Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#211563 - 11/19/10 03:21 AM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: SwampDonkey]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
*sigh* You all find cool stuff. All I find are friendly, young topless women. frown whistle grin

-Blast

Edited by Blast (11/19/10 03:23 AM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#211564 - 11/19/10 03:34 AM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: Blast]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Blast - If this is a contest then I have been defeated; Topless, Friendly, Young, Women beat broken canoes and weather balloons every time!

I need to have adventures in warmer places.

Mike

#211566 - 11/19/10 04:26 AM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: Blast]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
If their Chapperones weren't There,I'll bet they'd of said"Canoe come out n'Play?",Followed by a Grand Breakfast of Chorizo & Muffins!:)

#211567 - 11/19/10 04:54 AM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: SwampDonkey]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Mike, my sincere thanks for the photos. I absolutely love this stuff. Reminds me of bushwhacking outside of Dawson City YT in '98 to find the riverboat graveyard. BTW, I picked up that exact same knife (lower pic in your last photo) for $5 at a swap meet. Carbon steel, takes a great edge, and I know nothing else; any info greatly welcomed.

Blast, I'm obviously paddling the wrong rivers. Ah, the wonders of nature!

#211568 - 11/19/10 05:21 AM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: SwampDonkey]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Mike..some of the local history buffs might want to know about this,there could be story's about "Old Jim" who went trapping and never came came back,or something like that.maybe a connection could be made to some local folklore.but on the other hand the bush is probably filled with ditched canoes.when you head back have a look around,without damaging the canoe,for anything else that might have been cached by the owner.

#211579 - 11/19/10 01:38 PM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: CANOEDOGS]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Doug - The knife came from a founding member of my father's hunt camp, the member has long since passed away. I suspect he carried the knife in the 40's maybe earlier, I have no idea on the actual age of the knife and there is no makers name on it. It is carbon steel, full tang, has a brass handgaurd, antler grips and a nice leather sheath.

I have been tempted to carry it hunting just for old times sake.

Mike

#211580 - 11/19/10 01:48 PM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: CANOEDOGS]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

CANOEDOGS - The old canoe is not far off the trappers trail which is still actively used by the current trapper. I have never met the trapper but saw plywood "cubby boxes" along the trail which are used to hold a 120 Conibear trap for trapping marten. It the winter the old canoe would be quite visible from the trail. The site is 2 lakes north of what used to be the main cross Canada railway, I suspect the canoe came in by rail and was used by the trapper on the remote chain of lakes before it was cached and forgotten. The neareast small town to this site is a rough 60km away.

Where I find a lot of stuff is around old logging camps, the best place to search is in the overgrown camp dump because the discarded glass is often in perfect condition.

Later, Mike

#211586 - 11/19/10 06:02 PM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: SwampDonkey]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Hikemor - I have no idea on the age of the old canoe I found, I do know that the area was accessed by road only 3 years ago. CANOEDOGS may be close on the age and make of the canoe as the area was used by trappers who marketed fur to the Hudson Bay Company. I will be in the area of the canoe again next fall and can check it out closer.

I mentioned the copper and brass tacks in my first post and CANOEDOGS gave a discription of how they were installed in his reply. I removed 2 of the tacks from a piece of the rotton wood of the canoe and the tacks can be seen in the image below, with a couple of period knives.

This fall while deer hunting in Central Ontario I found another neat thing.
I was in a remote location and saw what I thought was a piece of out-of-place aluminum garbage so I walked over to pick it up and pack it out of the bush. It turned out to be a mylar bag and beside it was some stryofoam and electronic parts? The return address on the bag solved the mystery, " National Weather Service Radiosonde Reconditioning Group, Kansas City Missouri", I had found a Weather Balloon "crash site". The radiosonde instrument, the soft battery pack and even the mylar bag were badly chewed by bears. I thought it was neat so I carried it out to show my hunting partners. At home I accessed the Weather Service site and found out that if the radiosonde is damaged then they do not want it returned for refurbishing (I returned a good one in the mid 80's); so my daughter is going to take it into her Grade 10 Science Class as a discussion item when they study weather.

Here is an image of what I found and the Weather Service discription.

Mike

Mike, what do you know about the curved knife (top of picture) I ask as I have one very similar that was found in my Grandfather's barn after he died in 1959. The tacks are different than the one in your picture, but brass with much larger heads.

Thanks,

#211588 - 11/19/10 09:28 PM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: rebwa]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Rebwa - I know little about the curved knife. I was given it by my mother when I was a teenager as part of a butchering kit that she bought from an old hunter at a garage sale. I store it in a split piece of fire hose and use it for skinning big game. It is carbon steel and sharpens easly to a very sharp edge. I see them for sale on the back cover of "Backwoodsman" Magazine.

Got to go!

Mike

#211601 - 11/19/10 11:57 PM Re: Interesting Things You Find On An Adventure! [Re: Blast]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Blast
*sigh* You all find cool stuff. All I find are friendly, young topless women. -Blast

A gentleman, not that I've ever been accused of being one, does not kiss and tell.

Bummer, how those pixels on your camera failed. And why is the guy in the middle so overdressed.

One day, when you're old enough, I'll tell you about a trip to the Dry Tortugas and a week spent on Loggerhead Key.

One day I shall hire a proofreader, lol.

Edited by Art_in_FL (11/20/10 06:41 AM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.