The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#221196 - 04/08/11 08:02 PM Re: Growing My Urban Survival Garden [Re: Pete]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
My backup starch supply started as a couple of jerusalem artichokes dropped in a hole in the ground. They thrive on neglect, look like tall weeds, store themselves in the ground and don't need to be replanted every year.

Sunchokes don't agree with everyone's digestive system. I wonder if 'taters can be left to go wild like that?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#221202 - 04/08/11 10:16 PM Re: Growing My Urban Survival Garden [Re: thseng]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Fall through mid-winter sunchokes consist mainly of inulin, a complex starch that humans CAN'T digest, but fart-making bacteria can eat just fine.

However, in late winter enzymes in sunchoke tubers begin breaking down the inulin into the simpler sugars the plant needs to grow...and that can also be digested as easily as potato starches. It's really quite fascinating, about the time the Native Americans had used up their winter stockpile of food and were facing starvation the sunchoke (aka Jerusalem artichoke) tubers suddenly were able to give them nourishment.

-Blast

edit: fixed to "humans CAN'T digest"

Edited by Blast (04/09/11 12:29 AM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#221228 - 04/09/11 11:49 AM Re: Growing My Urban Survival Garden [Re: Blast]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: Blast
Fall through mid-winter sunchokes consist mainly of inulin, a complex starch that humans CAN'T digest, but fart-making bacteria can eat just fine.

Blast, my understanding was that the bacteria finally do break it down into something digestible. Perhaps not very efficiently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inulin#Fate_in_vivo

Good to know that they are more digestible in late winter, though. I had read that they are best following the first hard frost.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#221247 - 04/09/11 06:18 PM Re: Growing My Urban Survival Garden [Re: thseng]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I wonder if 'taters can be left to go wild like that?"

Kinda-sorta... any little 'taters you missed during harvesting will probably sprout the following spring, although that may depend on how hard your winters are. If any sprout in spring, they also tend to be green with solanine, so you can't eat those, but green ones may be just fine as seed potatoes. (They may not be green if they are deep enough, but my chickens always uncover mind.)

If you deliberately left some smaller ones there, marked the edges of the bed, and sprinkled the area with a complete organic fertilizer in spring (no lime or ashes!), and then covered the bed with 3" or so of collected leaves or fluffed straw, adding more as the tops got taller, you might just have a decent harvest.

I think the big issue is disease -- the longer potatoes grow in the same place, the greater the chance for disease. If you started out with certified disease-free seed stock, you might postpone it, but potatoes have the reputation of being disease magnets.

This just a theory I would like to try someday, AFTER I have tightened up the interior fencing so the chickens stay out of the area. Unless a disease gets started in the soil from repeated use, it should work.

Right now, I just set aside the small potatoes at harvest and put them in an airy container and just let them sprout in spring, and put them in a new bed. This will be the third year for the same potato stock, so I'll see how it goes.

Sue

#221482 - 04/13/11 01:58 PM Re: Growing My Urban Survival Garden [Re: The_Urbivalist]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Great, and helpful, information Blast. Thanks.

#221489 - 04/13/11 04:49 PM Re: Growing My Urban Survival Garden [Re: The_Urbivalist]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Who needs buckets? We live "out in the country" by most city slickers standards. We are enjoying partaking of the wild edibles coming up in our yard, which is left to go au naturale (much to the neighbor's dismay I am certain). Currently in are dandelions, wild violets, and wild onions. We are waiting for sour grass to come up, and experimenting to see what else comes up or that we can identify that is edible. Spring is a yummy time of year here laugh

#221491 - 04/13/11 06:01 PM Re: Growing My Urban Survival Garden [Re: The_Urbivalist]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The 'buckets' concept has a lot of merit -- not only for urbanites, but for people like me who live in zones with a limited growing season. It doesn't take much to move a few buckets twice a day -- first into the sun once the temps are up, and later to a warm location to avoid the evening frost.

-Doug, who is hungry for gardening, but can't plant until mid-May

Edited by dougwalkabout (04/13/11 06:03 PM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 252 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.