Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#211892 - 11/25/10 04:55 AM Range Trauma Kit - Need Some Help.
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
I have carried two 1990's era military field dressings and a triangular bandage (which I got when in the NG) with my items to go to the rifle range, just in case.

But after looking on the 'Net I see this is totally inadequate, and the technology and procedures have moved on considerably since my combat lifesaver training in the early 90's. Now that my children go with me to the range, I want to upgrade the kit.

The range I shoot at is at least 30 minutes from an emergency facility.

I thought of just buying a straight US Army IFAK, but I do no not know the proper use of all of the components, or the rationale for each, and so I'm not sure it is sufficient for my needs.

I know I want 1-2 First Care "Israeli" dressings (4", with mobile pad), a tourniquet (CAT-type), and something to stop heavy bleeding like QuikClot. I've also seen the wound covers for a sucking chest wound. (IIRC, we had something similar in the CLS bag.) I will also throw in some nitrile gloves.

Questions:

Is that all I need?

As to the QuikClot, it is sold in all sorts of sizes and flavors. "Sport", "Adventure", Trauma" - in 25g, 50g and 100g sponges, and a 4-yard combat gauze. I have never used it, so on this I am clueless. What and how many should I have? How is it used? Because I am on blood thinners, someone recommended I have some QuikClot anyway in case I have a bad cut in my workshop, as my meds make it hard for my blood to clot. Recommendations and insights?

The IFAK has a compressed gauze bandage. How is that used? Should I have one as well?

Any comments, hints, advice, help, etc., would be most appreciated.

And, Happy Thanksgiving to all!

.....CLIFF
(like, who else?)

Edited by cliff (11/25/10 05:00 AM)

#211894 - 11/25/10 06:11 AM Re: Range Trauma Kit - Need Some Help. [Re: cliff]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
The items in an IFAK is basic.

If you don't know how to use that, then you need to attend a basic First Aid Course and have a talk with the Instructor.

You should consider taking an Advanced First Aid Course as well.

Bring your FAK and tell him about going to the range and your concerns. They will show you how those bandages are used to control bleeding, to buy yourself time for the trip to the ER.

Edited by wildman800 (11/25/10 06:13 AM)

#211897 - 11/25/10 01:24 PM Re: Range Trauma Kit - Need Some Help. [Re: wildman800]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Wildman said it all. Training is more important than the gadgets.

What is the protocol at the range for injuries? Transport to a good ER is likely to be key in the event of a gunshot wound and time would be of the essence.

#211904 - 11/25/10 02:18 PM Re: Range Trauma Kit - Need Some Help. [Re: cliff]
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

I've had basic first aid training through the Red Cross and Army, and I completed the CLS course while on the NG. But, that was almost 20 years ago, so my quandry is how to use the new products, like QuikClot. I have seen the YouTube vids, and read as much as I can, but what QuikClot product to buy? One 50g 'Trauma' sponge, or 2 25g 'Sport' sponge, or the 'Combat Gauze'? I can't seem to find anything telling me the difference. Is 2 25g equal to one 50g? Is 2 50g equal to one roll of the gauze?

The IFAK is indeed basic, but there is little on the web about training/use the components, and for what situation. When I was in, you were issued one field dressing, and the only treatment for blood loss was pressure.

#211906 - 11/25/10 03:59 PM Re: Range Trauma Kit - Need Some Help. [Re: cliff]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Totally agree with Hikermor

It's not as if you are in the wilderness, you're 30 mins from a decent hospital you said.

I would apply pressure to any wounds and beat feet to the ER. Those old gauze bandages in your antique first aid pouch work fine - so do tampons.

Maybe apply a tourniquet if and only if pressure didn't stop/slow the bleeding. I wouldn't waste money on quikclot, heard some nasty stories about aftereffects, dunno if I would want to use it or not.

Don't get so wrapped up looking at the trees you miss the forest. Remember KISS - treat quick and beat feet to a doc.

#211908 - 11/25/10 04:51 PM Re: Range Trauma Kit - Need Some Help. [Re: JBMat]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Perhaps the most important question would be, "How long would it take for a capable paramedic to respond to your 911 call?" Transport in a private vehicle might or might not be a good idea. The paramedic will be in communication with the ER, and will have expanded capabilities over even a well trained layperson. They can best utilize the "Golden Hour."

Would love to hear comment from some of the PMs on this forum...

#211911 - 11/25/10 05:12 PM Re: Range Trauma Kit - Need Some Help. [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I'm taking a one-day course for firearms instructors on treating gunshot wounds in mid-December. I'll be sure to post something after the class.

#211912 - 11/25/10 05:41 PM Re: Range Trauma Kit - Need Some Help. [Re: cliff]
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Hikermor: Range we go to now is public (thank you, Louisiana DNR!), but 9 miles down a washboard dirt road. I would only consider moving a victim by POV as a last resort. I'd wait for EMS.

And yes, I'd like to hear from the vets and PMs about this, especially what they recommend as kit components.

Chaosmagnet: I would enjoy you sharing what you learn. Thanks!

Edited by cliff (11/25/10 05:43 PM)

#211917 - 11/25/10 09:48 PM Re: Range Trauma Kit - Need Some Help. [Re: cliff]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
for the good Samaritan.... add some nitrile gloves and Clorox... an acquaintance took a fragment to the scalp with a lot of blood loss... I was frist to get to him, and used a handkerchief to apply pressure...ended up with wrist deep blood on me... when I asked him if there was a possibility of AIDS/HepC and he replied " I DON'T think so" and I wanted to hear "definitely NO"... the range did not have anything other than soap/water to clean my hands...

#211922 - 11/26/10 12:27 AM Re: Range Trauma Kit - Need Some Help. [Re: cliff]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

IMO you're better off skipping the blood-clot and 4by4s.

A couple of field dressings, a couple tourniquets, maybe an airway if there is some present who can put one in, and 911 on speed dial. The priority is to keep the blood in, dirt out (as long as doing so doesn't slow down anything else), and transport are you're priorities.

Transport can be a bit of a trick. An EMT response and ambulance ride has advantages in that a good EMT has more options. And an ambulance arriving at an ER gets the fastest and most definitive response. Partly because stabilization and initial evaluation are done, partly because it is what the ER is used to, and partly because an EMT who works regularly with the ER is going to be more effective at communicating with the ER.

This can also speed response on the ER end of things because reporting by radio the EMTs can trigger the ER call list and crisis response protocols. This means that by the time the ambulance arrives the ER has a chance to have a trauma team (trauma surgeon, respiratory therapist, radiologist, etcetera) standing by.

On the other hand a lot depends on how fast EMTs can/will respond compared to how fast, and effectively, you can do the job. I've seen people bundled up and hauled off to the ER in the back of a truck in what seemed like two minutes compared to the rural FD response time north of twenty minutes. Good news is that someone got on the horn, this was before cell phones, and informed the ER, actually a full-on trauma center in this case, that they were coming and everything worked out swimmingly.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.