The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#211746 - 11/22/10 06:57 AM Best rainwear for active folks
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Playing in the rain is usually fun. I don't mind getting a little wet, and modern layered clothing keeps me pretty warm and comfortable even when damp.

But I am not happy with light Goretex inevitably failing after a few hours of woods scrambling, or heavier solutions that trap too much heat and restrict movement too much.

Have you found a happy medium?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

#211754 - 11/22/10 01:25 PM Re: Best rainwear for active folks [Re: dweste]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Gortex Gen 3 is the best, yes there are versions of Gortex and if you have a light version of Gortex you may want to look into the version.

The heavier weight Gortex or Gortex Gen 3. I just checked Wiki and they don't mention the version of Gortex but when I purchased my Gortex from a man who made Gortex gear for the Special Forces he did mention generations of Gortex.

I have had good luck with most Gortex from LL Bean (insert standard disclaimer)

Edited by Tyber (11/22/10 01:26 PM)

#211755 - 11/22/10 01:25 PM Re: Best rainwear for active folks [Re: dweste]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I had a student's family that were commercial salmon fishermen... long gill nets tended from skiffs... they used only Helly Hanson rainwear... the only product they said that would withstand the wear/tear..I used one of their light weight caped back rain jackets (taslan and two layers of nylon, not sure if there was a coating) for years, but only for moderate activity.. here in Florida there is not enough partial pressure difference for the GoreTex coating to work well in the high humidity...you might check their current line of outdoor clothing... I take the GoreTex when I head north.

#211756 - 11/22/10 01:30 PM Re: Best rainwear for active folks [Re: dweste]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
For me the answer is NO. I've not found any rain gear that I particularly like.

Jackets of any kind tend to make me sweat too much unless its quite cool out. I've tried permeable and non-permeable - same thing.

My solution is typically a long poncho (Exped Bivy Poncho - I'm 6'5" tall, so length is important). I can't stand the poncho hood, so I wear a synthetic Tilley hat to keep the rain off my head & glasses.

Even the poncho can make me sweat in summer, but I can "loft" it get the air circulating.

Ken

#211759 - 11/22/10 01:58 PM Re: Best rainwear for active folks [Re: dweste]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
For me the answer is it DEPENDS. I had friends who grew up working commercial fisheries in Alaska and they swear by Helly Hansen for hard outdoor work - but its a dog chugging up a mountainside hike in the Cascades, I tried that. Folks swear by Goretex and that seems to work for many, until it fails like all layers inevitably do, and it remains pricey, expensive enough that you can grumble about the cost when it fails. I use an eVent jacket = the mythical $40 Teva eVent discontinued jacket I and thousands of others bought years ago, I wish I'd bought several - that works great for me, but after 12 hours in hikeable rain I wasn't any drier than I had been in an older Goretex jacket. But I was dry enough, and warm. My best solution is layers - Patagonia capilene near the skin, wool above that, eVent, then a non-permeable layer when I stop for a break to keep the rain off. A change of capilene and socks in my pack for any surprise overnights. Does an umbrella count as a layer? It sure works like one.

FWIW I also bought an Eddie Bauer rain jacket, one of their new mountaineer series, that keeps the rain off really well. But you will perspire inside, and I reckon it works better in colder climates of snow and snow/rain. That was also a good buy, I could never spend $300 or more on a rain jacket even if guaranteed to keep me dry.

#211763 - 11/22/10 04:27 PM Re: Best rainwear for active folks [Re: dweste]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
My solution is to have several types of rain gear and try and pair it with the temperature, weather, and activity level. In short it doesn't always work, but I try.

#211765 - 11/22/10 04:34 PM Re: Best rainwear for active folks [Re: Lono]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Poncho's Work for me,with Nylon Pants/Merino Wool Socks,At least Here in The West!Poly-Fleece or Merino Wool helps with wicking sweat,Of course Diet/Exercise play's a Key role in your body's propensity to Sweat,Of which is what makes a person Uncomfortable in Rainwear,To begin with! Capilene is Definitely,The Very Best for Comfort,underneath Not-So-Breathable Fabrics/Materials,or Without for that Matter,You Will Pay for Comfort,One way or Another!

#211774 - 11/22/10 05:34 PM Re: Best rainwear for active folks [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
There is no perfect solution. Later Gore-Tex works fairly well, especially if worn with a wicking layer. Venting whenever possible is a good idea as well. Moderating physical activity and removing inner layers is a good idea as well. In really wet conditions, like a boat deck in high winds, it is back to good old impermeable oilskins and foul weather gear. Then you will at east be warm and damp, rather than cold and damp.

#211776 - 11/22/10 05:47 PM Re: Best rainwear for active folks [Re: dweste]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Beans light weight Goretex,over 20 years old and never failed.
i have tried ponchos and coated nylon and this works best for what i do.the only wet i have had is when i did not button the snaps on the front and water came thru the zipper.at home walking the dog i return %100 dry,on canoe trips portaging gear it gets damp under it but never wet.if it's cold i wear polyfluff under it,warm, a nylon fishing shirt.the saving grace with this jacket is that i don't get cold and wet and in the end,out on the lakes,that's all i need.i don't expect the same level of comfort as i do at home.also i don't need to live in my rain suit because at the end of the day i know i'll have a warm tent and meal.the rain gear is just a small part of what should be a "system" aimed at comfort and if need be survival.

at the Devils Cascade Portage.

and at the end of the day it's light enough to dry in the wind in a short time.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (11/22/10 05:54 PM)

#211788 - 11/22/10 08:57 PM Re: Best rainwear for active folks [Re: dweste]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks to Dagny's recommendation on this forum, I’m now a fan of the Marmot PreCip jacket and pants. I’ve had the opportunity to test them out several times this fall and today in a snow storm. I got them large enough for a good mid layer. They fold up to next to nothing in the pack.

I have an older Marmot gore tex jacket that is great in cold and wet conditions and it's tough as nails.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.