples:

http://www.voile-usa.com/Merchant2/merch...Product_Count=0

http://backcountryaccess.com/index.php?id=136

#214068 - 01/01/11 02:27 PM Re: Best Snow Shovel for car? [Re: Frisket]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Round point or square point is more useful?

#214074 - 01/01/11 06:02 PM Re: Best Snow Shovel for car? [Re: jshannon]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I have always been partial to something like a coal shovel. Square "pointed", D handle, moderate sides, kind of like a miniature grain shovel. Most hardware stores carry something like this and the prices start pretty low (about $12).

Flat blade is good for snow and ice and works well with gravel or accident debris also. Short handle not only helps with storing in the car but makes it easy to use when digging out the snow under the car.

Something like the following: http://www.doitbest.com/Shovels-Ames+True+Temper-model-1309300-doitbest-sku-744494.dib

- Eric

#214086 - 01/01/11 08:13 PM Re: Best Snow Shovel for car? [Re: Eric]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I tend to prefer a round point shovel for the best overall performance, but square blades work very well, and are better as long as you are digging mostly soft stuff. What really improves performance for any shovel, whether round or square, is to sharpen it (a nice chisel edge works best). This is a trick I learned on fire lines, and one that I have applied many times on archaeological digs. So modified, a shovel is very nearly a light axe.

#214088 - 01/01/11 09:04 PM Re: Best Snow Shovel for car? [Re: Frisket]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
+1 on putting a bevel on your spades and shovels. That's SOP around here. It reduces the effort required to dig in all seasons, and turns a "muck stick" into a cutting, chopping and scraping tool.

#214296 - 01/04/11 07:51 PM Re: Best Snow Shovel for car? [Re: hikermor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I tend to prefer a round point shovel for the best overall performance, but square blades work very well, and are better as long as you are digging mostly soft stuff.

Agreed

What really improves performance for any shovel, whether round or square, is to sharpen it (a nice chisel edge works best).

Thanks a lot - I'll give that a try.

#214299 - 01/04/11 08:34 PM Re: Best Snow Shovel for car? [Re: hikermor]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
In addition to sharpening the edge I have found that a bit of wear on a square "point" shovel gives you some nice ice chipping points on the outside edges. The biggest problem I have with round point for snow removal is it doesn't quickly remove a lot of snow off of a flat surface (like a driveway or road). Of course any shovel is better than none for snow removal and off road is a very different situation. smile

- Eric

#214715 - 01/10/11 09:48 PM Re: Best Snow Shovel for car? [Re: Frisket]
digimark Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chesapeake Beach, MD
(Non-relevant part removed; forgot which thread I was writing in!)

Regarding putting a decent edge on a shovel blade -- I have a Gerber folding shovel. What do you use to put a good edge on it? A grinder? Dremel tool? I need to see if there is a YouTube video on sharpening shovel edges...

Edited by digimark (01/10/11 10:06 PM)
Edit Reason: Removed non-relevant part.

#214718 - 01/10/11 10:16 PM Re: Best Snow Shovel for car? [Re: digimark]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
When I have sharpened shovels and other digging tools, I use a grinder with a fine grit - carefully. It is quite easy to draw the temper if you get too eager. I imagine a Dremel would work OK as well - just take it easy. Nothing wrong with a file for that matter - it will simply take a bit longer.

Let us know if you are able to shave with your shovel. I have never accomplished that.

#214720 - 01/10/11 10:26 PM Re: Best Snow Shovel for car? [Re: hikermor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
When I have sharpened shovels and other digging tools, I use a grinder with a fine grit - carefully. It is quite easy to draw the temper if you get too eager. I imagine a Dremel would work OK as well - just take it easy. Nothing wrong with a file for that matter - it will simply take a bit longer.

I agree. A file works perfectly. The same file I use to coarse sharpen my ax or hatchet works perfectly for shovels. It only takes a minute or so to clean up the edge of the shovel blade. Most people go overboard and put too much of a fine edge on the shovel blade then wonder why the blade chips or the edge folds over or burred easily.

John Lubbock

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 246 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.