Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#211615 - 11/20/10 02:52 AM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: SwampDonkey]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Regarding the "curved knife" -- I have always seen that referred to as a "Green River Knife," the primary tool of the skinner/hunter/trapper of the day. The design stuck because, simply, it worked. They were manufactured in their untold thousands/millions and used across the continent. Each one has tales to tell, and is worth keeping.

There are many other made-for-purpose antique knives. I have a couple that were hand-made by my grandfather, from old circular saw blades (the kind that were six feet across). One is a genuine pig-sticker, used to slaughter hogs. The other is a turkey knife, which was used to slaughter turkeys; the method of its use is ingenious and likely quite humane, though a bit freaky.

#211616 - 11/20/10 03:00 AM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: Art_in_FL]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Originally Posted By: Blast
*sigh* You all find cool stuff. All I find are friendly, young topless women. -Blast

A gentleman, not that I've ever been accused of being one, does not kiss and tell.

Bummer, how those pixels on your camera failed.

I suspect Blast is already in enough trouble with the distaff half; this is just full public disclose, all tell and no kiss, throwing oneself on the mercy of the court.

I was at least expecting pasties and tassels, though. Burlesque is back, and so it should be; a thoughtful counterpoint to the increasingly vicious stuff on the Web.

#211624 - 11/20/10 04:15 AM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: SwampDonkey]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Blast, all, after careful examination I conclude the young women at issue were in fact NOT TOPLESS! The closer I looked the more conviced I became that these women were fully equipped with the tops that nature intended for the fairer sex. It was somewhat annoying to find my computer somehow glitched some black bars over areas of interest, however.

Edited by dweste (11/20/10 04:16 AM)

#211635 - 11/20/10 01:11 PM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: SwampDonkey]
sotto Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Where I find a lot of stuff is around old logging camps, the best place to search is in the overgrown camp dump because the discarded glass is often in perfect condition.

Every now and then when visiting my old tramping grounds in the midwest, I have occasion to explore the old dump near my bro's farmhouse. We have found old glass and crockery there going back 130 years.

#211663 - 11/20/10 09:22 PM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: dougwalkabout]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Regarding the "curved knife" -- I have always seen that referred to as a "Green River Knife," the primary tool of the skinner/hunter/trapper of the day. The design stuck because, simply, it worked. They were manufactured in their untold thousands/millions and used across the continent. Each one has tales to tell, and is worth keeping.

Doug is correct on the above. These knives are not all that rare up here and can found here time to time in old homes, garages, antique stores, yard sales, estate sales etc. The knives on their own are just another old knife, but as Doug also alluded to, the tales those knives could tell, make them worthy to keep.

Whenever I find such an old item it never fails to intrigue me. I always wonder who owned it, what made them buy/make it? What/where did the owner(s) go and do with the item and how/why did it come to be here where I am now seeing it...perhaps over a hundred years or more later?

John Lubbock

#211666 - 11/20/10 09:37 PM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: SwampDonkey]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Mike: Thanks for sharing your very unique find and story.

I have found many things over years while tramping around in the outdoors, however my most prized find is a small dinosaur bone (2-1/4" x 2" x 1/2') that according to a paleontologist is thought to be about 145 - 100 million years old (give or take a few million years either way). This era of time is more commonly known as the Cretaceous Period.

John Lubbock

#211733 - 11/22/10 03:12 AM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: Teslinhiker]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Teslinhiker - WOW a dinosaur bone is a terrific find, Nice. I have also always wanted to find a meteorite piece (something from another world).

With my Father about 40 years ago we found numerous First Nation Artifacts (arrowheads, pottery pieces, a tomahawk head, skinning flakes). They are proudly displayed in his living room to this day. Mike

#211736 - 11/22/10 04:06 AM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: SwampDonkey]
Newsman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NW Arkansas
SwampDonkey, finding a meteorite is easier than you think, if you're willing to settle for micrometeorites.

http://www.solarviews.com/eng/edu/micromet.htm

Get a rare-earth magnet (neodymium) and a petri dish or a glass bowl. Put your supermagnet in the bowl and run it through the collection area mentioned in the article above. Reason for the glass or plastic is that neodymium magnets are so strong that once the micrometeorites are picked up by the magnet they are stuck forever: The bowl allows you to pull the metallic meteorites from the debris, then separate them from the magnet.

Not as romantic as finding one out in the woods on your own, but it does have a tad of coolness. But when you show your collected tiny pile of micrometeorites to people, most will yawn, and they won't believe you.

Neodymium magnets are extremely powerful. You can pick things up through your hand. I had one that could affect a computer monitor 6 feet away.

#211737 - 11/22/10 04:42 AM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: Newsman]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Thanks Newsman! I really would like a meteorite big enough to handle and display buy micrometoerites would be a cool project to do with my kids.

Neodymium magnets may also be useful when doing hand MAGIC, now I just have to think of a fun trick. Mike

#211740 - 11/22/10 05:14 AM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: SwampDonkey]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Hiking John Muir Trail one summer I pitched a camp earlier than I would as an afternoon storm was coming in. Walking around the area a bit I found several arrowheads. Most were broken but a few were in excellent condition.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.