The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#212117 - 11/30/10 09:25 PM Lost Hunter
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
The following is an article from today's Bend (Oregon) Bulletin newspaper.

"A Prineville man spent three nights and four days in the Ochoco National Forest miles away from his camp until another hunter rescued him Sunday afternoon.

Alan Hewitt, 48, of Prineville, set out to elk hunt for more than a week. He broke camp on Monday, Nov. 22. On Thanksgiving Day, the horse he was riding slipped and fell. The horse was injured, and so was Hewitt. The retired Marine slipped his dislocated shoulder back into place and set out to find the main road. His goal, according to his wife, was to get there before hunting season ended and all the other hunters left the forest."

The fellow is still in the hospital.

Right now, no one knows what kind of gear he was carrying to keep himself alive.

The rest of the article can be found at:

www.outdoorquest.biz

All the best, Blake

#212118 - 11/30/10 09:52 PM Re: Lost Hunter [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
If there is a follow up article, please post it. Encourage Hewitt to chronicle the hunt. See if a good reporter could prompt him to second guess his mistakes.

I am a firm believer that there are two variables that often comes up in back country tragedies.

1. GRAVITY – Gravity is the number one threat in the backcountry. In this particular case, I get off the horse on steep or slippery grades. Feed the reins thru a 4’ piece of 1” heavy wall pvc pipe to make sure you have some warning if the horse tries to run you over.
2. ELIMINATE SEARCH – Eliminate search out of the “Search & Rescue” equation. A PLB would have had Hewett back to town the same day.

* My dad was a DVM for 33 years. His favorite saying was – “Everyone should have a horse. It is a great way store meat without refrigeration. Just don’t ever get on one.”
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#212121 - 11/30/10 10:35 PM Re: Lost Hunter [Re: ponder]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: ponder
My dad was a DVM for 33 years. His favorite saying was – “Everyone should have a horse. It is a great way store meat without refrigeration. Just don’t ever get on one.”

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

in my life i've only had four up-close and personal experiences with horses. all turned out poorly for me.

and coming from a vet who would know!

#212134 - 12/01/10 04:36 AM Re: Lost Hunter [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Okay, continuing the thread hijack: I confess that my opinion on horses mirrors those above -- i.e., best appreciated in a nice gravy with a bottle of Bordeaux.

My DW finds my opinions appalling/barbaric. But I earned them honestly: when I was six, old Duke (miserable old bugger, a draft horse, could open any gate with his teeth) stood on my foot as I was moving his picket and refused to move. Oh, I can taste that gravy.

P.S., Glad the hunter got out alive. Anybody who can pop a dislocated shoulder back into place is one tough bird.

#212148 - 12/01/10 02:05 PM Re: Lost Hunter [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Continued threadjack: I had a miserable old nag bite down on my shoulder when I was five. I didn't think about how to react, I just turned my head, got a mouthful of the edge of her nostril, and bit back. She let go with a snort, and jumped away. If she didn't like me before, she really didn't care for me afterwards...

#212150 - 12/01/10 02:23 PM Re: Lost Hunter [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
It is interesting the actions and the manors that people get when they are hypothermic. When I took my last WEMT class it was at SOLO in North Conway NH, there founder Frank Hubbell is an expert at hypothermia and the effects.

I had once herd of a man who tested someone for Hypothermia with a snicker bar. When he gave the sinkers bar to the person who he thought was hypothermic, the hypothermic man broke down in tears over the fact he couldn't open it. My friend opened the bar for him and started Hypothermia treatment immediately. On the note of Hypothermia and SOLO one of the required items for there survival/EMS kits is instant JELLO (NOT the sugar free kind). It appears that Instant JELLO has all the necessary nurturance, carbs and the such to help a person recover from hypothermia quickly.
(Disclaimer, I AM a graduate from SOLO and I do encourage anyone who can to attend there classes, but I have no affiliation with JELLO or General Mills.)

During a SAR conference a class on analyzing people’s actions they had photos of a hunter who died of hypothermia. In the final hours his core temp dropped so much that he felt hot. He was found face down in a river taking off his belt.

So the fact that the hunter in the story was waving away the guy who found him is not surprising. He was very lucky.

ON a side note, I like horses and am glad that they were also rescued

#212152 - 12/01/10 03:14 PM Re: Lost Hunter [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Outdoor_Quest
The following is an article from today's Bend (Oregon) Bulletin newspaper.

The retired Marine slipped his dislocated shoulder back into place...

Masterful understatement. Repeated dislocation can stretch the connective tissue to some degree, but a dislocated shoulder often incapacitates and often requires lots of drugs and a couple of big orthopedists to "slip back into place". This is a tough guy.

+1 on the anti-equine threadjack. My old man was also a vet, so I got to hold the horse while he did unspeakable things to them, which unspeakables the horse generally attempted to pass along to me. I believe that the reason the cowboys carried revolvers was so that they could shoot misbehaving horses. The historical record suggests that this happened much more frequently than high noon walkdowns

#212155 - 12/01/10 04:15 PM Re: Lost Hunter [Re: ponder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My first summer in the NPS, I rode a horse almost daily on fire patrol and used fire mules while responding to back country fires. I quickly found out that I was a hiker, not a rider. The horse is just one more way to come to grief while out in the woods. The same could be said for my bicycle, but at least it doesn't need to be fed.

#212232 - 12/02/10 09:47 PM Re: Lost Hunter [Re: NightHiker]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl

Fortunately, having a horse with you provides a ready source of bait with which to distract the predator, as well as a fairly bullet-resistant cadaver to hide behind, if bandits attack, and a cozy body cavity into which to crawl if the temperature suddenly drops. These solutions pretty much preclude the survival of the horse, an added bonus.Useful critters, particularly after they canter off this mortal coil.

#212234 - 12/02/10 09:56 PM Re: Lost Hunter [Re: nursemike]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: nursemike
These solutions pretty much preclude the survival of the horse, an added bonus.

what do you use to remove coffee from the monitor and keyboard?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 301 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.