The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#211869 - 11/24/10 05:15 AM Re: Best rainwear for active folks [Re: Art_in_FL]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Just remember,The Weather doesn't care what you look like,It's Main Goal is to Get You Wet!What are you gonna' do about it?Military Poncho,Best Bang For The Buck!Merino Wool,Comfortable & Warm,Even when Wet!

#211872 - 11/24/10 05:46 AM Re: Best rainwear for active folks [Re: dweste]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I agree with Art. Stripping down to a pair of swim trunks works great. If it gets cold, I will put a rain shell over my wet skin to keep the wind off. Change or air dry after.

#211874 - 11/24/10 06:32 AM Re: Best rainwear for active folks [Re: Art_in_FL]
LED Offline
Veteran

Yeah, I definitely know what a goretex jacket without DWR feels like. I've had the same Marmot goretex jacket for years and have re-treated it with Grangers DWR and Nikwax. Unfortunately nothing seems to work anymore and it barely beads water. I guess the wetness felt underneath was my own sweat due to loss of breathability. Oh well, at least I got many good years out of that jacket.

#211888 - 11/24/10 08:53 PM Re: Best rainwear for active folks [Re: LED]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: LED
Yeah, I definitely know what a goretex jacket without DWR feels like. I've had the same Marmot goretex jacket for years and have re-treated it with Grangers DWR and Nikwax. Unfortunately nothing seems to work anymore and it barely beads water. I guess the wetness felt underneath was my own sweat due to loss of breathability. Oh well, at least I got many good years out of that jacket.

It's old school but I've had at least one success regaining water repellent finish when other methods failed by spraying on several coats of silicone. I don't know if it made any difference but I took some care to pull the membrane away from the outer shell when I sprayed on the silicone. Two coats, allowed outside to dry (VOCs and it smells like a bus) in between, allowed me to return my lovingly patched 'old dependable' to second line service as work-wear and riding in the truck.

Silicone isn't all that durable. Recoating every year is usually necessary but after two or three years of getting a regular dose it does seem to get saturated and last longer.

Nikwax makes some good DWR finishes. I used one that gets washed in and polished in the dryer. I've used that a bit but it seems inconsistent. Sometimes extra drying time on high seems to activate it. Other times, not. A friend suggested that some inconsistency may have to do with how long it has been sitting on the shelf.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.