The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#210664 - 10/31/10 03:43 PM Re: Growing My Urban Survival Garden [Re: Blast]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

two words, hand pollination

#210790 - 11/03/10 03:03 AM Re: Growing My Urban Survival Garden [Re: The_Urbivalist]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Only five vegetables would be excruciatingly boring, it would be hard to get enough calories, and the more sources you have, the better the complete nutrition would be. At least go for ten, and fifteen would be better.

If you're dependent on a vegetarian diet (no meat/fish/dairy/eggs), your body still needs all the amino acid-rich proteins, so you would need to eat either grains+legumes, or nuts+seeds+legumes, or corn+legumes in the same day to get what you need.

Sweet potatoes
Regular potatoes
Beans
Lentils
Peas
Soybeans (complete protein, all amino acids)
Beet greens
Spinach
Kale
Broccoli
Tomatoes
Pumpkin/winter squash
Artichoke
Asparagus
Wheat
Quinoa (complete protein, all amino acids)

Sue

#210808 - 11/03/10 01:25 PM Re: Growing My Urban Survival Garden [Re: The_Urbivalist]
sotto Offline
Addict

Frankly, the trouble with gardens is they are a lot of work. I know because from the time I could walk until I left home, my responsibility was to weed the garden. We had a corner lot with a huge back yard that went all the way from the street to the alley, ALL of which was garden. My parents didn't think that was enough, so we also used part of the neighbors garden across the street (garden the same size as ours). Yes, you can mulch etc etc but it's still a lot of work. This quickly taught me that it was much better for me to study and try to get a job where I could pay someone else for vegetables. Thankfully, I haven't touched a weed in 44 years, and just as thankfully, I haven't mowed a blade of grass in 25 years. However, previous to that for much of the year I mowed 2/3 of an acre with a push mower every 5-6 days.

I'm thinking of planting a tomato plant in a bucket just for nostalgia's sake. It will never get weeded and my lawn sprinkler will water it.

#210849 - 11/04/10 01:02 AM Re: Growing My Urban Survival Garden [Re: The_Urbivalist]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Aquaponics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaponics

Edit: urban aquaponics: http://singularityhub.com/2010/06/17/the...isconsin-video/

Think I have seem systems that add a small mammal component, such as rabbits or guinea pigs.

Edited by dweste (11/04/10 02:45 AM)

#210856 - 11/04/10 05:20 AM Re: Growing My Urban Survival Garden [Re: The_Urbivalist]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
It all takes planning, it all takes effort, it all takes water, and it all takes know-how.

In a long-term food shortage, I would guesstimate that 90% of the American population would starve to death.

A cheerful thought, eh?

Sue

#210861 - 11/04/10 12:14 PM Re: Growing My Urban Survival Garden [Re: The_Urbivalist]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I'm just getting going in the whole gardening world, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

How much space do you have available for your garden?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#210943 - 11/06/10 11:41 AM Re: Growing My Urban Survival Garden [Re: The_Urbivalist]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Be creative in finding garden space in three dimensions. "Think like a plant" seeking the intersection of water, nutrients, and sunlight. Plant there.

You can move the water and nutrients around a bit, but can only supply sunlight equivalents at considerable expense and reliance on electricity; so go for natural, reliable sun!

Taking an aerial perspective, where on property you own, possess, or control does the sun shine? Yard? Pavement? Fence? Roof? Water? Other? Plant there.

A roof or fence garden of vines snaking up and out from planter or hydroponic "beds" to catch otherwise "un-used" sun can dramatically expand planting areas. Be creative, whatever the neighbors think.

"Cheat" into the fourth dimension, time. Start plants indoors, use cold frames and green houses, etcetera, to artificially increase growing seasons, decrease exposure to plant predators and diseases. Plant so tall vegetation protects more delicate "understory" vegetation until the tall stuff dies back or is harvested and the low stuff is ready to take on the unfiltered sun. Preserve the harvest by drying, canning, etcetera.

"Eat everything" by recycling inedible-by-human portions of the harvest through worm composting, heat composting, feeding to animals, etcetera.

Improve your soil but never let it rest. Always have plants ready to go. Enrich your soil every way you can.

Edited by dweste (11/06/10 11:45 AM)

#210959 - 11/06/10 08:14 PM Re: Growing My Urban Survival Garden [Re: The_Urbivalist]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Check out the tricks developed for French Intensive, Square Foot, and Medieval Monastery gardening. Learn to save seeds, espalier perennials, use sunlight reflector walls, etcetera.

Consider multi-use plants where more than one aspect of the plant is edible/useful [flowers, seeds, roots, stems, fruit, leaves, etcetera].

#220782 - 04/02/11 11:57 PM Re: Growing My Urban Survival Garden [Re: The_Urbivalist]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks gang! We're just planning this year's garden and you've given us a bunch of great ideas.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#220806 - 04/03/11 08:04 PM Re: Growing My Urban Survival Garden [Re: The_Urbivalist]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL

Dwarf fruit trees can also supplement your food stores tremendously. Within a few years, OK maybe 5 or more, you could get bushels of fruit from each tree every season. We have apple, peach, cherry, pear, and plum trees planted as saplings that produce most seasons.

Also, honeybees are a good source of sugar. They don't take up much space and are generally ambivalent about people.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.