Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#207874 - 09/13/10 05:27 AM Re: Women-Specific Gear & Concerns [Re: rebwa]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Dunno if this kinda thing has been mentioned but maybe these things?

http://www.campmor.com/lady-j.shtml

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___88314

#208672 - 09/29/10 03:04 AM Re: Women-Specific Gear & Concerns [Re: rebwa]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
To fit a dog crate in my car last week I had to take my gear-hauler 99-gallon Action Packers out. Was a good opportunity to inventory and re-pack -- starting with clothes appropriate to fall-winter.

The big to-do remaining for packing the car is food. In re-reading this thread I was reminded of Hikermor's suggestion for canned foods. So am going to look at a mix of canned, freeze-dried (Mountain House) and Luna-MoJo bars. Not sure how much -- enough for 2 or 3 days, I think. Have to pack for Gidget, too.

Just now occurs to me I should get another can opener -- for the car.

So already a useful thread for me -- worthwhile to review occasionally. Thanks, Rebwa, for starting it.

#211429 - 11/16/10 10:04 PM Re: Women-Specific Gear & Concerns [Re: rebwa]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Ladies,

Have you winterized your vehicle? Gives me peace of mind to know my battery is strong, tire tread is substantial and the car has fresh oil and the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval from my mechanic. One of my headlights went out last month and both have been replaced so that's bonus.

Also cleaned out the interior and re-packed it with road safety gear, survival gear, winter clothes, boots, some food and fresh water.

Later on I'll put chains in and a small snow shovel.

What do you all do to be road-ready in the winter?

Edited by Dagny (11/16/10 10:51 PM)

#211431 - 11/16/10 10:50 PM Re: Women-Specific Gear & Concerns [Re: rebwa]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

An obvious winter priority in the event of being stranded is to be able to stay warm. To that end, I have in the car (Honda Element) a sleeping bag, boots, ski socks, long underwear, fleece hat/gaiter, mittens/gloves...

To be able to warm up from the inside I also have in there a Jetboil stove, Kelly Kettle and a few ways to start a fire.

For fire ignition, I have in the car (and in my backpack when hiking):

- matches (REI's "stormproof")
- lighter
- firesteel rods

For fire tender/fuel, I have in the car:

- magnesium rods
- vaselined cotton balls
- fatwood
- Diamond-brand Strike-a-Fire starters
- Duraflame log
- super-fine steel wool

Upon a recommendation in another ETS thread, I had bought from www.firesteel.com several different sizes of firesteel rods, their magnesium rod and "strikers."

Today I played with them in the rain. With surprising ease, the firesteel ignited a vaselined cotton ball in four strikes. With some magnesium scraped onto a vaselined cotton ball there was ignition in just two strikes of the firesteel rod.

I'm delighted by these www.firesteel.com fire-making tools. I have a few of the "Light My Fire" brand that REI sells but haven't used those much and can't say whether there is a difference, but many say there is.

So I highly recommend this combo from firesteel.com -- to be kept in the car and to be carried in a backpack or purse if some distance from home. Have decided that these will be central to a couple Hanukkah and Christmas gifts -- for my sister who drives up Mt. Hood frequently (Oregon) and a friend out here who has recently decided to keep some rudimentary survival stuff in her car (such as a blanket).

http://firesteel.com/products/FireSteel-Armageddon-with-Scraper-Lanyard-and-Magnesium.html

I also got one of the firesteel tube-compass devices they are now selling. Will post pics later. Firesteel, based in New Hampshire, got this stuff to me within a couple of days of ordering. Great product, great service.

#211432 - 11/16/10 11:06 PM Re: Women-Specific Gear & Concerns [Re: rebwa]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Have begun sketching out the gift car kits that I'll assemble for my sister and my friend (who at my behest now carries a Fox-40 whistle at all times and started carrying Doug's e-PICO light after I used mine to find the cell phone she dropped). I'm organizing it around the basic categories and will include a list of items that they should add (such as flashlight+batteries, water). I list prices by some of the items that I'll have to buy and no price next to items that I will provide from my supplies. Occurs to me just now that I might throw in Doug's survival advice that he includes with his little CRKT knives. Any other suggestions? Don't want to add a lot more expense to this kit. At some point they're on their own.... And I haven't figured out what to put all this in.

Fire

Firesteel-scraper-magnesium $12.29
vaselined cotton balls
Fatwood
REI matches

Shelter

AMK heatsheets blanket $4.50
Paracord (orange)
Garbage bag (poncho)

Food+utensils

Luna Bars (2) $2.50
Fork-spoon $3
Stainless steel Sierra Cup $9.50
Tea bags

Tools

Knife (Mora #911 - carbon steel) $12.00
Compass (20mm) $3.59
Duct tape

#211436 - 11/17/10 01:02 AM Re: Women-Specific Gear & Concerns [Re: Dagny]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

And I haven't figured out what to put all this in.

These might be a tad large but hopefully they might add some gear.

Sorry can't get the link to work but they are on sale for $7.49

Edited by rebwa (11/18/10 07:05 PM)

#211439 - 11/17/10 01:17 AM Re: Women-Specific Gear & Concerns [Re: rebwa]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

That is a nice price - thanks.

I'm inclined to put this stuff in a soft bag, or two. My friend has a Prius so is pressed for space.

#211440 - 11/17/10 01:44 AM Re: Women-Specific Gear & Concerns [Re: rebwa]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Dagny, I have to say the vehicle kits are a great idea for gifts. You might want to include a Bandanna in a bright color, they can be found for under $2.

You’ve inspired me to put together a pocket sized survival kit for dogs for a couple of dog pals.

Ideas so far: Please chime in.

Gas-X

Antihistamine

Couple of pill pockets

vet wrap-- re-wrapped around a card

Gauze pad and non stick pad

spare leash made out of cordage

Vital signs card for canines

For containers, I'm thinking of either the witz container or the 1000 Otterbox.

#211442 - 11/17/10 02:26 AM Re: Women-Specific Gear & Concerns [Re: rebwa]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Dog kits -- very nice idea!

Pepcid AC

Neosporin

Gold's Medicated Powder (hot spots)

For containers, I use LL Bean soft lunch boxes for kids.

#211458 - 11/17/10 04:15 PM Re: Women-Specific Gear & Concerns [Re: Dagny]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Dagny
Ladies,

Have you winterized your vehicle? Gives me peace of mind to know my battery is strong, tire tread is substantial and the car has fresh oil and the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval from my mechanic. One of my headlights went out last month and both have been replaced so that's bonus.

Also cleaned out the interior and re-packed it with road safety gear, survival gear, winter clothes, boots, some food and fresh water.

Later on I'll put chains in and a small snow shovel.

What do you all do to be road-ready in the winter?

Just had the tires and batt and windshield wipers changed as well as a service. Did the glass all the way around on the SUV myself with Rain-X and re-packed a container with compact sleeping bags, wool blanket, winter clothing, boots, body, foot and hand warmers. Checked all the emergency gear and batts. Put the snow peak stove with a couple of canisters back in and beefed up the fire making kit for winter. I too carry a small folding snow shovel all winter long but will also toss this one that I found yesterday in when snow is in the forecast, $19.95 at Costco. I also carry a portable batt box with tire inflator and it needs to be recharged fairly often, plus a tow line in case of slipping off a rural road.

http://www.suncast.com/productdisplay.aspx?id=413&pid=43

I have 4wd so I only carry chains if crossing the Cascades in the winter. I really dislike chains.

Then after all this was done, I noticed one of my fog lights was out last night--so back to the dealer today to get both changed.

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.