The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#211682 - 11/21/10 05:47 AM A rescue at sea: cautionary tale
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
I spotted this account of a rescue at sea this fall (9/30/2010) of a jet ski operator who ran out of gas off Cherry Cove, Catalina Island, California.

He had a lot of things go south:

- his fuel calculations didn't account for the heavy seas,
so he ran out of gas 5 miles short of Cherry Cove
- his waterproof VHF radio failed soon into the trip
- his flares were duds
- His eventual rescuer had seen and dismissed his distress signal mirror flash as an accidental flash.
- " He had seen lots of boats but no one had seen his waving arms or heard his shouting voice or the flash of his signal mirror."

9/30 A rescue at sea - Cherry Cove, Catalina Island

#211702 - 11/21/10 08:00 PM Re: A rescue at sea: cautionary tale [Re: rafowell]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Yikes! It seems like he took reasonable precautions. Plus, he's an ex-marine. Sometimes, things just don't work out. In the end, his survival was a success.

I wonder if he had a whistle, or maybe he lost it. I'd want my big Storm Whistle in that situation.

As for the guy who saw the flash, that's not comforting that he ignored the flash. Maybe it happens a lot. I would think that a flash at least deserves a look through some binoculars/telescope. Or maybe the rescuer didn't have those.

#211706 - 11/21/10 08:31 PM Re: A rescue at sea: cautionary tale [Re: ireckon]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: ireckon

As for the guy who saw the flash, that's not comforting that he ignored the flash. Maybe it happens a lot.

It may indeed happen a lot. I recall reading someplace that you are more likely to have someone stop and help you (say your car is broken down) on a lonely country road, then you are if you are on a highway with dozens of cars passing you every moment.

Apparently, it the presence of lots of other cars (boats?) in the area makes people think that there really can't be a problem or someone else would have stopped to help already, so they don't stop. On the country road, they can see they are the only one who can help, and are more likely to stop and help.

It sounds like there were other boaters in the area; perhaps the area is well traveled. So they thought if there was trouble, someone would have helped already. . .

#211715 - 11/21/10 10:36 PM Re: A rescue at sea: cautionary tale [Re: bws48]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
A flash all by itself doesn't mean much; it could be a bit of chrome or even the water. To get someone's attention with a mirror, I'd think you'd need to flash them repeatedly, and hopefully in a recognizable pattern such as SOS.

On a personal watercraft, I'd probably prefer an air horn to a whistle, but I'd definitely put a whistle on my PFD.

#211716 - 11/21/10 10:39 PM Re: A rescue at sea: cautionary tale [Re: rafowell]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'd like a blow horn too. However, I'm not sure how practical that would have been, given everything else he was carrying.

Regarding the mirror, I'm not skilled enough to do SOS. My skill level is at being able to hit the target. My goal would be to shine a constant reflection. In this particular scenario (tired, capsized boat, hanging on for dear life), performing SOS with a mirror would be even farther beyond my capabilities. Note also that the rescuer never said he failed to see an SOS signal. The rescuer ignored the flash entirely.

#211720 - 11/21/10 11:03 PM Re: A rescue at sea: cautionary tale [Re: ireckon]
BigToe Offline
Journeyman

Regarding the mirror, I'm not skilled enough to do SOS. My skill level is at being able to hit the target. My goal would be to shine a constant reflection. In this particular scenario (tired, capsized boat, hanging on for dear life), performing SOS with a mirror would be even farther beyond my capabilities.

Any signal in sequences of three should be recognized as a distress signal, whether it's a flash, light, whistle, flags, etc.

SOS is just three shorts, three longs, three short: · · · — — — · · · of anything.

A constant reflection may be seen as just that, a reflection not a signal.

#211721 - 11/21/10 11:23 PM Re: A rescue at sea: cautionary tale [Re: BigToe]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: BigToe
Regarding the mirror, I'm not skilled enough to do SOS. My skill level is at being able to hit the target. My goal would be to shine a constant reflection. In this particular scenario (tired, capsized boat, hanging on for dear life), performing SOS with a mirror would be even farther beyond my capabilities.

Any signal in sequences of three should be recognized as a distress signal, whether it's a flash, light, whistle, flags, etc.

SOS is just three shorts, three longs, three short: · · · — — — · · · of anything.

A constant reflection may be seen as just that, a reflection not a signal.

That SOS (three shorts, three longs, three short) is just not going to happen in this situation with a signal mirror. If you could have done the simpler three shorts, pause, repeat, then you still have high skill.

I don't deny what an SOS means. I'm doubting that I could have done an SOS with a signal mirror in this situation. Merely hitting the target in this situation would have been a remarkable feat for me. Regarding an SOS with a whistle or a blow horn, I could have done that. A flashlight is irrelevant here because it would not have been seen. I don't think I would have wasted my energy trying to signal with a flag, which probably would have been a bandana in this situation.

#211723 - 11/21/10 11:42 PM Re: A rescue at sea: cautionary tale [Re: rafowell]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
He lucked out. Catalina is about 22 miles off the coast of California, specifically Orange County. Very well traveled - there are probably 20 ferries daily. And probably dozens of private vessels too.

Unfortunately, nearly the entire island traffic goes to Avalon, at the southern tip. There's a Boy Scout camp halfway up the island at the isthmus, and one at the northern end (Emerald Bay). Also a girl scout camp. There's also a small airport, serving Cessna-type planes.

I assume there's LOTS of flashes - it IS the ocean, after all. totally normal to ignore one.

The other interesting, and perhaps frustrating thing, is that he's probably within site of land. Certainly, from the beach on a clear day, you can see out to the island. From any altitude on the island, you can see the mainland (and all the ocean in between). Literally, hidden under the noses of thousands (milions?).

#211729 - 11/22/10 01:28 AM Re: A rescue at sea: cautionary tale [Re: rafowell]
sotto Offline
Addict

Having done my share of boating (27 foot sailboats and small motorboats in coastal waters, ocean kayaking, canoeing in Canadian wilderness, reading dozens of first-hand accounts of boating disasters, and many hours of monitoring VHF marine Coast Guard transmissions from coastal waters), I'm convinced that among the very best signalling devices are the large and expensive 25mm flares (day or night), and big orange smoke signals if the wind isn't howling during the day. Many times I have heard Coast Guard transmissions notifying that a flare was sighted in this and such area and investigations being initiated. Other signals can be easily overlooked and ignored, but those big 25 mm flares generally always mean someone's in deep doodoo (or soon will be if they've launched such a flare without being in any real danger). I don't count on anything less when on the ocean. Hand flares are excellent for guiding in rescue vessels from short range as long as they are held well away from the body and craft and over the water. But those 25mm flares are very bright and can be seen for miles, and really do attract attention.

#211732 - 11/22/10 03:10 AM Re: A rescue at sea: cautionary tale [Re: rafowell]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
EPIRB?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 179 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.